US Airways Fan Shares Interest Online

EMBFA

Veteran
Mar 1, 2006
US Airways fan shares interest online
Jul. 5, 2007 12:00 AM

US Airways has a big fan in Mark Tlalka. Really big. Web site big.

The 17-year-old high school graduate from Chicago has created a site - www.kinglobjaw .com - devoted to all things US Airways.

And the flying enthusiast says he hopes to meet with carrier officials at their Tempe headquarters while he's in the Valley with his folks on a trip to Scottsdale. Tlalka, who said he's flown the airline exclusively since he was 13 years old, remembers just one bad thing from his numerous trips on US Airways. advertisement

"Once they lost my bag, but they found it pretty quickly," he said. Otherwise, "I've always found the fares good and the service friendly."

He particularly loves the airline's upgrades and has been knows to fly "outrageous" legs to get places to rack up the frequent-flier miles. He was especially happy, he said, when was able to use his US Airways miles on another airline to get to Tahiti.

He's been on many trips throughout the United States and to the Caribbean, some recently to check out college aviation programs. He hopes to earn a degree in commercial aviation on his way to being a pilot.

People who cruise aviation Web sites often see his postings on Flyertalk.com, which bills itself at the "world's most popular frequent-flier community," and other forums.

"I am very positive and optimistic about this merger," Tlalka said, "and although there have been problems here and there, I think the new US is destined to succeed, and I want them to! I have been flying with US since 2003, exclusively and am an elite member in the Dividend Miles Program."

American West and US Airways merged in 2005.

Lol that even the Arizona Republic calls it American West?
At least they didn't say USAir.

Tlalka, who said he's flown the airline exclusively since he was 13 years old, remembers just one bad thing from his numerous trips on US Airways.....

I guess the rest of US customers are just wrong:

"US Airways’ on-time performance was the worst of the major carriers in May, with just 68 percent of its flights arriving on time and nearly 5 percent of its flights late at least 70 percent of the time. "

"In overall complaints, US Airways again settled into last place, with 137 incidents reported, about 2.7 per 100,000 passengers"

It just dawned on me that if he's only been flying US since 2003, then he doesn't have a true appreciation for what the airline really once was.

IMHO, 1997-2001 were some good years even with a failed UA merger. For people who like the way-back machine, I'm sure there are other periods. Those were just years that I traveled heavily and recall very few service problems and a very generous FF program.

Well I am sure young Mark and the Kids in the Sandbox will have a swell time. They can eat ice cream, play airport and make fun of icky girls like Sherry and Elise.

Then Doug can take him out for his first beer.

Is there any way we can get this young man to come to his senses? Not so much about being a USAirways fan. There's no accounting for taste.

But his desire to get his degree in commercial aviation to become a pilot is just plain sad. The "dues paying" period of commercial flying is no longer worth the goal. I totally get that this young man has been bitten by the flying bug, and that flying airplanes is just something he is likely very passionate about. I get that.

It's vitally important that he at least find an additional means of supporting himself and his future family. At least then he will be able to confidently look the chief pilot in the eye and tell him to "Shove it!" That's an essential ability that many USAirways pilots have learned over the last few years. USAirways has forced us all to look beyond this airline. Now the fact that we are seeing that there is life beyond USAirways is finally coming back to bite those arrogant, clueless MBA-types in the ass, e.g. Doogie's pathetic attempt to bribe the east pilots to get the airline moving again.

Mark, if you must, become an airline pilot. But also start a business, or go to law school, or grad school, or become a CPA, or physician, or dentist, etc. Have an out when the airline job just becomes too much of a pain. It likely will sooner rather than later.

It just dawned on me that if he's only been flying US since 2003, then he doesn't have a true appreciation for what the airline really once was.
I was thinking the same thing.....he's only been flying this pig for 4 years. When service was great, he wasn't born yet.

Then Doug can take him out for his first beer.
I think Doug already slipped some kool aid in his sippy cup!!

The 17-year-old high school graduate from Chicago has created a site - www.kinglobjaw .com - devoted to all things US Airways.

sky high states: Some of my fondest memories of that age is exactly what his parents are encouraging him to do. They're teaching him to.........fly.
And sadly, alot of us have lost that virtue in the process of growing older.
I wonder what HE would think of this board?

Misery loves company?

Sometimes, we learn from children.

only stating opinions

IMHO, 1997-2001 were some good years even with a failed UA merger. For people who like the way-back machine, I'm sure there are other periods. Those were just years that I traveled heavily and recall very few service problems and a very generous FF program.

Let's see... Who was in charge then? Wolf and Gangwal!! We all sang "the carrier of choice" corporate mantra!!! :up:

Folks,

He's a kid with a lot of free time to fly, and probably matching funds to enjoy such freedom. His website suggests the desire to cultivate a cult of personality, or at least join one that already exists. It's egocentric and ingratiating, and he makes no apologies for it, whether he recognizes his behavior or not.

I used to think he was just keenly interested in the airline and how it operates, but it appears he is more interested in sidling up to management and how the airline can assist him in racking up frequent flyer miles.

Get a job, Mark. Leave home, don't take money from Mom and Dad, try to exist on your own and then see where you end up after you actually have to deal with real life for a while.

Just have him connect through Philly just once on a storm filled evening...... :p He may change his tune :blink: