United Fights To Win At Dulles

Unless independence air suddenly buys widebodied airplanes & starts flying to LHR, EZE & GRU I wouldn't worry too much about them.

Don't know about that. AirTran does quite well in ATL vs DL without widebodies to LON, EZE, or GRU.

I believe JFK's point is that UA still has markets without competition from IAD, even if independence succeeds.

mweiss said:
I believe JFK's point is that UA still has markets without competition from IAD, even if independence succeeds.
Yes, but any hub, even one that primarily exists to feed international flights, needs a strong O&D market to succeed. This is primarily why AA failed in BNA and RDU, and NWA is struggling MEM. Indeed, one of the main reasons CO pulled out of DEN is that UA dominated the O&D market there. Take away the passengers that are beginning and/or ending their trips in the hub and it rapidly loses its viability.

BDLDFW said:
Don't know about that. AirTran does quite well in ATL vs DL without widebodies to LON, EZE, or GRU.
JetBlue out of JFK as well. Just because Ind Air won't be a competition on overseas, doesn't mean they can't lose substantial domestic market share at IAD as a result. Guess we'll see. Independance has their own [large] hurtles to get over as well!

Back