United To Consider Acquisitions

Jan 14, 2004
From AP: feb 22

United Airlines aims to cut costs, increase revenue, consider acquisitions
Associated Press

CHICAGO - United Airlines, fresh out of bankruptcy, is focused on improving core operations and will consider acquisitions that would boost earnings, chief executive Glenn Tilton said Wednesday.

United, a unit of UAL Corp. and the second-largest U.S. airline by passenger traffic behind American Airlines, emerged from bankruptcy earlier this month.

Tilton, United's chairman and president, told analysts at an airline investment conference sponsored by JP Morgan that he expects to see consolidation in the airline sector.

"One thing we won't do is sit by and watch," he said during a Webcast presentation.

Tilton said United would look at acquisitions that would increase earnings per share.

"Consolidation is going to take place, and should take place, in spite of the fact that it's hard," he said.

This year, United expects to cut costs by another $300 million.

Chief Financial Officer Jake Brace said the airline cut labor costs by 25 percent during three years in bankruptcy but still needs to bring down operations expenses to catch up with competitors. The airline can do that mainly by "resource optimization," such as faster flight turnaround times, Brace said.

United plans to increase revenue from a number of sources. The airline's Economy Plus program, offering more seat room to passengers, has been a success and will generate $50 million a year from selling seats to non-elite customers, Brace said.

United now can bring in $1.5 billion a year in revenue from non-passenger business. That includes $800 million per year from its mileage program and $700 million per year from cargo services. Outsourcing maintenance will generate $250 million this year and is growing quickly.

Out of bankruptcy, United now can realize long-term potential with its strong international routes, Tilton said. In particular, it has a head start over other domestic airlines with routes and code-sharing partners in Japan and China.

But Brace said competition over trans-Atlantic routes is a concern.

Another focus at the conference is how soon cash-strapped U.S. airlines will be back in the market to order new airplanes. United won't need new aircraft any time soon, Brace said, since the average age of its fleet is 11 years old. Once United begins to beat forecasts laid out in its five-year business plan, the airline will look at purchasing new aircraft, Brace said.

Shares of Elk Grove Village, Ill.-based UAL Corp. rose 10 cents to $35.53 in midday trading Wednesday on the Nasdaq Stock Market.

This is all good news, and flies in the face of those who claimed that UAL would be aquired by another airline. (Are you listening USA320pilot and Bulscu???)

If there is any consolidation, UA will be in the driver's seat and it will clearly be an aquisition, not a merger.

Additionally as many of us have been telling the critics, (much to their disappointment) although there is no growth in UA's filed business plan, once we start to beat expectations growth will come in measured quantities. :up:

Tilton/Brace want the Germans to buy 'em out so they can ride off into the sunset with stuffed pockets and not be responsible for what happens next.

(see: Leo Mullin/Delta Airlines)

Now that W has agreeed to allow a foreign government to control our six major east coast ports I don't see how he can forbid majority ownership of our country's airlines.

Who would want to buy UA?

The point of the piece was not who would buy UA, but that UA should be in a position to buy. There are a lot of scenarios that could play out that involve parts of other airlines coming open for sale. We may not be talking UA/CO here, but UA buying NW's NRT operation or DL's European routes.

The whole point is that UA should never be in a weak position if the industry starts to consolidate. Remember that AA bought TWA only after UA announced it was buying USAir. A similar tit-for-tat might play out, and we don't want to be left without a choice or the ability to make good merger choices.

I wonder if Tilton was referring to acquiring more stock options. Oh, wait a minute, he gave himself more options. As if he didn't have enough, what is another 800,000 options. The rich get richer on the backs of the poor. just my thoughts....

The point of the piece was not who would buy UA, but that UA should be in a position to buy. There are a lot of scenarios that could play out that involve parts of other airlines coming open for sale. We may not be talking UA/CO here, but UA buying NW's NRT operation or DL's European routes.

The whole point is that UA should never be in a weak position if the industry starts to consolidate. Remember that AA bought TWA only after UA announced it was buying USAir. A similar tit-for-tat might play out, and we don't want to be left without a choice or the ability to make good merger choices.

Nope, you missed the point.

Who (i.e. foreign airline)would want to buy UA?

Your nonsense about 'buying NW/NRT rights or DL's European routes' is rubbish and old school thinking. Sure, AA bought TW because UA was a slam-dunk purchaser of US -- think again skippy!

UA is mortgaged down the last paper clip and you think they are going to buy anything? Tilton is merely standing up and shouting "look at me, please take us!" to anyone watching from overseas.

If there is any buying to be done, it will be a foreign outfit scooping up UA.

(and yeah, the board flamed me in late 2001 when I said UA would go CH11 -- look it up)

UA is mortgaged down the last paper clip and you think they are going to buy anything?

It doesn't really matter how leveraged UAL may be. The bigger point is that there are equity firms willing to finance further industry consolidation. If the right case is made for United to make an acquisitiion that will yield a a return on equity investment, then Wall Street will be more than willing to finance the right combination. Case in point: AWA/US.

I wonder if Tilton was referring to acquiring more stock options. Oh, wait a minute, he gave himself more options. As if he didn't have enough, what is another 800,000 options. The rich get richer on the backs of the poor.

Oh please, spare us the class warfare. How many poor folks possess the credentials or skill-set needed to bring a Fortune 500 Company the size of UAL out of bankruptcy, with its global route system intact, $7 bill in costs shedded, and $3 bill in exit financing lined up? I think that Tilton has proven his worth.

Tilton/Brace want the Germans to buy 'em out so they can ride off into the sunset with stuffed pockets and not be responsible for what happens next.

(see: Leo Mullin/Delta Airlines)

Now that W has agreeed to allow a foreign government to control our six major east coast ports I don't see how he can forbid majority ownership of our country's airlines.

Time for a little legal lesson. Foreign ownership of US airlines is limited to 25% of voting equity and 49% of total equity. So there is no way that the "Germans" can buy UA. This is a statutory requirement, so W can do nothing to change it on his own. It requires and Act of Congress to change, which is extremely unlikely.

This is all good news, and flies in the face of those who claimed that UAL would be aquired by another airline. (Are you listening USA320pilot and Bulscu???)

If there is any consolidation, UA will be in the driver's seat and it will clearly be an aquisition, not a merger.

Additionally as many of us have been telling the critics, (much to their disappointment) although there is no growth in UA's filed business plan, once we start to beat expectations growth will come in measured quantities. :up:

see you soon, in Chicago... :)

How many poor folks possess the credentials or skill-set needed to bring a Fortune 500 Company the size of UAL out of bankruptcy, with its global route system intact, $7 bill in costs shedded, and $3 bill in exit financing lined up? I think that Tilton has proven his worth.

I'd take issue with that, but then I've posted several times that executive compensation in this country is terribly out of whack and some reform may be needed, as compensation seems to be largely insulated from normal market forces.

The increase in excutive pay from ~40x average worker pay around 1980 to ~400x average worker pay circa 2004 says that something is out of whack there. "The rich get richer and the poor stay stagnant" isn't a good recipe for continued economic success.

But that's a whole other rant. Yes, Tilton got UAL (excuse me, UAUA) out of BK intact, but I'm guessing he's not the only one who could've done it, and certainly it could've been done at slightly lower cost than a signficant equity stake in the entire company on top of his compensation.

-synchronicity

Your point is well-taken with regard to the imbalance between executive pay and labor in this country, however, Tilton was the only one WILLING to take on the challenge. When Jim Goodwin was asked to resign, Jack Creighton came to UAL on a very temporary basis and the BOD had difficulty finding a successor to Goodwin. Jack Creighton practically pleaded with Tilton to come to UAL. So, yes there may have been others who could have done the job, but the others who had been offered the top job, declined it. Naturally, Tilton was in a position to leverage himself in terms of his compensation package. I still believe that it was quite an accomplishment to keep the franchise intact, pacify the creditors' committee, and successfully renegotiate all of the union contracts and emerge with $3 billion in exit financing. I personally do not begrudge Tilton for negotiating the best contract he could, for himself. If I possessed his unique skill-set, his experience, and his credentials, I too would negotiate the best compensation package for myself. Who wouldn't?

Time for a little legal lesson. Foreign ownership of US airlines is limited to 25% of voting equity and 49% of total equity. So there is no way that the "Germans" can buy UA. This is a statutory requirement, so W can do nothing to change it on his own. It requires and Act of Congress to change, which is extremely unlikely.

Actually 24.9% (just like when BA bought into US years ago and wrote the whole thing off...) but hey you'll discover that in school with your "legal lessons" --- and Congress will inevitably act to relax the foreign ownership restrictions.

Kinda nervous about working for the dreaded Germans eh sport?

Lufthansa probably will invest lots of $$ into UA. The Star Alliance is important and UA is a major part of it for North America. My only concern is will UA's fleet become an Airbus showcase of A380'd & A340-600's or will Boeing 777-200LR/300ER's be part of the future fleet plan.