united usairways deal may be falling apart

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is this??? A Doug Parker pep rally??

Oh, please....He is no wonder boy. He was just in the right place at the right time. Get over yourself and him. You are starting to creep me out.

:shock:

OUR job is to make MONEY , that’s what a business Is all about …

Quit with your legacy , heritage , history B/S … all that got you was BANKRPUT …

Does the truth hurt ? good , because you might need that pain to keep you alive so you don’t go BAKRUPT again !

You can’t simply do service service service to the dertimenent of COMPETION … :down:

MAX JET WIKI PAGE

Some of you aren’t looking at the bigger picture , that’s why I’m sooo sooo happy we have DOUG PARKER as our head guy… he looks at everything , not just one segment or portion …. And he’s smart enough to hire talented help such as the new COO … Robert I .

These times are more trying than ever , we need THE BEST ….

OMG, Who are you??? You must be employed at the sandcastle and desperately need your job.. DP is wack, and I am guessing that you are on that same train.. I hate to tell you, but if US doesn't do this deal, they are likely the first ones to tank (I hope this is not the case as i do not wish that on anyone)... That is thankful to DP and gang... Quit praising him, you sound like those ladies I see on CNN at the TX polygamist compound, and their feelings for W. Jeffs .... Its insane, I forget its Tempe..... The Mother of all who does no wrong... PRAISE YE, FOR THOU, CAN DO NO WRONG!!!!

United and US Airways head for talks

Unlike Delta's agreement to merge with Northwest, whose modest cost savings targets placated Washington but underwhelmed investors, the synergies promised from a United-US Airways pact - about $1.5bn - are likely to exceed the deal's purchase price

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

the synergies promised from a United-US Airways pact - about $1.5bn - are likely to exceed the deal's purchase price

Until the United labor groups become extremely vocal and scare away any potential investors. I wouldn't invest money into something doomed to failure, would you?

Foreign investment instead of or in addition to UA merging?

"BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The United States proposed a deal on Tuesday to sweep away a global "spider's web" of airline ownership rules, taking the EU by surprise as it seeks a transatlantic deal for its airlines to buy their U.S. rivals. ..." http://uk.reuters.com/articlePrint?article...312857720080513

Consider also parts of this story: http://www.businessweek.com/print/bwdaily/...0527_408257.htm

PHENOMENAL! Reuter' article on EU and US combinations will create the best enviornment for ALL travelers. YES! Lets see what international money can do to the airline industry. Thanks for the article. And THrusdays meeting with CEO' from United/Us Airways/ Continental will only strengthen the industry. Believe after Labor Day things are in for a big change. Amen!

The newspapers are saying that UA and CO are in talks concerning the formation of an "alliance". Just curious but could these "alliance" talks be about CO and UA dividing up US and picking and choosing what they want? Although I can't imagine what they would want besides CLT, DC & NY slots, and the shuttle. That alone may be worth it. It would reduce capacity and that seems to be the solution many think would help the industry. Like I said, just curious.

Labor isn’t the problem , oil is the problem , everyone knows this ….
Wrong! The problem is management. Oil can be simply a bump on the road, but, to cover their incompetency, management is using it to misdirect employee attention away from themselves. Management . is . the . problem . period.

Remember, the price of gas, like a rising tide, affects all boats. Those with short anchor chains will experience some adverse affects compared to others. Those riding short anchor chains are doing it because of management. Ipso facto, management is the problem.

Simple enough?

1. US management did not prevent a new pilot contract...the US East ALPA MEC and USAPA have prevented it. After the Nicolau Award was released the East MEC and JNC pulled out of joint contract talks because a new contract would have implemented the Nicolau Award.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
At one time you were a strong advocate of the USAPA and doing everything and anything necessary to prevent the Nicolau award. However from recent posts it now sounds like you are against the East MEC and USAPA actions. Have you changed your mind? (serious question)

Some UAL directors are chagrined that the airline so far has failed to do what it has championed for several years-- merge with another airline, said one person familiar with the board's thinking. Directors felt blindsided by Continental's decision; when the idea of a deal with US Airways was raised at a May 15 board meeting, directors asked some hard questions. Some questions came from the two board members who are labor union representatives. United's unions have said they will oppose a merger with US Airways.

This internal debate has occurred as time grows shorter for a merger deal to receive antitrust scrutiny before the Bush administration leaves office in January. People familiar with US Airways, based in Tempe, Ariz., said the company is feeling frustrated by the shrinking regulatory window and is pressing United for a decision.
As I have been saying, there seems to be a shift occurring at UAL's BOD, and there has been more support for the views of our labor representatives on the board. Tilton can negotiate whatever he wants and put it on the table for the BOD to consider. But everyone needs to remember that nothing happens without the Board's approval. IMO it will be a hard sell no matter what he comes back with.

Of course tomorrows talks may just be a "let's still be friends" discussion, along with how USAirways code share would be affected by a UA alliance with Continental.

It is obvious that Parker is frustrated and ready to make a final deal, while Tilton has a BOD with many reservations. Particularly, on their mind is the danger of unleashing a labor unrest melt down as we enter difficult economic times. IMO there will be no Force Majeure. And with Tilton apparently in the driver's seat, I think he will play hard ball one last time to get a deal that is palatable to the Board and to Labor. This will mean a prenuptial, however not exactly in the form you described. Since domestic capacity must be removed from the US in general, a pre-nup could possibly come with the requirement for it to come mostly from USAirways before any deal occurs. This could include the Shuttle and much of USAirways DC operation to appease lawmakers and regulators. Remember that this was a sticking point in the last attempted merger. Any significant downsizing on the UA side will be faced with fierce opposition.

Additionally, labor and some others on the Board would rather take their chances alone and wait out the imminent downsizing and possible bankruptcies of competitors, while exploiting our strengths internationally and repairing things at home.

So everyone should just sit back and see what comes on Thursday. This meeting is by no means an indication that talks have resumed. IMO, talks are STILL on hold, there is no more negotiating, and this meeting is a last ditch effort for Tilton to give Parker his final "take it or leave it" offer, or shake hands and go their separate ways.

The people familiar with the situation cautioned that talks could fall apart at any time if the airlines can't agree on terms or if one or both decide a merger is too risky in the current environment of surging fuel prices, tight credit markets and the slowing U.S. economy.

Issues outstanding include how the airlines would raise capital to fund the combination; how to resolve some labor contract issues that could have adverse economic consequences; and how much flexibility they would have to take airplane seats out of their combined system. United continues to study other options that don't include a merger with US Airways, these people said.

Thought I'd bold some areas of that article too! :up:
:up: My thoughts exactly. Isn't selective excerpts from news clips great! You can draw any conclusion you want!

Wrong! The problem is management. Oil can be simply a bump on the road, but, to cover their incompetency, management is using it to misdirect employee attention away from themselves. Management . is . the . problem . period.

Remember, the price of gas, like a rising tide, affects all boats. Those with short anchor chains will experience some adverse affects compared to others. Those riding short anchor chains are doing it because of management. Ipso facto, management is the problem.

Simple enough?

If making about half a billion dollars each year for the last two years is inept management then why oh why couldn’t I have been born that stoopid!!! :rolleyes:

BUMP ON THE ROAD ???? BUMP ON THE ROAD??? TRY MOUNT EVEREST!!!!!

i guess all of this is too HARD for my brain to figure out :lol: i guess you MUST be right and i wrong .... :lol: thanks for making it SIMPLE .... :rolleyes:

I agree with you all the way on that sharktooth. MGMT has been a complete failure at US and Id be willing to bet that a number of HP employees dont care for DP! I remember talking to a fellow HP worker last yr and he had nothing good to say about parker. Parker could have had a better TA than what fleet was given but if this UA deal goes thru, a large number of US employees will be out the door :angry:

Your first point about sometimes closing the door etc…. well , we’re not trying to save every last passenger …. If you gotta close the door to get out on time , then you gotta close the door … I HIGHLY doubt we’re closing the door on groups of 20 or 30 … but one or two is acceptable .
You are obviously not involved with operations. The door will not close with, thinking of CLT, like Sodom and Gomorrah, unless all are on board, even one stays the jetway. Period. Screw Bud Parkers bonus.

Perhaps a useful statistic would be how many get left behind with draconian measures such as shut the door ten minutes early, no excuses. You want to do it, you can replace me, which will take at least 90 minutes, more if you are one of ALPA's protected bottom reserves living two or more hours out of base.

You are obviously not involved with operations. The door will not close with, thinking of CLT, like Sodom and Gomorrah, unless all are on board, even one stays the jetway. Period. Screw Bud Parkers bonus.

Perhaps a useful statistic would be how many get left behind with draconian measures such as shut the door ten minutes early, no excuses. You want to do it, you can replace me, which will take at least 90 minutes, more if you are one of ALPA's protected bottom reserves living two or more hours out of base.

You know , it was recently conveyed to me how you on the East coast get along with your management , and it appears a lot of times your undervalued or even devalued as an individual … now it’s starting to make sense to me why so many of you distrust management in general so very much …

I have to tell you , here in the west it’s not like that . While I don’t completely trust doug parker , I don’t think he’s out to get us on the other hand …

Also those of you still bitter about your 2 BK’S need to keep remembering it wasn’t DP who put you into either of those situations … As long as DP has been running the show neither AWA or us airways has been back to court . That’s a record I want to keep intact .

Look Shark tooth , I don’t WANT to leave people behind , but when we send our planes out late , and they arrive late , more bags and passengers are going to miss in TOTAL throughout the day than if we had maintained our schedule ..it’s the domino effect is it not ?

Look Shark tooth , I don’t WANT to leave people behind , but when we send our planes out late , and they arrive late , more bags and passengers are going to miss in TOTAL throughout the day than if we had maintained our schedule ..it’s the domino effect is it not ?
I was not clear enough for you. The door does not close before scheduled departure time. period.

Aside from the safety issues involved, it is false advertising to promise one departure time and enforce an earlier one.

I don't know if you know that, per the management cripples attempting to sweep the dirt under the carpet, an agent is threatened with discipline if they do not close the door ten (or whatever) minutes early, a travesty that any employee would put up with such fertilizer. I refuse to buy into such bad management "procedures".

and, BTW, that you think Parker is out to "get us" is really a pathetic statement. I, personally, don't think he even knows what is going on.

Oh well PB … MY main concern is seeing that WE keep OUR doors open .. Fly whoever you like , we here at US AIRWAYS can’t just up and go to another company with the snap of our fingers … you know how seniority works … and with this economy no way do I want to end up unemployed …

I’m fighting for Doug Parker because I think he’ll keep the lights on and my paychecks coming , if I thought otherwise I’d fight against him … because I believe this ,you and I are on other sides of the aisle and I will fight tooth and nail against the biased view that our management cannot do their job … your life isn’t NEARLY as wrapped up in us airways as ours is …

While many of my other co-workers may disagree with me , we are still in the same boat at the end of the day …

Our options appear to be limited concerning the future .

1. Go It alone

2. Merge ….

Option 2 seems the safer route to me …and if history is any guide it’s the better choice to take (awa would not be here today alone ).

In this merger I want the BEST that we can get , and I feel it’s DP , sadly I’m not a very factual person so I can’t roll out his résumé but from what I’ve seen from the man over the years , he does a good job …

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts