United Mechanics file for Representation vote!

MCI transplant

Veteran
Jun 4, 2003
<_< ----- The Teamsters have filed for a vote to represent UAL's Mechanics! And there are rummors of a Teamsters card drive at AFW! Any truth to it boys? :shock:

<_< ----- The Teamsters have filed for a vote to represent UAL's Mechanics! And there are rummors of a Teamsters card drive at AFW! Any truth to it boys? :shock:
The teamsters have stated that they have no interest in removing the most docile union in the history of unions--the twu. One must question their true intentions at UAL when they claim to want to better the industry, but refuse to help remove the twu at AA. They have made claims of stopping outsourcing at UAL, but have already negotiated the largest contractually allowed outsourcing at UPS, CAL, Air Trans, and SWA (AMFA extension was wages only). The real threat of the teamsters at UAL is the chance of going non-union because of the large amount of people on the street who are not likely to vote in the election, but count towards the 50%+1 required to keep "a" union on the property. The last I heard, that number makes up 40% or so of those who would be eligible to vote in an election. So with the chances of going non-union around the same as remaing union, I must question the teamsters true intent. If UAL goes non-union, it only weakens all of us going forward. Once again, if they intend to better the industry, they need to remove the twu at AA.

At least AMFA isn't trying to add "dead" and "fired" people to the list to prevent an election. If we had an election at AA, Voting for the Teamsters would be like voting for Joseph Stalin trying to oust the TWU NAZI's. As much as I don't care for the Teamsters, they would still be a better choice than the TWU. Any union would be better the TWU. The Watermelon Pickers Union could do a better job at representing the workers at AA.

The teamsters have stated that they have no interest in removing the most docile union in the history of unions--the twu. One must question their true intentions at UAL when they claim to want to better the industry, but refuse to help remove the twu at AA. They have made claims of stopping outsourcing at UAL, but have already negotiated the largest contractually allowed outsourcing at UPS, CAL, Air Trans, and SWA (AMFA extension was wages only). The real threat of the teamsters at UAL is the chance of going non-union because of the large amount of people on the street who are not likely to vote in the election, but count towards the 50%+1 required to keep "a" union on the property. The last I heard, that number makes up 40% or so of those who would be eligible to vote in an election. So with the chances of going non-union around the same as remaing union, I must question the teamsters true intent. If UAL goes non-union, it only weakens all of us going forward. Once again, if they intend to better the industry, they need to remove the twu at AA.
How can the teamsters negotiate something away that was never there in the first place? UPS, Southwest, and AirTran never had heavy overhaul. That is why UPS and Southwest pay their line AMTs so high is because the hack shops are the defacto B-scalers. As far as CO, they outsourced their heavy overhaul in the early 1980s when Lorenzo used bankruptcy to void all contracts; you really can't blame the IBT for that. In contrast, AMFA can be clearly blamed for the loss of heavy overhaul at NW, Alaska, and the upcoming sale of what remains of UA's overhaul (engines and components,); it happened on their watch. Not only did AMFA lose heavy overhaul at NW and Alaska, but the pay rates for the line AMTs that remain at those two airlines are either at parity with AA (Alaska Air) or at the bottom of the industry (NW). At least the IBT was able to obtain the highest rates of pay for the line AMTs at Southwest and UPS. The evidence shows quite clearly that the IBT is superior to AMFA.

the upcoming sale of what remains of UA's overhaul (engines and components,); it happened on their watch.
From what I read, the CEO of UAL is saying the mechanic and related employees are entitled to a vote prior to any sale, as a result of language put into the contract during the second round of BK cuts at UAL, under the AMFA. So yes, they did secure language, that was lacking under the iam's first trip through BK at UAL that ensures the membership will decide their own fate.

From what I read, the CEO of UAL is saying the mechanic and related employees are entitled to a vote prior to any sale, as a result of language put into the contract during the second round of BK cuts at UAL, under the AMFA. So yes, they did secure language, that was lacking under the iam's first trip through BK at UAL that ensures the membership will decide their own fate.

UAL AMFA M&R are 'living' under the IAM negotiated contract (exp: 2010)
The courts will decide our fate, the unions have little recourse other than 'arbitration'... :lol:

B) UT

UAL AMFA M&R are 'living' under the IAM negotiated contract (exp: 2010)
The courts will decide our fate, the unions have little recourse other than 'arbitration'... :lol:

B) UT
Yeah I realize that, but wasn't it AMFA that got the language added at the second round of cuts that allows for a membership vote on the closure or sale of SFO? aafsc is doing his usual anti-AMFA ramble, which is close second to his anti-TWA ramblings, and claims AMFA is responsible for the sale of SFO, but makes no mention of a vote to allow it.

the upcoming sale of what remains of UA's overhaul (engines and components,); it happened on their watch.

What exactly do you think happen at AFW with Teasel (sp). RR is a partner with AA with Teasel. From what I understand UAL is looking for an outside investor to partner up with on the Engine overhaul. To my understanding there is no spin off going to happen. It’s most likely will be a good deal for UAL AMT’s as it has been for AA AMT’s. The AMT’s that work for Teasel are the riches AMT’s at AA, 90K to 100K a year is nothing for them.

How can the teamsters negotiate something away that was never there in the first place? UPS, Southwest, and AirTran never had heavy overhaul. That is why UPS and Southwest pay their line AMTs so high is because the hack shops are the defacto B-scalers. As far as CO, they outsourced their heavy overhaul in the early 1980s when Lorenzo used bankruptcy to void all contracts; you really can't blame the IBT for that. In contrast, AMFA can be clearly blamed for the loss of heavy overhaul at NW, Alaska, and the upcoming sale of what remains of UA's overhaul (engines and components,); it happened on their watch. Not only did AMFA lose heavy overhaul at NW and Alaska, but the pay rates for the line AMTs that remain at those two airlines are either at parity with AA (Alaska Air) or at the bottom of the industry (NW). At least the IBT was able to obtain the highest rates of pay for the line AMTs at Southwest and UPS. The evidence shows quite clearly that the IBT is superior to AMFA.

Are you an AMT? I doubt it.. Why would any AMT listen to a baggage handler about the history of our craft using his own self serving opinion? Save your biased facts for the fleet service breakroom. ;)

Are you an AMT? I doubt it.. Why would any AMT listen to a baggage handler about the history of our craft using his own self serving opinion? Save your biased facts for the fleet service breakroom. ;)
It just crawls up your a$$ that this lowly ramp rat has the audacity to analyze and state the facts regarding AMFA's abysmal performance. :up: Over the years, large numbers of AMTs had no problem at all in exercising their rights of free speech when making disparaging and unsubstantiated remarks toward other work groups. Well, what's fair for one is fair for all; wonderful country we live in where EVERYONE has the right to free speech in the public domain. So, for me, this is sweet revenge.

What exactly do you think happen at AFW with Teasel (sp). RR is a partner with AA with Teasel. From what I understand UAL is looking for an outside investor to partner up with on the Engine overhaul. To my understanding there is no spin off going to happen. It’s most likely will be a good deal for UAL AMT’s as it has been for AA AMT’s. The AMT’s that work for Teasel are the riches AMT’s at AA, 90K to 100K a year is nothing for them.
It is possible that UAL could enter an AA/RR type agreement; however, given UA management's track record, I wouldn't hold my breath.

$90,000- $100,000 per year in relatively low cost Fort Worth? Aren't they represented by the same TWU contract as others? Doesn't this put them on par with or above UPS line pay?

Some Taesl people might be hauling in 100,000/yr, but they are living at work. One day the overtime will be over and they will come home to find out that they missed their kid's high school graduation,wedding,etc. I find it funny that certain people will scab for overtime after voting yes to get rid of doubletime. Some Taesl(and hangar) people should be shot for working unlimited overtime while there are people still on layoff status at their station.

So, for me, this is sweet revenge.

Well, at least you are honest about your motives, That said we can judge your posts accordingly.

AAFSC saw big cuts in pay but seeks "sweet revenge" against other workers who may have been verbally abusive but never took a dime out of his pocket.

aafsc claims that everything that happened "on AMFAs watch" is AMFAs fault, even if the incidents cited were enabled by language that was inserted by the ousted AFL-CIO union that preceeded AMFA and the RLA prevented AMFA from changing it. The fact is that all workers have suffered under the watch of "AFL-CIO unions", while they have done nothing, yet he doesnt blame them. The AFL-CIO makes the claim that their members unions stand as one, but time after time they have failed to deliver.

AMFA brought mechanics pay up by $10/hr, over 30% while those workers who only had AFL-CIO unions representing their class and craft oly saw half that(after a decade of no real increases). As a result, unlike AAFSC our hourly rates are still higher than they were prior to 2000(not including benifit cuts which AAFSC also gave).

aafsc,

I know you are not 100% TWU supporter, but trying to get thses folks on here to find fault in any other union but the TWU is a waste of time. It's too easy for them to blame the TWU for their problems....for the whole industry's problems.

Round and round and round they go....where they'll stop....no one knows!!

Back