Unions Dues, Union Dues For What I Ask?

calibrator

Veteran
Jan 30, 2004
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05260/573302.stm

Union Attorneys Railed Against the Severances

Small mention at the “end of the articleâ€￾

Machinists attorney Jason Teele called them "offensive" and "horrendous," arguing it "sends the wrong message to the world."

It sure does…like: ATTENTION Business World Listen Up---we found a court system who agrees with us no matter how insane, how unjust, how out of order, awry, amiss, bad, evil, wicked, sinful, immoral, iniquitous, reprehensible. We found a judge and court system who rewards and even honors depravity while spitting in labors face.

Drastic situations require drastic solutions and if name calling in the press is the best the unions can do, then we the American workers are finished in this country as we willingly revert to slavery letting the “mastersâ€￾ rule our lives.

Unions dues, union dues for what I ask?

Another pot stirring post?

Were you around in 1992 when the non-union customer service and fleet service workers were at the company's mercy?

Lets see the company took all their sick time, vacation time and OJI time and replaced with a PDO system that took away accrued time. They froze their pension, made 40% of the them part time, contracted out mail and freight, made the part timers pay $300 a month for family insurance, cut the hours to 25 a week max for part timers, and that when the full timers forced to part time too and eliminated Express work and reduced catering locations.

I just like the way you try to stir the pot.

700UW said:
Another pot stirring post?

Were you around in 1992 when the non-union customer service and fleet service workers were at the company's mercy?

Lets see the company took all their sick time, vacation time and OJI time and replaced with a PDO system that took away accrued time. They froze their pension, made 40% of the them part time, contracted out mail and freight, made the part timers pay $300 a month for family insurance, cut the hours to 25 a week max for part timers, and that when the full timers forced to part time too and eliminated Express work and reduced catering locations.

I just like the way you try to stir the pot.
[post="302103"][/post]​
It's not stirring the pot 700, your union and most others have no defense, so you and like minded powerless union leaders attack the messenger and try diverting the truth that carries the very accurate message that union dues are doing nothing these days to stop the insanity corporate America is getting away with. You know this yet you defend this sorry excuse, this sorry no action the IAM takes.

This article appeared in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette today, the link apparently is not working.

Union dues are for the Union. Unions are a business. Unions are in business to make a profit. Union dues are one of the many facets of their profit machine. "Representing" employees is a side benefit. <_<

Seatacus said:
Union dues are for the Union. Unions are a business. Unions are in business to make a profit. Union dues are one of the many facets of their profit machine. "Representing" employees is a side benefit. <_<
[post="302112"][/post]​
How can anyone thinking clearly refute this statement? They can't.

if the union is to do business by way of getting union dues, then the union dues paying people deserve to get protected by the same union that their paying the dues too. unfortunately, the IAM didnt see it that way and they let go 600 ramp agents in 30 cities and a number of mechanice in the big cities. at least the CWA kept their employees in the same 30 cities that the iam lost

robbedagain said:
then the union dues paying people deserve to get protected by the same union that their paying the dues too.
[post="302131"][/post]​
Unfortunately once you vote in a Union there is no need for that Union to perform in order to keep your dues coming in. Perhaps we need some competition in the form of Unions bidding for the right to represent us. Hey, look what competition has done for the airlines. We've got low-cost carriers, how 'bout low cost unions. :)

Bob,

Contracts don't become amendable until 2012 for almost all the groups.

Much can happen in 7 years. I suspect "call me Doug" will come out with the retorhic to all of labor that things may turn downward and in order for them to STAY competitive...NO RAISES!"

That is what he is telling his f/as now.."freeze until 2012".

Its a dog and pony show. Just when you want things to change; you only find, that they are exactly the same.

Current wages are not sustainable, specifically for reserve status f/as. They will be displaced many times over and these moves are at their own expense.

The reserves will either be terminated for being out of base or quit (as they do now) Turnover will be great.

No. Breaking contracts is called "violation".

And negotitations takes a party of two. There is NOTHING to compell the company to negotiate if profits come in.

They will just send a sorry asszz profit sharing check at the end of that year that you can wipe your a$$ with. (Remember, the invesotors "modified" the profit sharing for Labor.

Investors are looking for big cash returns, along with senior managment for their bonuses.

Labor only receives compensation by major pressure on managment.

PineyBob said:
When I said "Break" the contract I meant Re-Open. Sorry for the confusion.
[post="302464"][/post]​

Bob, this isn't a Terrel Owens who seems to be able to amend his contracts yearly. Once signed, the contract stays in place; at least from the labor side. If things go badly management wants them reopened or else they wave BK in our face, but if times are good they point out we have a signed contract and we need to live with it. Once the contract finally becomes amenable it is usually two years later before a new contract gets in place.

IMO, it will be a cold day in hell when an airline of any real size voluntarilly opens a contract to better anything for the labor force. They generally figure that there are enough peopleout there to hire and train, rather then increase pay, benefits and working conditions.

While the training departments stay busy, that mentality also keeps many folks from getting up the pay ladders.