US Airways-Albuquerque?

~Luke

Apr 5, 2011
I live in Albuquerque, and sometimes make short trips to Phoenix. I was curious as to why US Airways has cut/downsized service so much to ABQ. We went from getting a daily 737, a random collection of CR2s and CR9s, a weekly A319, to the same collection of CRJs, and the weekly A319, which is going to end on the 26th. I also remember maybe a year or so ago, correct me if I’m wrong, but ABQ was being serviced by several A319/733s, maybe even a A320. And way back several several years from America West, Albuquerque got service to LAS as well as PHX, as well as an ABQ-PIT flight some time in the 90s. Is it just the low season for ABQ or PHX, the economy, bad loads, or a combination of the four?
Thanks.

Southwest dominates the market, same with El Paso and Burbank.

So ABQ is simply another spoke that doesn't warrant competition, but token service only? (I realize that ABQ is a very minor part of the US system, however, so ABQ isn't in any form a route that would make or break US' profits.)

Reactions: 1 person
With fuel prices high, marginally profitable routes become money-losers. US management pulls the plug pretty quickly.

So ABQ is simply another spoke that doesn't warrant competition, but token service only? (I realize that ABQ is a very minor part of the US system, however, so ABQ isn't in any form a route that would make or break US' profits.)
It doesn't warrant losing money to compete for low revenue tickets. It doesn't make any sense to operate a route in a way that loses money. Any route that loses money is likely to see changes in service, as there is likely somewhere else that those airplanes can generate more revenue.

On the bright side, I saw today that Eagle is going to start ABQ service, to DFW I think.

Jim

Latest posts