United and Continental stand ready to merge

Status
Not open for further replies.

767jetz

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Now that DL and NW have announced their long awaited merger, as predicted United and Continental stand ready to merge as well.

According to the sources of the articles, "Pilots unions at United and Continental have also held merger-related discussions, and merging those two work forces is not likely to be as major a hurdle as it has been with Delta and Northwest, the two sources said."

For the first time in a long time I am optimistic about our future. I have long been a supporter of a a UA/CO combination. IMO having CO's management running the assets of the combined airline will be a winning combination. I for one look forward to doing this right and working with our Continental counterparts in making our new airline the pride of the industry.

Now we just need to wait for the "official" announcement.

Here is the link:
Reuters article

Now that DL and NW have announced their long awaited merger, as predicted United and Continental stand ready to merge as well.

According to the sources of the articles, "Pilots unions at United and Continental have also held merger-related discussions, and merging those two work forces is not likely to be as major a hurdle as it has been with Delta and Northwest, the two sources said."

For the first time in a long time I am optimistic about our future. I have long been a supporter of a a UA/CO combination. IMO having CO's management running the assets of the combined airline will be a winning combination. I for one look forward to doing this right and working with our Continental counterparts in making our new airline the pride of the industry.

Now we just need to wait for the "official" announcement.

Here is the link:
Reuters article

Not enough LipStick... :p

question is when will they announce it i have read that it would be quickly if and when dl nw announce theirs which occurred last nite

question is when will they announce it i have read that it would be quickly if and when dl nw announce theirs which occurred last nite
Tilton was quick on the trigger to issue a response to the DL/NW news, which is odd for him. I think this was a preemptive message to prepare everyone for an official merger announcement in the days to come.

IMO

Tilton was quick on the trigger to issue a response to the DL/NW news, which is odd for him. I think this was a preemptive message to prepare everyone for an official merger announcement in the days to come.

IMO
One good airline get's to inherit another ones junk!!!!!! :down:

One good airline get's to inherit another ones junk!!!!!! :down:
Sorry but I disagree. The pilots of both airlines have been talking for months. And I know for a fact that most seniority issues will be resolved equitably. There will be no bad blood like the US/AWA merger. Sure there are differences of opinion. But both sides have agreed that there is enough benefit to spread around to make everyone relatively happy.

As for "junk," the only junk I can think of is the poor moral and displeasure with management at United. That is a product of our current management team. Since this merger would dump most of UA's management in favor of CO's (at least in positions of operational importance) that problem will go away very quickly. The employees at United are actually some of the best in the industry. They are just tired of being treated like crap by their employer. From what I have heard from the other unions, we mostly look forward to working with CO's management team. They are not perfect, but have a reputation for good employee relations.

There is very little overlap of UA's and CO's route structure, so reduction in size will be minimal, and keeping everyone where they are is relatively easy.

Any reduction in fleet might come from retiring older less economical airplanes. But again, this will have a minimal effect on manpower.

Sorry but I disagree. The pilots of both airlines have been talking for months. And I know for a fact that most seniority issues will be resolved equitably. There will be no bad blood like the US/AWA merger. Sure there are differences of opinion. But both sides have agreed that there is enough benefit to spread around to make everyone relatively happy.

As for "junk," the only junk I can think of is the poor moral and displeasure with management at United. That is a product of our current management team. Since this merger would dump most of UA's management in favor of CO's (at least in positions of operational importance) that problem will go away very quickly. The employees at United are actually some of the best in the industry. They are just tired of being treated like crap by their employer. From what I have heard from the other unions, we mostly look forward to working with CO's management team. They are not perfect, but have a reputation for good employee relations.

There is very little overlap of UA's and CO's route structure, so reduction in size will be minimal, and keeping everyone where they are is relatively easy.

Any reduction in fleet might come from retiring older less economical airplanes. But again, this will have a minimal effect on manpower.
What's your definition of minimal??????

Agree with this statement.. We are tired of being treeated like dirt at UAL. Our friends at CO are very happy and we would like to join them.
Let's not screw this merge up with fighting and any stupid crap. Otherwise we may end up like Pan AM selling into pieces and we are all out of work.
fight for what we deserve but allow this merge to go thru. I don't know anyone at UAL that is not looking forward to a merge with CO. We all
know we will be in a better place and hopefully better pay and good management that we can respect and show as the world leader of us airlines.

The picture you paint is how I would hope a UAL CO merger would work. But goal one is to get approval and goal two has nothing to do with the first hurdle. As I see it, your rosy picture will only occur if fuel drops significantly and or capacity is cut.

The CO pilots didn't want to have Glen Tilton in the picture. Even though Larry Kelherner was going to be the CEO, Tilton was going to be the Chairman. :down: At least this way the UAL pilots can bring the USAir east pilots back into the fold at ALPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.