JAMAKE1

Veteran
Feb 15, 2003
SFO to DAB
Visit site
Press Release Source: United Airlines

United Airlines Announces Plans to Launch Nonstop Service to Kuwait
Wednesday May 24, 7:00 am ET
New service symbolizes the expansion of United's global network into the fast-growing Middle East region

CHICAGO, May 24 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- United Airlines today announced that it has plans to offer customers three new weekly flights* between Washington, D.C. and Kuwait City -- adding the Middle East region to its strong global network. Pending foreign government approval, United plans to begin service in late October 2006, and will be the only U.S. airline to offer nonstop service between the United States and Kuwait. Customers will be able to make reservations beginning Saturday, May 27.

"Launching service to Kuwait further demonstrates our commitment to expanding our global network, bringing our passenger and cargo customers closer to the world's key economic centers," says John Tague, United's executive vice president and chief revenue officer. "Our business and cargo customers will soon have direct access into the Middle East where there is strong demand from the petroleum, energy and shipping industries."

The proposed flight schedule between Washington, D.C. and Kuwait City will
be as follows:

Schedule Depart Arrive
Washington-Dulles
to Kuwait City 9:56 p.m. 5:55 p.m. (the following day)
departs Tue., Thu., Sat.

Kuwait City to
Washington-Dulles 12:35 a.m. 6:27 a.m.
departs Mon., Thu., Sat.

All routes and frequencies are subject to change.

United plans to operate combined passenger and cargo service between the United States and Kuwait using a Boeing-777 aircraft configured with 10 United First Suite® seats, 45 United Business® seats and 198 United Economy® class seats, including 84 Economy Plus® seats.

The new route is expected to serve as an important cargo access point into the Middle East, due to the region's high demand for oil and gas equipment, and perishables. Mail also is expected to represent a significant amount of volume on these flights.

United has had a long-standing presence in Kuwait through its partnership with STAR Alliance partner Lufthansa. United's global network will now be enhanced through its proposed nonstop service, which will provide travelers and shippers with convenient connections to more than 90 destinations via its Washington-Dulles hub.

*Pending Kuwaiti government approval :ph34r:

The idea of flying to a part of the world UA has no operations in is smart. WHY Kuwait? I think Dubai would be the first point served in the Persian Gulf.

The idea of flying to a part of the world UA has no operations in is smart. WHY Kuwait? I think Dubai would be the first point served in the Persian Gulf.
Dubai already has several flights to the US, operated by a carrier with a better reputation for service than UA. Kuwait is a very smart move. There is lots of traffic from DC to Kuwait these days.

Given the palatial sized U.S. Embassy currently under construction in the Green Zone, I'm sure it's just a matter of time before UA begins flying IAD-Baghdad nonstop!!! :D

whlinder, to answer your question, I'm sure the B777 will be freed up from seasonal market downsizing.

4 Army Bases located within 30 miles of KWI {Camp Arifjan, Camp Buehring, Camp Virginia and Ali Al Salem}, also 1 USAF Base. {50,000 + people}

Thousands of DOD contractors work those bases along with the Army/Air Force troops, most are on 1 year contracts and need a way to come/go.

Thousands of pounds of mail, which is transported by Military Cargo planes, which the military is wanting to sub-contract.

GOOD MOVE, been trying to buy a ticket home in Oct, but not yet in the reservation system. :D

Hourly BUFF service would be more suitable, but that's just me.... :lol:

b52-bombs.jpg