United Airlines to launch summer L.A. link

Paul

Veteran
Nov 15, 2005
United Airlines, facing new competition from Delta, will offer direct service between Aspen and Los Angeles this summer.

The weekend flights are a first for United, which has long offered one daily connection between Aspen and L.A. during the winter season, but never a summer link.

The airline, which also offers flights between Aspen and Denver, will offer nonstop connections between Aspen and the West Coast on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, starting June 9 and continuing through Sept. 3, it announced Tuesday.

The introduction comes on the heels of Delta Air Lines' announcement earlier this month that it will launch new jet service between Aspen and its Salt Lake City hub this summer. That service offers new options for travelers, including those seeking a West Coast connection.

United's Explus service from L.A. will leave at 6:05 p.m. Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, arriving in Aspen at 9:13 p.m. Westbound flights will depart Aspen at 8 p.m. Fridays and Sundays, arriving in L.A. at 9:12 p.m. An additional departure at 7:30 a.m. Sundays will arrive in L.A. at 8:42 a.m.

Next month, United will launch its Explus service in Aspen, operated by SkyWest, replacing the United Express service it currently offers through an operating agreement with Air Wisconsin.

SkyWest will fly the CRJ-700 regional jet for the Explus service. The availability of the jet facilitates the new L.A. service by United, according to Bill Tomcich, president of Stay Aspen Snowmass, a local reservations agency, and the resort's liaison to the airlines. United's current service to Aspen uses a limited fleet of Bae-146s. The aging jets handle both the Aspen/Denver connection and the winter flights between Aspen and L.A.

Aspen Times

I'm thinking Aspen during the WINTER would be more popular, I dunno... :lol: Maybe 'The planners' know something we don't.

Aspen is actually a very nice destination in the summer. Although I prefer the drive over Independence Pass from Denver to Aspen.

UA's route planners do know what they're doing. While there might not be all that much demand for weekend service from LAX to ASE, it is VERY high yield. So you don't need to generate as high of a load factor to cover your operating costs.