US Airways CEO sees airline industry heading down

Get ready thanks to the east pilots stubborn position, more change is on the way.

Ooooooh... now, that's just downright scary :lol: Sigh...you're probably right = If it weren't for all those recalcitrant, non-koolaide-drinking east people, with yet some modicum of self respect, but not used to working for a regional "airline" that's hopelessly mismanaged by visionless morons...everything would work perfectly..even SHARES ;) The frequent fliers and the elite business travelers wouldn't be exiting in droves/etc!???? :lol: Bring on the "change"....since this place still actually functions at some level due ONLY to the experience and residual pride of the work force...perhaps you'll be able to "change" even that soon.....

"...since when do you all take media reporting so seriously." I guess...since it's proved far more accurate than anything heard from Tempe? ;)

" I was there" Well...garsh!...a big: Goody for you....What's your pleasure?...A Bronze Star?..A corporate bonus?...or just another quart of Koolaide? ;)

Umm, Mr. Parker, if you think that you will get even one penny/ shred / concessionary work rule out of me, you are sadly mistaken. Shut the damn thing down for all I care.

Call. Your move.
My thoughts exactly!!!!!!!! I don't want to hear 1 peep from these wack jobs about how hard times are a comin!! After all of the pocketing of money they've done at our expense.. TOO BAD MR. PARKER! You better march right on over to the Arizona Federal Credit Union and make a transfer from your private account right into US Airways cuz this well is all dried up!!!!!!!!

My thoughts exactly!!!!!!!! I don't want to hear 1 peep from these wack jobs about how hard times are a comin!!

Trust this = We'll all hear it. The overature's already being played in the background. :lol: Just remember when the "soothing tones" hit..that they're coming from self-obsessed individuals already made multi-millionaires at all our, and our customers' expense.....it's fully standard, and should be expected.

It clearly doens't take much to get this board going again. In case you all didn't know, this was a "bite" taken out on media day today in Tempe and since when do you all take media reporting so seriously. I was there, it was good, informative and candid. Get ready thanks to the east pilots stubborn position, more change is on the way.
Oh yes must we forget the ever full pitcher of Kool-Aid. I used to think you had something useful to say but since then they've obviously implanted and programmed the chip in your head that all went out the window. I will not completely disagree with you on the pilot's issue but it's pilots from both sides just not the east. In my opinion both sides have completely lost their marbles.

I will not completely disagree with you on the pilot's issue but it's pilots from both sides just not the east. In my opinion both sides have completely lost their marbles.

;) And...you would even momentarilly imagine that "rational" people would ever wish to spend their lives flying airplanes in the first place? ;) Sigh..If I weren't crazy...I'd have listened to Mom and gone to med school ;) ...But NOOooo..addiction to cheap thrills/high velocity/future dogfights/Glory.....Sigh again..who knew that it would ever come to this sorry state? ;)

Is he truly "managing expectations" or can we expect some drastic measures to reduce costs? I know that here in the west we have more than enough FA's to the point that we are clearly overstaffed, even Easter weekend was positively staffed when our DPU system opened tonight. In 20 years I can't remember a March that we had so many positively staffed days. One cannot help but wonder are FA furloughs in PHX that far off?

Thanks Parker! :down: All I can say is BOHICA.........

;) And...you would even momentarilly imagine that "rational" people would ever wish to spend their lives flying airplanes in the first place? ;) Sigh..If I weren't crazy...I'd have listened to Mom and gone to med school ;) ...But NOOooo..addiction to cheap thrills/high velocity/future dogfights/Glory.....Sigh again..who knew that it would ever come to this sorry state? ;)
I'm in the same boat as you except I was going to be a CPA :eek: I'll never forget driving to my mom's office and running in to tell her I was going to be a flight attendant. I was 19 and it was the summer after my freshman year of college. You can imagine that it didn't go over well at all and the screaming soon followed. Needless to say I ended up getting my way (as usual) and here I am almost 13 years later still looking in the refuse bin for all of that glamour and mom telling me "you'll never be happy doing anything else"! Everytime I hear the song "Shooting Star" by Bad Company it kind of reminds me of the last 13 years, the only difference being my addiction is this industry and Johny's was the whiskey and sleeping "tablets". lol

It clearly doens't take much to get this board going again. In case you all didn't know, this was a "bite" taken out on media day today in Tempe and since when do you all take media reporting so seriously. I was there, it was good, informative and candid.
A lot of people here like to revel in their misery, they just aren't happy unless they're complaining.

More from Doogie:

US Airways Boss Hopes for Capacity Cuts
Thursday February 28, 8:04 pm ET
By Chris Kahn, AP Business Writer
US Airways CEO: Consolidation Must Mean Cuts in Capacity, Greater Efficiency

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- Airlines that consolidate through mergers or acquisitions must reduce the number of planes in the sky and make the industry more efficient, US Airways CEO Doug Parker said Thursday.

"Consolidation for consolidation sake is not necessarily a good thing," Parker told reporters at a media event at the carrier's Tempe headquarters. "To take two airlines and just put them together and not create efficiencies by flying to all the same places with fewer airplanes doesn't create the value you need."

Some industry observers have speculated that if Delta Air Lines Inc. and Northwest Airlines Corp. combine, they might not cut a significant number of flights because their systems have little overlap.

Parker said that kind of deal wouldn't make much sense. "If that's the case, they're not increasing opportunity for anybody," he said.

For years, Parker has praised the benefits of consolidation in the industry. With fewer carriers in the sky, airlines will be able to pack more people on planes, maximizing the amount of money they can make per flight.

US Airways Group Inc. was created in 2005 when the former US Airways combined with America West Airlines. Parker said the move allowed management to trim 15 percent of flight capacity by cutting overlapping routes.

"You've got to go through and do what we did," he said. "This does not, by the way, mean you stop flying to certain cities. We're still flying to the same cities we served as US Airways and America West. We just do it a lot more efficiently. We do it with fewer airplanes."

US Airways tried again to consolidate again last year, but its $9.8 billion hostile bid for Delta eventually failed.

While most analysts are watching Delta and Northwest to make a deal, Parker said all large carriers will have the opportunity to combine with other airlines.

"I think it makes a tremendous amount of sense," he said. "Hopefully we'll do it right instead of wrong."

At the media event in Tempe, US Airways President Scott Kirby also said the carrier will create a regional headquarters in Philadelphia.

"We need more executive leadership on the ground there," Kirby said. "It's also important because we sincerely need to and want to have a better working relationship with the airport authority and all constituents in Philadelphia than we've had historically."

The move isn't expected to create many jobs in the city. About 10 jobs will be added to the Philadelphia headquarters and some will be filled by US Airways executives who are currently in Tempe, according to Kirby.

"So it's not a huge economic impact," Parker said. "It's a big impact in terms of the relationship we have with people there."

I'm in the same boat as you except I was going to be a CPA :eek: I'll never forget driving to my mom's office and running in to tell her I was going to be a flight attendant. I was 19 and it was the summer after my freshman year of college. You can imagine that it didn't go over well at all and the screaming soon followed. Needless to say I ended up getting my way (as usual) and here I am almost 13 years later still looking in the refuse bin for all of that glamour and mom telling me "you'll never be happy doing anything else"! Everytime I hear the song "Shooting Star" by Bad Company it kind of reminds me of the last 13 years, the only difference being my addiction is this industry and Johny's was the whiskey and sleeping "tablets". lol

;) Sigh...Yup..Bad Company/Shooting Star = "I'm gonna' be a big star some day".....Ah well.....Sis? = "Life is what happens while we're making other plans" :up: ..And here we are at UselessAirways..who knew?..I never even expected to live this long, so I guess it's all good.

Call it a love for complaining or what have you but Tempe makes it way to easy. They remind me of the Branch Davidian Compound and Doug is David Koresh. They are whacked out and actually believe what they say as gospel. :blink: WOW :blink:

<SNIP>Get ready thanks to the east pilots stubborn position, more change is on the way.
See that all you knucklehead easties? The mysterious “Big Unpopular Changeâ€￾ that has been hinted at on these boards by Tempe insiders will be all your fault!

Blame deflected, as usual.

I'm in the same boat as you except I was going to be a CPA :eek: I'll never forget driving to my mom's office and running in to tell her I was going to be a flight attendant.
I’ll be kind and not tell you what my CPA’s hourly rate is.

Latest posts