US Airways CEO sees airline industry heading down

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
PHOENIX, Feb 28 (Reuters) - The chief executive of US Airways Group Inc (LCC.N: Quote, Profile, Research) warned on Thursday the U.S. airline industry is heading into a downturn as it grapples with record high oil prices and a weakening economy.

"Our industry is in a mess, if you haven't noticed," said chief executive Doug Parker, speaking at the U.S. No. 5 airline's headquarters near Phoenix. "We're about to head into what looks like another downturn." (Reporting by Kyle Peterson; Writing by Bill Rigby; Editing by Derek Caney)

PHOENIX, Feb 28 (Reuters) - The chief executive of US Airways Group Inc (LCC.N: Quote, Profile, Research) warned on Thursday the U.S. airline industry is heading into a downturn as it grapples with record high oil prices and a weakening economy.

"Our industry is in a mess, if you haven't noticed," said chief executive Doug Parker, speaking at the U.S. No. 5 airline's headquarters near Phoenix. "We're about to head into what looks like another downturn." (Reporting by Kyle Peterson; Writing by Bill Rigby; Editing by Derek Caney)

classic "everyone is doing it!" excuse......

Im so sad for this place...

Don't you all get it? Many of us are under contract negotiations. This is a ploy so he can try and get us to give concessions and it is a perfect excuse for him as to why we can't get better pay, work rules, and benefits.

He could have said "My airline is a mess" and left it at that..........

Don't you all get it? Many of us are under contract negotiations. This is a ploy so he can try and get us to give concessions and it is a perfect excuse for him as to why we can't get better pay, work rules, and benefits.
EXACTLY. This is THE reason for his statement. No need to comment any further. :rolleyes:

What have you been smoking? I'm certainly not suggesting anyone make any concessions in their contract negotiations but this isn't a great time to be in the airline business.

Who finally woke Parker up....or did he fall off his bar stool :lol: :lol:
Touche'. Almost made me want to start Happy Hour early! What's he been up to anyways.....? Picking out Children's Book for their latest endeavour? These people AMAZE Me with some of their comments.

What have you been smoking? I'm certainly not suggesting anyone make any concessions in their contract negotiations but this isn't a great time to be in the airline business.

The question is: What's the point of making those types of doom and gloom statements? Perhaps, just to shore up investor confidence? :lol:

SWA and AA aren't doing too bad, everyone else seems to be caught up in merger mania.

"And in a gesture of concern about his company's financial standing and as a show of solidarity with his employees, Mr. Parker cancelled his golden parachute package and bonuses, and took an immediate 50% paycut." :shock:

BAWAWAWAWAWA!!!!

(sometimes i crack me up ;) )

Doug might have to shut down two money losing cites out west the way he did PIT. If it don't make money shut it down or sell it off.

I can't wait for him to trot out the old tried-and-trued USAir negotiating mantra...."We've got to achieve a competitive cost structure.....We are at a Crossroads....Without x$ in savings we are going to face some hard choices..."

Latest posts