United Bumps Retiree Travel Perk to Back of Line

I suspect management knows full well what it is doing. The recent profit sharing payout, with all the parties, was made to appear to be a management gift. For one group that I know of, it was contractual. I am not sure which other "organized" groups had this in their contract.

The wage increase to CO front line employees also came at a most opportune time. What better way to attempt to tell workers they don't need collective bargaining and a contract.

The vacation passes TO ME, scream "we'll take care of you." ...... and I think most folks don't realize that what was done to the retirees was how they intend to "take care of you."

Honoring commitments made just isn't there.

Yes, that's the crux of the situation. What does CAL give for retiree medical? That's 'MY' waterloo.

Take Care,
B) xUT

I have to disagree. Unless using one of their 8 one way vacation passes, United retirees will board AFTER active employees. The "super priority afforded retirees with 25 years or more" has been done away with; however, with the new plan, all retirees will board after active employees, and unaccompanied spouses. On the subject of the alloted 8 one way vacation passes, CO employees will be able to bring their unused passes to the new program (up to 40), while as of day 1, UA employees will have a maximum of 8.
OK, sorry, if that is true I did not realize it. I thought they would essentially be converting years of service into an equivalent putative "seniority date" on the day of travel and board in that order.

OK, sorry, if that is true I did not realize it. I thought they would essentially be converting years of service into an equivalent putative "seniority date" on the day of travel and board in that order.

If you didn't have a clue, you probably shouldn't have said anything.
Just Saying... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 person
UA has desirable bases to live in, hence not to many commuters. On the flip side, who wants to live in CO bases? Therefore many people commute. As a retiree you have time to sit in an airport or move your travel days to get on a flight. Plus with your vacation passes you'll board along with the active employee at your seniority. Enjoy your retirement, buy a ticket.

In response to Borescope -- 1. The statement about the commuters is a fallacy that people are using trying to obfuscate the issue. UA has many many commuters, and they make plans accordingly and are expected to report on time. 2. The statement that retirees have time to sit in an airport and wait is another fallacy. Many have jobs which they must have to survive, many do vital volunteer work; many have other commitments. Also, think about it, the old folks don't have that much time left to spend waiting for anything... Our days are numbered, and there aren't as many as the young folks have. 3. Vacation passes - interesting you should bring that up. Let's see, UA employees will receive 8 one way passes on day 1; CO employees will be able to bring over ALL unused passes; and since employees get one for each eligible and have a 5 year life, they can have as many as oh, minimally, 48 to start with... so, right off the bat, the ratio is 48+:8... where is equality in that?

In response to Borescope -- 1. The statement about the commuters is a fallacy that people are using trying to obfuscate the issue. UA has many many commuters, and they make plans accordingly and are expected to report on time. 2. The statement that retirees have time to sit in an airport and wait is another fallacy. Many have jobs which they must have to survive, many do vital volunteer work; many have other commitments. Also, think about it, the old folks don't have that much time left to spend waiting for anything... Our days are numbered, and there aren't as many as the young folks have. 3. Vacation passes - interesting you should bring that up. Let's see, UA employees will receive 8 one way passes on day 1; CO employees will be able to bring over ALL unused passes; and since employees get one for each eligible and have a 5 year life, they can have as many as oh, minimally, 48 to start with... so, right off the bat, the ratio is 48+:8... where is equality in that?

Life isn't fair my friend, and this is no different. Not everything in life has "equality". Society has been conditioned over the years to believe that everyone and everything is equal. That's just not true and this is no different. Those people at CO earned their vacation passes. It's kind of like the guy who goes out and works his butt off to make a decent living and then we have the people who don't want to work, but expect to have "equality". Tell me that is fair. I'm not saying that is you, just that you happened to work on the wrong side of the tracks on this one. Hopefully you'll still be around in five years when everyone has your so called "equality".

Life isn't fair my friend, and this is no different. Not everything in life has "equality". Society has been conditioned over the years to believe that everyone and everything is equal. That's just not true and this is no different. Those people at CO earned their vacation passes. It's kind of like the guy who goes out and works his butt off to make a decent living and then we have the people who don't want to work, but expect to have "equality". Tell me that is fair. I'm not saying that is you, just that you happened to work on the wrong side of the tracks on this one. Hopefully you'll still be around in five years when everyone has your so called "equality".

So you are saying "just shut up and eat your mush!" Sorry, but the problems with this policy are just to easy to correct to drink anymore "Kool Aid" from the obvious winners..

Scabbing at CO finally worked out for you BoreDope.
You are right, life isn't fair and why do you speak of 'these' people when you are one?
B)

Why can't retirees ever keep what was promised--CONTRACTED to them? I'm not a retiree by any means, but I think it's criminal that companies can change things after the fact. It's like playing one on one basketball with a spoiled brat who when they see they're losing, they change the rules to suit them. It's crap! The excuses Smisek comes up with "Most of our employees used their vacation passes and don't have many accrued-if any", are weak. I'm never retiring from this outfit--they'll change things two weeks after I'm out the door.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't disagree with you about the changes but retirees don't have a contract.
Many had a contract when they retired. Do they really need to spar with the company into infinity? I would love to see a large group of retirees picketing airports and corporate offices!