Us Airways Fills Vacant Management Positions

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
ARLINGTON, Va., March 26 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- US Airways announced today that it has filled two vacant management positions and will consolidate the two top positions of its wholly owned subsidiaries Allegheny and Piedmont Airlines.

Kathleen Jackson Harris has been named US Airways' vice president and deputy general counsel, a position that has been vacant for approximately one month.

Keith D. Houk will take on the responsibilities of president and chief executive officer of the combined Allegheny/Piedmont Airlines following the retirement of Piedmont President and Chief Executive Officer John F. Leonard on March 31, 2004.

Frank Cortez has been named managing director of US Airways' Philadelphia Airport operations, filling a recently vacated position.

Harris' and Cortez's appointments are effective immediately.

As vice president and deputy general counsel, Harris is responsible for general corporate matters, including corporate compliance, internal audit, Sarbanes-Oxley implementation and environmental issues.

Prior to joining US Airways, Harris was a member of General Electric's legal department for 11 years, and most recently held the position of senior counsel, global compliance and acquisition integration for GE Energy. During the course of her career, Harris has held key legal and compliance positions in the Auto Financial Services business of GE Capital in Illinois, Singapore and Ireland, and was assistant general counsel of the Philadelphia Gas Works. She was an associate in the financial services group with Blank Rome Comisky & McCauley, and a second vice president at Chase Manhattan Bank. Harris started her legal career as a corporate associate at Weil Gotshal & Manges in New York.

"Kathleen has more than 20 years of experience in corporate law and has successfully demonstrated her talents in a variety of important positions," said Elizabeth K. Lanier, US Airways executive vice president - corporate affairs and general counsel.

"John Leonard has dedicated more than 14 years to the US Airways Express division and has contributed greatly to the successes of Piedmont Airlines. We will miss his leadership and wish him the best in his retirement," said Bruce Ashby, president of US Airways Express.

Ashby added that Houk's knowledge of regional airline operations is unequaled in the industry. "Keith is a highly respected and valuable member of this management team, with the skills needed to bring both work groups together to form the most efficient operation," he said.

Allegheny Airlines is being merged with Piedmont Airlines and will operate under the name Piedmont Airlines, which is headquartered in Salisbury, Md. US Airways will continue to consolidate the management teams of both carriers. Houk currently is Allegheny's president and chief executive officer.

Cortez is now responsible for all of US Airways' ground functions at Philadelphia International Airport, where US Airways and US Airways Express operate 375 daily nonstop flights.

"Frank is a highly experienced veteran of the aviation industry and a strong leader with a proven track record of managing difficult situations," said Al Crellin, US Airways executive vice president of operations. "Philadelphia is a cornerstone of the US Airways franchise and is the mainstay to our international and Caribbean network. I can think of no one better to handle this enormous responsibility."

Cortez has been closely involved with US Airways' efforts to improve operational performance and customer service at Philadelphia Airport, overseeing a task force of employees formed last summer. US Airways has more than 5,500 active employees in Philadelphia.

During his career, he served in a number of senior-level positions at major companies, including Eastern and Northwest Airlines, Allied Signal Aerospace/Honeywell and Budget Group, Inc. He is a graduate of the University of Houston.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: US Airways

come on...if U is to make a go of it in PHL it needs leadership there.

if U is like most other organizations it is top-heavy in the middle of the top...sub-executives who run in circles all day and do nothing. These two hires are above that level.

Let us not forget why the Mgr's are adament concerning Kiosk's...

IT'S T_H_E_I_R BONUS>>>>>>

VOTED NO IN THE PAST...

WILL CONTINUE TO TOSS A ************NO VOTE****************

Bite Me.....

****smooch smooch**********

Frank is taking Rick Pelc's old job.

Did anyone else notice that the entire PHL station management is being tossed?

Openings in PHL for:

Manager Performance and Planning
Operations Duty Manager
Ramp Manager
Tower Manager
Customer Service Manager
Catering Manager
Station Administration Manager
International Manager

Sounds like someone is finally cleaning house in PHL

Hmm, granted I am not from the aviation business, but coming out of the Hospital business with the huge Medicare cuts in the past 10-15 years, and seeing 2-4 hospitals in large Metropolitan areas consolodate management, I'll speculate that those jobs could REALLY be handled by 1-3 folks.

Also, at least from my company's perspective, often when numerous jobs are eliminated and positions reopened, those folks whose jobs were eliminated get first dibs. None of them might be picked. But one or two might have the 'inside track.' I haven't seen any evidence of any new jobs that might be any of these jobs consolidated, just an idea. :-]

I'll bet a lot of those positions are vacant because the folks left for better (read: more secure, better leadership) positions elsewhere. Maybe even with "the competition". Yup, like rats jumping from a sinking ship. :(

oldiebutgoody said:
I'll bet a lot of those positions are vacant because the folks left for better (read: more secure, better leadership) positions elsewhere. Maybe even with "the competition". Yup, like rats jumping from a sinking ship. :(
In the case of Rick Pelc....you have to wonder.

Was it the lure of a new challenge?

Was it a matter of seeing the hand writing on the wall for U?

..or was it warning signs being telegraphed that his time at U was going to be coming to an end regardless of how things were going to turn out for U?

Phantom Fixer said:
In the case of Rick Pelc....you have to wonder.

Was it the lure of a new challenge?

Was it a matter of seeing the hand writing on the wall for U?

..or was it warning signs being telegraphed that his time at U was going to be coming to an end regardless of how things were going to turn out for U?
As far as Pelc, he knew he was going to be the fall guy for Al Crellin just like Charlie Martin was. Cortez is one of Dave's guys. It will not be that easy for Al. People are catching on to him......FINALLY

crushed said:
Mgrs. in PHL have been told that they need to re-apply for their jobs!
I just hope it's not too little too late.
Word has it that all PHL station employees, from shift mgr and on up has to re-intview for their jobs! Sadly, mgmt is not the only cause of the "Philly Phactor".

I see this as a positive sign especially to the front line employees. Hopefully the new people that are put in place will have the kahoona's to really change how things are done. Perhaps if Frank has a direct line to Dave, then he will get the resources necessary to make the hub work.

How much of the problem in PHL is a lack of resources and how much is the complexity of working with Philly government and the Philly mentality? Any thoughts?