US add extra flights or upgrade to widebody jet?

Diamondbacks2004

Advanced
Mar 29, 2004
Is US Airways going to add extra flights or upgrade to B762ER or A333 widebody jet between January 29th and January 31st to pick up huge Arizona Cardinals fans from Phoenix to Tampa for the Super Bowl XLIII on February 1st?

Currently US Airways have 2 daily nonstop flights from PHX to TPA by using A320-200 aircraft. But US does not serve nonstop from PIT to TPA since elimination nonstop flights.

They are doing a few Steelers charters too. I think they flew the team on a 757 to Detroit for Super Bowl XL.

What the company SHOULD DO is get the Cardinals plane and the Steelers plane chartered out to fans, who would more than likely shell out extra money to fly on them. I swear to god, if US Airways doesn't market the two planes somewhere, somehow, during the next two weeks or during the Super Bowl they need their collective heads cut off. If would be the most moronic thing to pass over this rare opportunity.

Later,
Eye

In typical US fashion, someone will figure it out 5 days before the game, attempt to fill the extra seats. Since it was upgraded or size changed so late, seats aren't sold, and braintrust looks at numbers and says "See it doesn't work adding in extra seats"

Seriously though, I think the past 3 years or so, they've done a pretty good job of adding capacity to specific events. There was an explanation last year or the year before, on the logistic problems with doing such, as you have the increased traffic going one way for a few days, with nothing coming out. Then the reverse happens the next day. So I would imagine, depending on what you can actually put the butts in the seat for, it may or may not be worth doing so.

They are doing a few Steelers charters too. I think they flew the team on a 757 to Detroit for Super Bowl XL.

What the company SHOULD DO is get the Cardinals plane and the Steelers plane chartered out to fans, who would more than likely shell out extra money to fly on them. I swear to god, if US Airways doesn't market the two planes somewhere, somehow, during the next two weeks or during the Super Bowl they need their collective heads cut off. If would be the most moronic thing to pass over this rare opportunity.

Later,
Eye

Both A/C should be used as charters to TPA and then used for a fly over of the stadium as Capt Sully and crew waves from the 50 yard line. That would be must see TV. But I will expect to see endless SWA commercials and maybe a mention in the seat back magazine in March lol.

Havent checked the schedule since the final teams were announced, but we were aware of an extra CLT, DCA, PHL flight about 6am on the Monday after the Superbowl. That was all we were showing as of last week. Today might be a different story though.

There are many things this company should do to promote itself during the Superbowl experience. Perhaps they could start by actually being the airline that flys the teams to Tampa.

The PHX-CLT-PHX Cardinals charter last week was flown by.........choke........Northwest!

There are many things this company should do to promote itself during the Superbowl experience. Perhaps they could start by actually being the airline that flys the teams to Tampa.

The PHX-CLT-PHX Cardinals charter last week was flown by.........choke........Northwest!

Steelers have always used US Air for charters -- I don't expect that to change.

Later,
Eye

Introducing the FIRST FAN or FANDER-IN-CHIEF:

barack_obama.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

I wonder if he'll go to the Super Bowl. Steelers owner Dan Rooney is attending the inaugural tomorrow -- he was invited by President Obama.

Later,
Eye

Those photos were taken when BHO was trying to buy votes any way he could. I would not be surprised if similar "fan" shots were taken of him in nearly every NFL city he stumped in.

And now that he is, at least temporarily, no longer a candidate, I would envision the he remains completely neutral regarding the outcome of SBXVIII.

Those photos were taken when BHO was trying to buy votes any way he could. I would not be surprised if similar "fan" shots were taken of him in nearly every NFL city he stumped in.

And now that he is, at least temporarily, no longer a candidate, I would envision the he remains completely neutral regarding the outcome of SBXVIII.

He does have a good track record of beating 'teams' from Arizona. :)

Later,
Eye

We used to charter the Cardinals (when we were still America West) all the time. We eventually lost that contract to Northwest. I don't think I need to elaborate as to why, you've seen the stellar customer service the sandcastle provides....need I say more?

By the way....Go Steelers!
cheer.gif

From the Pittsburgh Business Times:
"Southwest Airlines and AirTran Airways both offer daily nonstop flights from Pittsburgh to Tampa; U.S. Airways cut its direct flights from Pittsburgh to Tampa in September."

Actually, we just cut the flight back about Jan 5th. Guess thats why the loads to PIT were anemic at the end of last year. They thought we had already left town. :blink:
And Airtran doesnt start until February.
Maybe the paper needs to add an * We kinda did some research for this article. :ph34r:

We used to charter the Cardinals (when we were still America West) all the time. We eventually lost that contract to Northwest.

Yeah, but there were a few other sports teams that also moved to NW. In the 90s, NW made a push towards sports charters by configuring a few of their 727-200s into an executive type layout that were geared towards sports charters. You also see the same thing with Air Canada now with their A-319 Jetz a/c in a similar config. AC has the contract to carry the Boston Bruins around, as well as a few other teams.

Havent checked the schedule since the final teams were announced, but we were aware of an extra CLT, DCA, PHL flight about 6am on the Monday after the Superbowl. That was all we were showing as of last week. Today might be a different story though.

But will there be agents (csa and fleet) to work those flights??? TPA doesn't have many to start with.

Latest posts