History - Us Airways Fleet 8/2001

sandypet

Sep 17, 2004
The plan of reorganization says the combined airline will have 361 mainline jets. That fleet will be 10% smaller than the fleet US Airways had in August 2001.

In service fleet August 2001
Aircraft Type-------Variant-----In Service
Fokker 100--------------------------40
Airbus A319------------110---------58
Boeing 757-------------200---------34
Boeing 737-------------200---------42
Boeing 737-------------300---------85
Boeing 737-------------400---------54
Boeing 767-------------200ER------11
Airbus A320------------210---------16
Airbus A321------------210---------23
Airbus A330-------------320--------- 9
McDonnell-Douglas MD-81---------18
McDonnell-Douglas MD-82---------12
Total-------------------------------402

sandypet said:
The plan of reorganization says the combined airline will have 361 mainline jets. That fleet will be 10% smaller than the fleet US Airways had in August 2001.

In service fleet August 2001
Aircraft Type-------Variant-----In Service
Fokker 100--------------------------40
Airbus A319------------110---------58
Boeing 757-------------200---------34
Boeing 737-------------200---------42
Boeing 737-------------300---------85
Boeing 737-------------400---------54
Boeing 767-------------200ER------11
Airbus A320------------210---------16
Airbus A321------------210---------23
Airbus A330-------------320--------- 9
McDonnell-Douglas MD-81---------18
McDonnell-Douglas MD-82---------12
Total-------------------------------402
[post="280756"][/post]​

In 1988, when USAir merged with PSA, PSA had about 60 airplanes. So did Southwest. When USAir merged with Piedmont in 1989, the combined fleet was about 450 airplanes.

Southwest has close to 450 airplanes today. And still growing.

Thus begging the question, what are the benefits of the merger?

As you point out, the combined HP/US fleet will be equal to or less than the US fleet at any point in the recent past.

Plus, mergers are expensive, and combining corporate cultures are difficult, at best.

Moreover, US is selling off the class of the RJ's - MAA.

And as a side note, US wholly owned RJ's (F28's) once before, and had labor peace with them.

So what I'm asking is, what is the business purpose of this merger? HP does not currently fly anywhere US couldn't, if US so chose.

I understand at this point, US's survival probably depends on it. But my point is, what is the point of creating, via merger, what U already was 3 years, all over again?

The best explanation I can think of is some folks at the top cashing in on the merger $$$$$.

diogenes said:
The best explanation I can think of is some folks at the top cashing in on the merger $$$$$.
[post="280773"][/post]​

BINGO! Give the man a cigar. US has done nothing with it's mergers in the past to be any different now. Whats left of the PSA merger? Nothing. Whats left of the Piedmont merger? Pride and work ethics torn to pieces and spit out. It's all about the $$$$$ in CCY. Nothing else. Every grey suit that walks thru those revolving doors there, leaves with millions.

WestCoastGuy said:
BINGO! Give the man a cigar. US has done nothing with it's mergers in the past to be any different now. Whats left of the PSA merger? Nothing. Whats left of the Piedmont merger? Pride and work ethics torn to pieces and spit out. It's all about the $$$$$ in CCY. Nothing else. Every grey suit that walks thru those revolving doors there, leaves with millions.
[post="280776"][/post]​
good point....when alls said and done you will undoubtedly be able to say the same of U...only the name will linger and for how long is anybodies guess.... :shock:

diogenes said:
[post="280773"][/post]​
What's being done is U is being dug out of a very deep hole. Since the future U will look nothing like the U that many have come to know and love, I'm not so sure that the name should remain. Everything is being pared down so that the real assets of U (Gates and Markets) can be optimized before the cash runs out. Call it shrinking to profitability if you want, but I see this merger as a heart and brain transplant more so than simply a transfusion. Once the new airline makes money, I think you will see a return to growth, but the airline itself, the working environment will be vastly different. Probably better in the long-term view, but painful in the short-term.

So the benefits of the merger? It plugs the hole in the bottom of both U and HP's boats by providing enough cash to build the foundation of a truly nationwide, international (sort-of) LCC of the size and scope that currently does not exist. While it may not be opulent, the service will be quality. I think this airline will be identified with being a good value and offer LCC service both inside and outside the USA.

I would think that it would look more like a big HP than a slightly shrunken U. JMO B)

To be exact, there were a total of 454 A/C in 1989 following the PSA & PI mergers.
Fast forward 16 years after yet another merger with HP to have a fleet of 361???
Talk about going backwards, after all of these mergers this Airline should serve all 50 States with a fleet of 600+ A/C.
On another note, when were the DC-9-30's retired? I thought they were still around in 2001, but I'm not sure what Month they were pulled out of service.

They were all retired after 9/11/01 so the last flight was probably early 2002.

AS far as fleet size, let's not forget that RJ flying is much more prevelant now than it was in 2001....US Airways really needs more WIDE-BODY lift if they intend on expanding to more cities in Europe and South America, in my opinion. When are those 10 A330-200s slated for delivery? 2008-09?

diogenes said:

[post="280773"][/post]​
You answered your own question. It's a benefit to the corporate hacks. To most, it's the liquidation of USAirways. Similar to Delta/Western, American/TWA.

wings396 said:
So, the DC-9's should be on the above posted fleet list from Aug. 2001..
[post="280875"][/post]​

The DC-9-30 fleet was retired on 8/18/01.

The F100s and MD-80s were retired on 4/1/02.
The B737-200s were retired in 12/01.
The B727-200s were retired on 10/20/00.
The F28-4000s were retired in summer 1997.

The 727s last of them were flying on the shuttle and were retired in 1999.

Latest posts