Us Air Pilots: Co To Create Hybrid Network To Boos

I am seriously confused. Are we doing what others do, or are we trying to really come up with a viable plan? Yes the N.E. to FLA is a must, but isnt Song's plans under review and expansion on Hold? OR are we going to make a LCC with A320 aircraft and then Merge it with TED to make a National LCC, and Leave U and UAL to do International and High Yield Markets? Prior Management claimed MetroJet did not work. What is really going on here?

Hope777: I guess I too am confused or just plain stupid(which is probably the case) ;) but after reading on these boards "snip-its" of the so called "Plan", at least what has been allowed to be uncovered, I can't figure out what the friggin "Plan" is. Only thing I am seeing is another 25% cut in costs. And where pray tell is that suppose to come from????? <_< :blink:

Hope777 & ktflyhome,

Don't ya'll be selling yourself short. Around here it often seems that lack of understanding is a sign of intelligence, not lack of it.

Smile,

Jim

Sounds very complicated and convoluted. Is it me or are they still focusing most of their efforts on concessions again?

crazyincanton

Is it me or are they still focusing most of their efforts on concessions again?

Crazy its not you. Their trying to get their hands in your pockets again, question is are you willing to allow it?

U is attempting to make changes in their operation they should have started on a decade or more ago. A culture of arrogance, over confidence, and a feeling of exisiting in a safe protected monopolistic environment finally cought up. Very poor foresight on the part of past and present managements and to some degree, various labor groups.

I agree it's all still a bit murky (as an outsider) but a hopeful sign I think is the talk of more point-to-point flying. An analysis I worked on last year showed that the US is way over-hubbed -- airlines were sucking travelers through hubs to keep the hubs viable, when there are still plenty of markets (JB and SW are correct) that have enough demand to support direct service 2-3 times per day. Do you really think SFO-DEN has so many wide-bodies because of the OD demand? No!

In this world of comoditization adn price matching, the great thing about direct service is it's one of the few things that still commands a price premium. Many people are prepared to pay quite a bit more to travel direct and save time rather than connect through a hub. And US does have some great focus cities and spokes (BOS and DCA are obvious). As you expand the network this way you also get cost benefits (the "scale" at the spokes improves, you can get a lot more flights without, usually, needing more gates etc etc). As more traffic bypasses the hubs you have to re-gauge the flights to the hubs, and all this has a fleet mix impact, but nothing insurmountable.

I'll wait until I see more of the plan, but at least the talk of increased pt-to-pt, if done directly, makes very good sense.

:down: You wont see the plan until the scope part of the cwa/iam m,iam fleet,
and the alpa contracts are changed ,and then and only then maybe there will
be a plan thats if they can get somebody with enough business skills to
write,formalism and implement the plan.

And US does have some great focus cities and spokes (BOS and DCA are obvious). As you expand the network this way you also get cost benefits (the "scale" at the spokes improves, you can get a lot more flights without, usually, needing more gates etc etc).

I have a question...since most of those focus cities are slot controlled can you just add flights point to point at these airports anywhere you want to fly? It seems logical to fly point to point out of these focus cities, but is your future growth contained by the slot controls? If it is, it seems you would have to choose the most profitable point to point city pairs at these focus cities and put bigger equipment on those routes if you have a limited amount of slots. I'm just asking, I don't know all the rules at slot controlled airports. :blink:

pitmech said:
I have a question...since most of those focus cities are slot controlled can you just add flights point to point at these airports anywhere you want to fly? It seems logical to fly point to point out of these focus cities, but is your future growth contained by the slot controls? If it is, it seems you would have to choose the most profitable point to point city pairs at these focus cities and put bigger equipment on those routes if you have a limited amount of slots. I'm just asking, I don't know all the rules at slot controlled airports. :blink:
DCA and LGA are slot controlled. US is currently using all of its slots at both airports (as it must, or else it gives them up). So to increase service, they can either increase equipment size or they have to reduce frequency to one market to add frequency to another. There are also, of course, perimeter restrictions at both airports.

BOS is not slot controlled, and they can basically add whatever they want. (They currently operate over 100 fewer daily departures from BOS than they did a few years ago.)

THERE IS NO PLAN! UAIR [MIS]MANAGEMENT IS ONLY FLOATING TRIAL BALLONS! THEY DO NOT HAVE A CLUE WHAT THEY ARE DOING. WAKE UP ALL. THEY PUT ALL OF THEIR EGGS IN THE SELL IT ALL BASKET AND THAT FELL THROUGH...REMEMBER, NO PLAN "B"! THEY ARE OVER THEIR HEADS IN THIS MATTER AND THEY HAVE LET TOO MUCH TIME GO BY BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO SALVAGE A BOTCHED APPROACH. NOW THE SINK RATE IS HIGH AND THEY ARE WAY BEHIND THE POWER CURVE. IT IS GOING TO HURT WHEN U HIT THE GROUND SHORT OF THE RUNWAY. GREAT JOB CAPTAIN SEAGULL!