US Airways Commits Suicide !!!

I think this was a very good move all though it may have been too much too fast ! This airline and others are finding out what the traveling public wants . Basically a south west type of flying ! Hate to say it but its true ! Now our preferred will disagree but according to stats in fact south west is prof without our high buisness fares . They must be trying to lower the line and and do what works . Our rules have been far to easy and way to many give aways.... Again maybe too much too fast but the end result? Its supply and demand![;)]

Hey Bear96:

News flash.... the frequent fliers who sit their butts on your plane for 25, 50, or 100k miles per year are YOUR gravy train.

And don't forget the fact that the airlines, not the frequent flyers, created the elite/preferred levels of the frequent flyer programs. And also remember that the 'major' airlines are the ones who have forced us (the frequent fliers) to use a pricing system that is completely out of wack with reality. Discount r/t from BWI to SEA is $230 in coach, $1,200 last minute and over $2,000 for First Class!!! Ben Baldanza's comparison of purchasing a plane ticket to purchasing a ticket to a sporting event or a Broadway play will haunt him for the rest of his life....

----------------
On 8/27/2002 9:46:42 PM
If y'all really want the perks you seem to think you are entitled to for bringing the airline high revenue...

...then bring the airline high revenue.
----------------

The days of "high revenue" are over. Kind of like the days of 20% annual returns on your 401(k). Get used to it.

What's the average US Airways ticket being sold for these days? About $300? How much does that need to increase for US to be profitable? Or look at it another way -- how many empty seats does US need to fill at $200 to get the same revenue? How does chasing customers away improve the situation?

Oh, that's right, I forgot, those horrible frequent fliers are weighing US down with all of their expensive entitlements. If it weren't for them US would only have to go out and find another 50 or so once a year customers to replace each US1. And people that fly once a year aren't at all price sensitive are they? And they never ask questions or have "issues" either do they? Well at least they aren't addicted to miles...

I am one of the biggest fans of US, but this is a blunder. Now let me get this straight....they're going to punish their best customers...the ones keeping them going...What are they smoking?

If this is in fact the case, I don't think I can stay. My company allows me a little leeway in pricing choices, and I am usually able to make it work out for US, but if the system gives a significantly lower price on another airline, I have to take it. Up until now I change my departure times or take extra connections to stay on US, but now the incentive is gone.

I hope they enjoy having to replace each US1 with 50 to 100 new flyers, as someone said before.

US, if anyone is listening, if you really intend to do this, you might as well pack it up now.......

My sympathies to the employees who are going to have to deal with the complaints.

"The days of "high revenue" are over. Kind of like the days of 20% annual returns on your 401(k). Get used to it."

The days of 20% annual returns have been gone three or four times now...only to mysteriously come back. As long as there is a full plane with only a couple seats left, and a person who REALLY needs it, the high fares will be around. Will there be some shake outs over the next few years? sure!! But the more things change, the more they stay the same. But in any case, be careful what you wish for. The ONLY reason U can AFFORD to give you a nice comfy F/C seat (that takes up the space of 2 coach seats) is that you have paid for it in the past. If you quit paying, those seats WILL go away. as much as it seems like it lately, Airlines ARE NOT charities.

----------------
On 8/27/2002 11:33:03 PM

I have been all along saying it is price! It is NOT service! Years and years ago, Crandell (competent management) said, "revenue is the key."; Dag-on-it, talk about burning bridges. Makes you think that management is not really interested in the survival of U or UAWGQ!
----------------

If you want more revenue for the same commodity you better wrap some service around it...

----------------
On 8/27/2002 11:47:24 PM

"The days of "high revenue" are over. Kind of like the days of 20% annual returns on your 401(k). Get used to it."

The days of 20% annual returns have been gone three or four times now...only to mysteriously come back.

So you're still planning your retirement based on assuming that this year you'll see a 20% gain?

As long as there is a full plane with only a couple seats left, and a person who REALLY needs it, the high fares will be around. Will there be some shake outs over the next few years? sure!! But the more things change, the more they stay the same. But in any case, be careful what you wish for. The ONLY reason U can AFFORD to give you a nice comfy F/C seat (that takes up the space of 2 coach seats) is that you have paid for it in the past. If you quit paying, those seats WILL go away. as much as it seems like it lately, Airlines ARE NOT charities.
----------------

1) An F seat isn't that big -- it displaces a little more than 1.5 coach seats (1.2 in a 2-3 config...) and costs the airline NO lost revenue unless the flight leaves full with revenue pax (who were probably V or W fares anyway) turned away.

2) Building a business plan around both of the travelers who pay those fares is a bit over the top.

3) US provides that nice comfy F seat as a marketing tool. It matters not one bit if anyone ever has or ever will pay for one. What matters is whether or not the tool works to bring in the targeted segment. The same goes for "free tickets", "unprofitable" routes to award redemption destinations and a host of other "perks". If you insist on looking at them in isolation then yes, of course, they are unprofitable. For them to make sense you need to look at the total passenger revenue picture.

4) You're right -- it isn't a charity. And customers aren't the enemy either.

A couple of observations. Firstly, the assertion that no FC seats remain for last minute bookings is bogus. On most flights, once 40% of the seats in that cabin are gone, the G upgrade inventory disappears. Secondly, if US implements this, and not many other carriers follow, they will lose passengers to competitors. Conversely, if all the majors match, all things are equal, and US blurs in the comparisons and gains nothing. It is not normally the airline of choice for the non hub flyer. Lastly. when management in effect "demonizes" the customer, it encourages a less sophisticated employee (like Bear96, if he/she happen to be one)to treat the customer with disdain. That's just dumb, and smacks of not having done their homework on the entire issue.

ART at ISP

I am in the same situation as you and now there is no incnetive to go out of my way to fly U.

Jim
US1
<remembers taking double connections to fly U>

Hey Reality Check, it might be good idea to reflect on your screen name. If taking a connection from NYC to Florida when there are dozens of nonstops (often cheaper), and getting up at 3AM and driving 50 miles to FLL because you guys dumped almost all northbound morning service from one of your largest stations (PBI) constitutes "fair weather", then I guess I'm guilty as charged. It's not about putting my butt in a First Class seat so tight the overhead lights don't even line up. It's about fairness. Don't change the rules in the middle of the night, and don't tell me (and many others) we're the problem, when you can't demonstrate the ability to run your own business, and that one goes back way beyond 9/11. And please, let's not turn this one into some back and forth invective. Any intelligent customer knows the employees didn't do this. We also know you do a good job. But if you start drinking the Kool Aid with those people in Crystal City, you just contribute to the distortion. You want us out of the compartment, just pull the inventory. But don't vilify us for doing what your own rules permit. I'm putting over 100,000 miles a year on this carrier. At the same time I'm one of very few who carry the Amex Centurion card. For the uninitiated, those of us who are able to get those are given automatic Gold status on US (along with Gold on CO and Gold Medallion on DL). No need to ever even fly any of you. In spite of that, I give you all my business. And you think YOU need a reality check!

Reality Check, here is your reality check:

1. The airlines, not the passengers, created the loyalty programs and the concept of earned upgrades. They're your airline's rules and we (as passengers) follow.

2. Second, the last time I checked, the USAviation boards were not designated for airline employees only. This is not your board it is OUR board. Taking the passengers out of the airline equation will ensure ALL of your fleet ends up in the desert alongside those DC=9's, MD-80's and the F-100's.

What happened to the good ole Piedmont days?

We sit here in a corporate travel office at an on-site. I worked for Piedmont, went through that damn merger when USAirways bought Piedmont. When it should have actually been the other way around, went through management restructures at least 1-2 times per year. And now look at this! I agree, those people in the pricing dept. in Crystal City have no clue! They need to get out in the agency world and look at what we go through everyday. Some of these people that work there have never even worked for an airline before on the front line.

I've read some of the posts here and there is one that makes reference to trying to match Southwest as a low-cost carrier. Well, I beg to differ with Stew!!! At least Southwest will allow you to use your funds within a years time if you cancel and will even extend for 6 months beyond that if you need. Also, Airtran, as long as you cancel the space prior to travel you'll have a credit with them. But if you don't, then the money is lost.

My co-worker is an ex AA employee. Back in the early 90's AA introduced a simplified fare structure. It lasted about 1 month. The public was not ready to accept this simplified fare structure. Since then it's been a free for all. You've got over 75 different fares in certain markets. Have you ever tried to work with 75 different fares for 10 different carriers in the same market? Do you know what HELL that is??? And now, you have to charge for a paper ticket!

This is just the latest step in trying to cut out the main distribution system, the Travel Agent. No more waivers and favors for corporate clients. No more preferred mileage for corporate travelers, nothing! So, where's the incentive to book USAirways anymore or any airline for that fact, because they will all follow suit. Bend over and let me wipe my butt with my US/AA/CO/DL/UA corporate contracts.

ex-US/ex-AA[:devil:]

Boy I'm having fun digesting all these fair weather friend 180 degree turnaround bashes ..I shall turn on the charm accordingly..180 degrees. All of a sudden, pluses like high on time performance,low baggage losses, Low DOT complaints, good safety record,friendly agents, and yes dirt cheap fares 90 percent competitive with other airlines, apparently mean sqwat in relation to the elementary school squabbling of who gets their fat ass up front in the cabin and whose status is higher. Like a pissing contest in 8th grade gym class. How mature. And how crystal clear the priorities in peoples lives are, especially since 9-11. Disgusting. I guess next time my attorney or doctor or software provider or grocer or gas station or mechanic jacks his fees up I have the right to go elsewhere?/Right?/ And its okay to cry about it or bash their profession on their local msg board..right??Talk about losing respect? Thanks for the lesson!

How this works out in the long run will be interesting. Does anyone know which upper level manager sign off on it? Lets see, if history repeats itself and half our passengers switch to Delta he or she will probably qualify for a large chunk of the 6 million dollars Dave has received for bonus. We need to know who sign off on this so we can track it. Accountability for all!