Union Meets With Us Airways Executives

The Mole

Jan 14, 2004
Union representatives meet with US Airways executives and management...
Pam Terry, President, CWA Local 2000

The Labor Advisory Committee met with US Airways Corporate Officers and Management on Wednesday, February 2, 2004 at Corporate Headquarters. US Airways was represented by CEO Bruce Lakefield, CFO Ron Stanley, EVP and General Counsel Liz Lanier, EVP of Marketing and Planning Bruce Ashby, Senior VP Employee Relations Jerry Glass, VP Human Resources John Hedblom, VP Labor Relations Al Hemenway, as well as departmental managers. All labor groups attended the meeting. CWA was represented by CWA Local 2000 President Pam Terry, and Rick Braswell, CWA Staff.

The meeting’s purpose was to update the employee groups on the Company’s current financial condition and advise them of the Company’s future plans and prospects. Bruce Lakefield thanked employees for their difficult sacrifices and said all employees must continue working to keep US Airways flying, regardless of previous mistakes. Now that our labor costs are competitive with LCC’s, Management must continue to find operational and managerial cost-savings to align with those carriers as well. His biggest task in the next few months is finding an investor to contribute equity so that the carrier will emerge from bankruptcy.
Bruce Ashby and Ron Stanley presented a slide show of the Company’s position in an industry plagued by high fuel prices and below-cost ticket prices due to overcapacity. They presented various strategies to deal with changing markets. They anticipated that US Airways will continue to lose money the first quarter but should see a modest profit by end of 2005.

Jerry Glass outlined the options that the Company is exploring to minimize the termination of retiree health care. Union and retiree creditor representatives have seen group health insurance proposals for post-65 retirees to be available in the near future. He said additional group health insurance proposals for pre-65 retirees will be presented soon to employee representatives. Also concerning retirement, PBGC now controls all pensions. The Company will be sending information about retirement procedures to all eligible employees.

Jerry Glass then presented the outline proposal of a new joint initiative between management and labor to change our adversarial relationship. The lack of trust among employees, customers, and management has impacted the customer experience and will ultimately determine whether we will be successful. Bruce Lakefield agreed that, “We must put trust back in the airline.â€￾

By agreement of all parties present, the next Labor Advisory Committee meeting agenda will be determined and driven by the employee groups. That meeting should be next month.

After management belittled the work force to the media...has threatend workers with liquidation, rammed a 21 % paycut down our throats, had contracts voided in BK court, extorted concessions 3 times while themseleves getting pay raises....They want everyone to play nice...and friendly...... Yikes! :down:

Plus they are continueing to outsource work...more layoffs...forcing overtime on baggage handlers, etc....

Sounds like a real attempt by management to be real labor friendly to me...

Did anyone mention that him taking a huge paycut would do wonders to start up the "initiative between management and labor to change our adversarial relationship and help to start curing "The lack of trust among employees" and management?

I continue to be amazed how US Management continues to be totally "Clueless".

This is just the stock management 101 blather. So after he's screwed the employees time and time again, he's got the shameless huzpuh to talk about how management and the employees need to trust each other again.

I wonder if he had to practice that in front of a mirror to stop himself from laughing.

Be it further resolved, without ratification, that labor needs to trust management, after all labor needs to get paid, so that labor may continue to pay dues.

Sorry to say this, as I am putting my fire suit on, but you said yes, yes and yes to management.

Hey Reservation.
Your union as well as the MTC agreed to the outsourcing, not that it's cool, but it was agreed on! :)

The IAM never reached a tentative agreement, the membership voted on a final offer from the company that included outsourcing, unlike the CWA who reached a T/A that had outsourcing in it.

:down: This is funny has anyone in coperate looked at the pit. maintance operation? better relations .key points . 1/assult by a manager on mechanic over taking his parking space 2/REmove all places to shelter from cold when hangar doors opened.3/destroy all chairs onthe property and force people to stand and do research at the computers.{ever try to stand and use a computer for an hour chop. 4/ call police on employee because 350 pound gorrila supervisor felt threathened bt 160 lb. mechanic. BETTER RELATIONS GUESS THAT WOULD BE FLOGGING. FOR BEING SICK

I heard it Spina wants to run it like a Concentration Camp and force people to quit.

Maybe it was because noone wants to do overtime anymore, we are just waiting for out early outs, maybe we are sick of hearing people screaming/swearing at us on the phone "no wonder you are in bankruptcy', maybe we you have been beaten down as far as you can, and working for peanuts is the only option you have until you get the package and that will ensure you have medical insurance until you compete with all your other coworkers to find a job in your town, maybe people south of the border are nice, but dont understand American English, even though they meet the requirements of basic English, maybe acting like a robot and performing the job functions is all that is an option today.

MAYBE MANAGEMENT SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT THROUGH SOME OF THIS BEFORE THEY BERATED US AS DISPENSABLE.

poor 700... still in denial? The results my friend were the same. Thats a fact lol !

700UW said:
I heard it Spina wants to run it like a Concentration Camp and force people to quit.
[post="245903"][/post]​
Hangar 5 being run like a depression era sweat shop. everyone in hanger on verge of snapping. Isuspect someone will

I all ready heard an inspector in PIT did snap.

And to flyboi, you have no idea or no clue, we all know you were caught being something you are not, so you have no credibility and you can never add to the topic. Why don't you try and come up with something intelligent for a change.