Unused Tickets & MCOs Question

USFlyer

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
Does US still issue an MCO (paper or electronic) when exchanging a wholly unused ticket for a new ticket and the value of the new ticket is less than the value of the old ticket (minus change fee)? I seem to recall at one point losing the residual, but I don't remember now if that's still the policy.

Does US still issue an MCO (paper or electronic) when exchanging a wholly unused ticket for a new ticket and the value of the new ticket is less than the value of the old ticket (minus change fee)? I seem to recall at one point losing the residual, but I don't remember now if that's still the policy.

Things have changed significantly since we've migrated to SHARES. With a SABRE reissue, if the NEW nonrefundable fare you're purchasing is less than the value of the original nonrefundable ticket, SABRE would deduct that difference from your change fee. For instance, you trade in a ticket that's worth say...$225 and the NEW fare is now $200.00..SABRE would collect $75.00. On another scenario, if you had an original nonrefundable ticket worth $500.00 and the NEW fare is now only $200.00, SABRE would of course deduct the change fee of $100.00 and issue you the difference in fare on an automated credit voucher for future travel (on US Airways) in the amount of $200.00.

The NEW (former America West) policy with SHARES, a nonrefundable ticket is just that. The $100.00 change fee is still collected, but if the new fare is less, there is no residual value in the form of a credit voucher. Do I agree with this NEW policy? Well..let's just say I'm not very fond of it.

Latest posts