United cuts schedule by 50%

Actually, A4A has been fighting for both loans and grants. In the long term, they're better off with loans, however the losses due to regulatory action are still something that needs to be considered, either by legislation or by lawsuits.

Be prepared for a response from the airlines along the lines of...
"Well, if I get the money and then have to pay it back you can just keep your old stinky rescue. I'll make the last set of stock buyback profiteers [with the exception of D. Parker and other BOD persons] give back their buyback profits.."

Cynical? Moi? How could you say such a thing?

Last edited:
We can only hope that Scott Kirby and other airline execs are being overly pessimistic about the time it takes to recover from current empty airplanes. It's possible that 1 or more of the major airlines would have to file bankruptcy if weak load factors continue for longer than 6 months. Whether you continue flying those empty airplanes or you put them in storage for a better day, you still have the problem of no money coming in. The airlines can not use the Wimpy approach to paying for jet fuel--to paraphrase..."give me a tank full of fuel today and I will gladly pay you for it on Tuesday."

I think they have to be pessimistic, Jim. People are learning that they can survive without travel, and from here onward, it will always be seen as a calculated risk for businesses, and business traffic is what supports the networks we have today.

There are other steps afoot apparently. Stay tuned to the Cooler vs. the dedicated airline forums...

I think they have to be pessimistic, Jim. People are learning that they can survive without travel, and from here onward, it will always be seen as a calculated risk for businesses, and business traffic is what supports the networks we have today.W

There are other steps afoot apparently. Stay tuned to the Cooler vs. the dedicated airline forums...
Well, I've seen nothing so far to contradict what you have just said...Heard from a friend that another friend of his just worked a flight last night from SEA to PIT with 12 passengers--4 in First Class, 8 in Coach. This cannot be maintained for long.

This just in.... sort of...

UA cut their EWR schedule to 139 daily flights to 62 destinations a couple weeks ago.

Today, they pulled the plug on NYC, bringing EWR down to 15 flights to 9 destinations. LGA goes from 18 flights to 2.

Bold. Unprecedented. Justified.

Nobody wants to fly into a hot zone, and those trying to leave are being ordered into self quarantine wherever they land, so this only makes sense. Apparently employees will continue to be paid.

His exit interview would be fun to sit in on.

OTOH, the CARES Act doesn't have language regarding hours worked. As we all know, that loophole has been used by DL, B6, and UA. The IAM withdrew their suit, but it would be nice to see a ruling on that one way or the other.

Overkill MY ARSE.
Brother, do YOU have ANY IDEA how MANY PEOPLE are in NYC and the immediate surrounding areas ???????????

Wanna' bet that ORANGE MAN has already started his CONCESSION SPEECH for not getting re-elected, Blaming it ALL on 'corona' ?????????????

Truck Frump !
How could you even type such an outrageous lie about the President? He most certainly will not take the coward's easy out and blame the virus. He will blame Obama. o_O:D