Union Standoff Imperils Airline

Geezus.

Management gives a proposal to ALPA that is so rediculous, that they have no choice but to regect it.

Managment is bargaining in "bad faith". This U BOD wants an excuse to give the stock holders when they go and file BK this weekend. Blame labor so the stockholders don't end up suing the BOD and Bronner for fidudiciary irresponsibility.
Its again BS and a "low down" tactic from this managment, CEO, and BOD. As long as the pilots are still willig to discuss, the company should continue.

This will not shine well on the company if they move to abrogate in BK. ALPA neg. committee is still willing to renegotiate at the table.

No, whatever happens let's it get out in the open now before certain spin doctors begin their campaign to forever alter the truth - events of the past days did not kill US Airways! How about,

Buying PSA and Piedmont, two relatively low-cost carriers, and bringing all costs up to the shockingly high USAir level through a misguided "miror image" program.

Shutting down the west coast without ever having a plan to integrate east & west, thereby condemning the airline to permanent regional status with a one demensional, one market route structure crammed into the northeast, terribly vulnerable to local economic, weather, ATC, and LCC effects.

Building up PHL as the heart of the airline without ever figuring out how to operate it properly.

ALWAYS being a day late and a dollar short, always a step behind the rest of the world, always reacting not being proactive. Insisting to this day that "no one" could anticipate this, or that.

Wasting TWO BILLION dollars on Wolf's ill-conceived stock buyback program.

Wasting EIGHTEEN MONTHS on a merger that most of us knew was DOA on day one, blithely insisting all along "THERE IS NO PLAN B".

Siegel's 'fast track" CH. 11 program that did virtually nothing to fix the endemic structural problems at the airline.

Lastly, installing Lakefield and perhaps opening the slimmest window of opportunity for one final chance at "transforming" the corporate culture and moving forward with a real recovery plan, and then almost immediately squandering this last, best chance, by tragically insisting on returning to the tired, worn-out tactics of land-grab, overreach, false deadlines, and extortion.

The "RC4?"

Sleep the sound, dreamless sleep of the innocent and blameless my friends, as will this pilot. Our hands are washed clean.

I can't believe any self-respecting pilot would want any part of that crap the company threw back at them. Give the RC4 credit, they were put in an absolutely impossible position and didn't back down.

Pacemaker, you know you're right. When I started with USAir, the fleet was new, the pay was good, and we were treated nice. So, the day I broke my ankle when my foot went through the cabin floor of a delapidated Piedmont 727 called "Pride of The Everglades" I should have known this was just the beginning of a real long nightmare. Yeah, there are two sides to every story, but its all ancient history now isn't it?

PitBull:

8 out of 12 MEC members wanted to let the rank-and-file vote and decide whether or not the deal is satisfactory, not three men. As Bruce Lakefield said today, After all, we and your fellow employees trust you (pilot’s) to fly our aircraft and protect our passengers, just as we trust you to make the right decisions about your careers.

Why can’t the RC4 let the rank-and-file decide their own fate?

According to a MEC Rep, the MEC was “briefed by our advisors that upon entering bankruptcy, the company will go before the judge with a 1113 proceeding that increases their ask by 125-150%, vacates our entire exiting contract, and without any profit sharing or equity participation possibilities. Moreover, they continued, the maximum amount of leverage to strike a deal is now, while outside bankruptcy, because upon entering a Chapter 11 the world changes for the company once again, with forces outside their control (the ATSB, creditors, and DIP and exit fund providers) then able to exert considerable influence in shaping the outcome.â€￾

Oh yea, that is not big deal and the RC4 have not placed the membership at risk without permitting a vote.

By the way, not only are the pilot's at risk with no scope and fragmentation language, so is every employee at this company.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
8 out of 12 MEC members wanted to let the rank-and-file vote and decide whether or not the deal is satisfactory, not three men.

The MEC reps for a MAJORITY of the rank and file outvoted the terrified minority.

There is no Tentative Agreement for the rank and file to vote on. Had there been a TA, the rank and file would vote.

USA320Pilot said:
PitBull:

8 out of 12 MEC members wanted to let the rank-and-file vote and decide whether or not the deal is satisfactory, not three men. As Bruce Lakefield said today, After all, we and your fellow employees trust you (pilot’s) to fly our aircraft and protect our passengers, just as we trust you to make the right decisions about your careers.

Cause its a S%^& proposal. AFA will do the same if we are threatened with a deadline and the co. jams provisions and changes down our throats. We did this dance in Restruct. winter 2002, or did you forget the 5 day jam-down and it went out to the membership, and now they all scream of the hell they are in.

We won't repeat history, my friend.

USA320pilot there are alot of flying jobs in communist China that would be perfect for you. See, they like changing rules in the middle of the game when it doesn't suit them. I think you'd be really happy there.

USA320Pilot said:
PitBull:

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
[post="176952"][/post]​

Because if it goes to vote and is rejected you have wasted your opportunity to use self-help on the BK judge's contract. The RC4 preserved options.

Buy your wife a lunch pail and promise to never apply for a job at HP.

8 out of 12 MEC members wanted to let the rank-and-file vote and decide whether or not the deal is satisfactory, not three men.
but didn't you all vote to give these people the right to decide?very recently i might add??
you remind me of the citizens who see the popular vote support a win and then whine when the electoral vote goes against the grain.... <_<

"I should have known this was just the beginning of a real long nightmare. "

Yeah, I remember those USAir BAE-146's and BAC-111's with no first class, no overhead bin doors and seats that face the wrong way were real gems...

Pitbull, the problem with you and your partners in the north, is that youre in the past thinking this is buisness as usual. We have little choice about the total needed, what we can do is decide where it comes from. The tactics today doesnt work. As a AFA member, ive always said , unions are fine for day to day things, but when an airline is in trouble, they are worthless.

usfliboi said:
Pitbull, the problem with you and your partners in the north, is that youre in the past thinking this is buisness as usual. We have little choice about the total needed, what we can do is decide where it comes from. The tactics today doesnt work. As a AFA member, ive always said , unions are fine for day to day things, but when an airline is in trouble, they are worthless.
[post="177031"][/post]​

Gee, if you don't like being in a union what the heck are you doing here then? You did know that this and the majority of the airline business was unionized, but I guess you just wanted to 'fly high' and couldn't careless about those little details. :rolleyes:

blueoceans said:
"I should have known this was just the beginning of a real long nightmare. "

Yeah, I remember those USAir BAE-146's and BAC-111's with no first class, no overhead bin doors and seats that face the wrong way were real gems...
[post="177019"][/post]​

Ah, yes, the "BAC-asuarus" and the 146, yes, primitive planes to be sure. Hey, it's the little things that make flying enjoyable. You know like maintaining the cabin floor boards so they wouldn't rot out and let your foot fall through it. I guess that stuff didn't matter to you guys. :huh:

Latest posts