United Sees End To Bankruptcy

Fly

Veteran
Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
United sees end to bankruptcy

Despite posting the industry's biggest first-quarter loss, United CFO Jake Brace is "very confident" the carrier will exit bankruptcy protection this year and secure $1.6 billion in federal loan guarantees. Brace tells the Financial Times that the "very thorough" review being done by the Air Transportation Stabilization Board (ATSB) is about over. The ATSB is the federal body assigned with reviewing the post-9/11 loan guarantee program. "We think we are pretty close to finished," Brace said, adding that despite high fuel prices, he expects to file a new business plan with the bankruptcy court by the end of next month. The carrier has slashed some $5 billion in costs as part of its new business plan. United filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in 2002 after the board rejected its initial request for loan guarantees. United's rivals object to further federal aid. CEO Glenn Tilton renewed his pitch, telling Airwise News/Reuters United has met all requirements. "A loan guarantee's a very valuable thing, and I qualify," Tilton said. "I satisfy the criteria. We're putting all of our energy and all of our efforts into satisfying their criteria and their diligence and their rigorous questions." Tilton told USA Today that even if the airline were to default, taxpayers wouldn't lose money because United's assets are worth two to three times the loan.

Fly said:
Tilton told USA Today that even if the airline were to default, taxpayers wouldn't lose money because United's assets are worth two to three times the loan.
This last statement by Tilton is puzzling - he's said it a lot lately.

Sure, the assets will be worth multiples of the new loan, but what about all the other liabilities? Like the existing debt secured by aircraft, engines and parts?

Will the $2 billion loan ($1.6 federally guaranteed) be UAL's only debt upon emergence from Ch 11? Somehow I doubt it.

IF UA has the assest that are 2 times the loan, a toal of $2B, then that would put assets at at least $4B, so how come they need a loan? Bankruptcy sould wipe out their debt and they just need a small loan to get going, like just $1B. I don't get it sometimes, because if I ran a business that really lost that much money, I would have to have shut down. How much of these losses are really just "paper" losses and not actually cash lost? Just wondering......

coolflyingfool said:
IF UA has the assest that are 2 times the loan, a toal of $2B, then that would put assets at at least $4B, so how come they need a loan? Bankruptcy sould wipe out their debt and they just need a small loan to get going, like just $1B. I don't get it sometimes, because if I ran a business that really lost that much money, I would have to have shut down. How much of these losses are really just "paper" losses and not actually cash lost? Just wondering......
Ch 11 bankruptcy doesn't "wipe out debt."

Most of UAL's debt is secured by aircraft, engines and parts. Although the lenders may agree to a reduction in interest rates (and perhaps a haircut on principal balance), the secured debt is certainly not "wiped out" as a result of their Ch 11 filing.

UAL needs the loan for working capital and liquidity and to pay off remaining DIP financing.

UAL's losses included billions in "paper" losses and billions in real cash spent above and beyond revenues.

Tilton can make a statement like this because all other creditors would be subordinated to the ATSB loan. The government won't lose money on an ATSB loan to United but some creditor farther down the pecking order will lose out.

WorldTraveler said:
Tilton can make a statement like this because all other creditors would be subordinated to the ATSB loan. The government won't lose money on an ATSB loan to United but some creditor farther down the pecking order will lose out.
BINGO, and a traditional source of post BK financing may not get the same assurances, so they would be taking a much bigger risk

Why would the lienholders agree to subordinate? Those with a first position on airplanes, engines and parts come ahead of anyone without collateral.

What collateral will UAL offer to the lenders of the guranteed loan?

Latest posts