US Airways ALPA MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE - February 26, 2003

C

chipmunn

US Airways ALPA MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE - February 26, 2003
This is Roy Freundlich with a US Airways MEC update for Wednesday, February 26, with three new items:
Item 1. There has been some recent media speculation concerning US Airways pilots utilizing the self-help provisions of the Railway Labor Act (RLA) in response to the possibility that the Company would impose a defined contribution plan. It is important to understand that any self-help actions, such as a strike, can only be administered if the Union and the Company have met the strict and restrictive conditions required by the RLA. At this time, the long and drawn-out regulatory process that needs to be utilized under RLA has not yet commenced, and may never commence for this issue.
A pilot strike is not a legal option in response to the Company’s current motion to terminate the defined benefit plan through the bankruptcy court, and is in no way authorized or imminent at US Airways.
The MEC has taken action to protect our pilots’ rights under the RLA. The MEC is challenging any Company conception that it can unilaterally impose a follow-on pension plan onto the pilot group. The right to engage in collective bargaining under the Act is fundamental to the MEC’s legal position in its objection to the Company’s motion to terminate the pilots’ pension plan.
As directed by the MEC''s resolution of January 29, in addition to taking appropriate legal action to object to a plan termination and exploring all other appropriate avenues, the MEC directed that all appropriate ALPA resources and committees be activated in response to the Company’s actions. The Strike Preparedness Committee was activated to assist in communication activity and to prepare for any collective bargaining needs. Members of the committee are currently handing out educational materials in the crew rooms in response to the Company’s efforts to use the chief pilots office to promote its alternative pilot pension plan to pilots in the crew rooms prior to any negotiations being authorized.
The Company testified on Monday that it is willing to negotiate with ALPA on the pension issue. The MEC has maintained its legal challenge against the Company’s motion to terminate the defined benefit plan, and has been assessing for some time whether management would negotiate in a manner that would produce meaningful results for our pilots, including preserving our already-earned pension benefits.
Item 2. The MEC will reconvene its special meeting at 12 noon on Thursday, February 27, at the Marriott Crystal Gateway to consider the pension issue. The telephone number for transportation information is 703-920-3230. Please be advised that portions of the meeting will be in closed session.
Item 3. The bankruptcy court hearing on the Company’s motion to terminate the pilots’ defined benefit plan will reconvene on Friday, February 28, at 9:30 a.m. This is expected to be the final court hearing date on this issue. MEC members, officers, and committee members are planning to attend the hearing in uniform. Your MEC representatives are encouraging pilots to also attend in uniform to help the parties and the public recognize how important this issue is to our pilot group. The location of the hearing is:
Court Room One
US Bankruptcy Court
200 S. Washington Street
Alexandria, Va.
For those pilots flying to DCA on Friday for the continuation of the hearing, transportation to the courthouse will be provided. A shuttle bus will begin picking up pilots from Reagan National Airport at approximately 8:45 a.m. Friday morning, departing from the crew room concourse, lower level, baggage claim, door 12. The bus will shuttle hourly between National Airport and the courthouse in Alexandria, Va., until 1 p.m., and then will provide transportation to the airport as needed.
Please remember we have 1,827 pilots on furlough.

LavMan:

Your comments are not correct. I have been in discussion with members of the ALPA Strike Preparedness Committee and a strike could be dependent on how Judge Mitchell rules in the case.

ALPA has not presented its case and that is not expected to occur until late tomorrow. Mitchell has indicated he would like all of the testimony completed by tomorrow, but if necessary the parties could appear back in court on Saturday, but a ruling is expected almost immediately.

However, there seems to be some developing events that could provide an interesting twist to this story. Regardless, I will post more information after I return from tomorrow’s hearing.

Chip

Finally yet another rumor and speculation put to rest. WOW what do we talk about now?

Chip your own information proves you cant strike:

Item 1. There has been some recent media speculation concerning US Airways pilots utilizing the self-help provisions of the Railway Labor Act (RLA) in response to the possibility that the Company would impose a defined contribution plan. It is important to understand that any self-help actions, such as a strike, can only be administered if the Union and the Company have met the strict and restrictive conditions required by the RLA. At this time, the long and drawn-out regulatory process that needs to be utilized under RLA has not yet commenced, and may never commence for this issue.

A pilot strike is not a legal option in response to the Company’s current motion to terminate the defined benefit plan through the bankruptcy court, and is in no way authorized or imminent at US Airways.

LavMan:

There is the potential for a job action and I have discussed this point with the MEC and members of the Srike Preparedness Committee. Apparently, you as an outsider believe you have better information than me on this subject.

Much will depend on how the court rulesin this case, which will determine ALPA's next court of action. The purpose of Roy's message was to tell the membership that ALPA does not support an illegal job action such as a slowdown or sickout, to prevent a wildcat event such as the wildcat event by APA members in the late 90's.

However, do not be surprised if an interesting twist occurs in this story in the near future.

Chip

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/27/2003 2:25:01 PM chipmunn wrote:

LavMan:

There is the potential for a job action and I have discussed this point with the MEC and members of the Srike Preparedness Committee. Apparently, you as an outsider believe you have better information than me on this subject.

Much will depend on how the court rulesin this case, which will determine ALPA's next court of action. The purpose of Roy's message was to tell the membership that ALPA does not support an illegal job action such as a slowdown or sickout, to prevent a wildcat event such as the wildcat event by APA members in the late 90's.

However, do not be surprised if an interesting twist occurs in this story in the near future.

Chip
----------------
[/blockquote]
"An interesting twist"! This is better than a Stephen King novel. Savy

Chip your track record speaks for itself.
How many times have you posted about the RJ deal being done and it was not?

How many times did you brow beat the CWA and IAM members to take cuts, and now when you are faced with more cuts you turncoat and whine?

How many times have you posted about a unique or interesting corporate transaction with UAL and it has not transpired?

It is about creditbility and with your record on this board and other message boards, your creditbility is slim. Your own union disavowed you on their code-a-phone and web page after your charlotte disturber oped piece.

How many times did you praise Dave and tell everyone how good he is, now you are doing a complete 180?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/27/2003 11:14:53 AM supercruiser wrote:

>>Told you so! You can't strike![<

I've also wondered
If ALPA wins their position in court, this issue will be just like any other grievance, to be eventually decided by an arbitrator, some day in the future. ALPA’s track record on the big grievance issues is not good.

----------------
[/blockquote]
grieve it and get back to us in arbitration next year.

usfliboi, I have posted facts, apparently you have not been reading this board from last July on.

If you don't like it when someone calls someone else out and proves their mistakes and inaccurcies, then don't read the postings.

With the anticpated bad weather in the mid-atlantic tommorrow - i would venture to say the proceedings may be postponed.

Of course that gives more time for something else to occur outside of court -hopefully for the good

Lav Man with all due respect, how can u say he has no credit? Most of what he says is either his opinion or copies of an article? Thsi is so childish.... These silly games are crazy.. Why cant you take the time and copy articles or look into a problem and relay your findings.. I mean i dont agree with alot of what he says but i dont see him bashing u or anyone else on here. Grow up dude PLEASE.... Say something we all wanna here about company stuff industry stuff... We dont need to read your crap about what u think about another person on here. Lay off dude or stay off....