United, Continental resume merger talks

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only real concern with this merger is that everyone pretty much can agree they want CO's management. Yet they want to continue the headquarters in Chicago, yet most of CO's management is in Houston. They only need the overhead of one headquarters, ie one accounting, one ops, one pass bureau etc. I suspect there would be quite a few Texans unwilling or unable to move to Chicago. Not to mention the weather, housing costs and income tax disadvantages. My fear is that UA management will continue by default.

They have already agreed to the structure of the new UA's management. It will be blending of both. Hopefully the worst of UA's will be gone, and the rest will learn a thing or two from their CO counterparts.

I wonder what will become of UA's training center in Denver. It is currently a ghost town compared to what it once was. UA was even trying to sell the property. It has the capacity to house a much larger operation. Maybe now they will move all training back to Denver and revitalize the place. TK was buzzing in the late 90's when we had over 10,000 pilots. Now we will be back to that size again.

Can anyone from CO tell us about your training facility?

EDITED BY MOD TO REMOVE DELETED POST

BTW, I will not be going anywhere. Dulles is very junior.

Anyway, as soon as we become one airline I will be headed to Houston.

My only real concern with this merger is that everyone pretty much can agree they want CO's management. Yet they want to continue the headquarters in Chicago, yet most of CO's management is in Houston. They only need the overhead of one headquarters, ie one accounting, one ops, one pass bureau etc. I suspect there would be quite a few Texans unwilling or unable to move to Chicago. Not to mention the weather, housing costs and income tax disadvantages. My fear is that UA management will continue by default.
Do you really think that those at the top really care about this?. The more that stay behind, the more money they save. If you want/need your job, you will go to Bismark if required to do so.

Continental and United To Combine

AP source: Continental and United to combine

By JOSHUA FREED
The Associated Press
Sunday, May 2, 2010; 6:29 PM

MINNEAPOLIS -- Directors at Continental and United airlines have approved a deal that would combine them into the world's largest airline, a source with knowledge of the situation said on Sunday.

Reactions: 1 person
Continental and United To Combine

AP source: Continental and United to combine

e
By JOSHUA FREED
The Associated Press
Sunday, May 2, 2010; 6:29 PM

MINNEAPOLIS -- Directors at Continental and United airlines have approved a deal that would combine them into the world's largest airline, a source with knowledge of the situation said on Sunday.

I feel for all you CO folk, you lose your name and have to be saddled with UA.

Media Reports on United / Continental Merger

Date: May 2, 2010
Type: AFA Article

PRINT
EMAIL

Ladies and Gentlemen:

The media is reporting both United and Continental Boards have approved a merger where United would acquire Continental in a stock swap deal. As we have stated throughout the consolidation discussion, remain calm and focused on fact. At this point all we have is media speculation and reporting. Once there is an official announcement we will address it more specifically. Once again, review our rights and protections:

I feel for all you CO folk, you lose your name and have to be saddled with UA.
Yes. Those poor CO folk are now "saddled" with the best route system on the planet. Poor, poor CO. :rolleyes:

Who cares what it's called, what color the airplanes are, or what uniform we wear. This airline will truly be a powerhouse. With Tilton gone, Smisek at the helm, bankruptcy contracts behind us, and employees who actually work together we can not lose. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either blind or jealous.

Go UA/CO!

Now that the merger has been announced please continue the discussion in the new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.