US Airways is expected to report the second-biggest loss among domestic carriers

No union brain washes their members, apparently you have never been to a union meeting, or contract meetings and heard all the differing opinions.

Each member has the right to voice their opinion and concerns.

Glad to see you cant answer questions poised to you.

And your opinion is like the sphincter, everyone has one and it stinks.

And your opinion is straight from the right to work (for less) committee, chamber of commerce and Drunk Dougie and his merry band of thieves.

Come back when you can actually debate and use facts instead of attacks, insults and false truths.

Thought it was against US policy to post from work?

According to AMR's financial report which came out today, fare increases pretty well did cover the increased cost of fuel... this is precisely the problem that US will face. Other airlines will raise fares enough to cover their costs but are not going to accommodate the higher cost of fuel for carriers that don't hedge. This will be the story that will be repeated likely for the 2nd and 3rd quarters... few US airlines have significant hedges into the 4th quarter- unless they have recently been updated - so US will return to be on the same playing field.

According to AMR's financial report which came out today, fare increases pretty well did cover the increased cost of fuel... this is precisely the problem that US will face. Other airlines will raise fares enough to cover their costs but are not going to accommodate the higher cost of fuel for carriers that don't hedge. This will be the story that will be repeated likely for the 2nd and 3rd quarters... few US airlines have significant hedges into the 4th quarter- unless they have recently been updated - so US will return to be on the same playing field.
The story will be one of USAIRWAYS major hubs competes with WN in solely a leisure market, no yield! MM DEADWEIGHT!

I guess our MGMT knows more than most other Airlines with the hedge strategy.

Alaska Air Group remains well hedged against rising oil prices, saving $12.5 million in the first quarter.
Record first-quarter net income, excluding special items, of $29.5 million, or $0.80 per diluted share—more than double the $13.1 million,

Jet Blue

Operating income for the quarter was $45 million, resulting in a 4.4% operating margin, compared to operating income of $43 million and a 4.9% operating margin in the first quarter of 2010.
Pre-tax income of $6 million in the first quarter. This compares to a pre-tax loss of $1 million in the first quarter of 2010.
While fuel prices increased during the quarter, JetBlue continued to hedge to manage price volatility. Specifically, JetBlue hedged approximately 37% of its fuel consumption during the first quarter, resulting in a realized fuel price of $2.94 per gallon, a 34.5% increase over first quarter 2010 realized fuel price of $2.19. JetBlue recorded $2 million in gains on fuel hedges that settled during the first quarter.

JetBlue has hedged approximately 43% of its second quarter projected fuel requirements and 35% of its remaining 2011 projected fuel requirements using a combination of crude call options and collars, jet fuel swaps and heating oil collars. Based on the fuel curve as of April 15, JetBlue expects an average price per gallon of fuel, including the impact of hedges and fuel taxes, of $3.37 in the second quarter and $3.32 for the full year 2011.

"Despite significantly higher fuel prices, we are pleased to report a profit in the first quarter," said Dave Barger, JetBlue's President and Chief Executive Officer. "Our first quarter results demonstrate the success of our Boston and Caribbean network which continue to deliver strong revenue performance and the focus brought by our 13,000 crewmembers to deliver a great JetBlue Experience."

REMEMBER WE PULLED OUT OF BOS BECAUSE DOUG SAYS WE CAN"T MAKE MONEY>

Southwest.. Southwest Airlines (NYSE:LUV - News) today reported first quarter 2011 net income of $5 million,
We are very pleased to report first quarter 2011 operating income of $110 million and net income of $20 million (each excluding special items).

REMEMBER WE PULLED OUT OF BOS BECAUSE DOUG SAYS WE CAN"T MAKE MONEY
They're making money because US pulled out and AA has reduced flying there. US couldn't make money there because Jetblue was dumping seats on the market at fares US couldn't match profitably.

They're making money because US pulled out and AA has reduced flying there. US couldn't make money there because Jetblue was dumping seats on the market at fares US couldn't match profitably.

Untrue, Jet blue had a very limited schedule out of BOS to the CARIB until the day after we pulled out.

They did SJU and BDA and a few others but nothing like we were doing out of BOS

Untrue, Jet blue had a very limited schedule out of BOS to the CARIB until the day after we pulled out.

They did SJU and BDA and a few others but nothing like we were doing out of BOS
Jet Blue trashed the yields. No legacy carrier could compete effectively out of BOS. Right now, their cost structure is low enough to support p2p routes with cheap fares.

I left usairways last october and let me tell you life is GREAT! There is life after flying. I can't believe how relaxed and peaceful my life is now. I am traveling the country interning to learn about organic food production..or in laymans terms... Im farming! When they say being a Flight Attendant gets in the blood I think they are talking about the traveling part, not the crappy hotels, passengers and management. There are so many ways to travel! Yes you will not make the money you make and you will have to downsize, but if you can let go of the need for useless things, you can truly liberate your life. I plan on traveling to Italy to work at a winery later this year! Not only will I be in a beautiful area but i will get to learn Italian. One of the best parts about my new life is the opportunity to meet amazing people and form true relationships.
I leave this message to simply say... when you have finally had enough it is ok to walk away. I too wanted to hang in there and one day fly the best line, but lets face it, I would have been 60 and no hot italian guy would want me then.:) Life is just so much more like, well...life....
i wish you all the best!!

I left usairways last october and let me tell you life is GREAT! There is life after flying. I can't believe how relaxed and peaceful my life is now. I am traveling the country interning to learn about organic food production..or in laymans terms... Im farming! When they say being a Flight Attendant gets in the blood I think they are talking about the traveling part, not the crappy hotels, passengers and management. There are so many ways to travel! Yes you will not make the money you make and you will have to downsize, but if you can let go of the need for useless things, you can truly liberate your life. I plan on traveling to Italy to work at a winery later this year! Not only will I be in a beautiful area but i will get to learn Italian. One of the best parts about my new life is the opportunity to meet amazing people and form true relationships.
I leave this message to simply say... when you have finally had enough it is ok to walk away. I too wanted to hang in there and one day fly the best line, but lets face it, I would have been 60 and no hot italian guy would want me then.:) Life is just so much more like, well...life....
i wish you all the best!!

And this has what to do with the Airlines projected loss or profit? Glad that you feel good about leaving, but your post is wayyyyyy off topic.

Jet Blue trashed the yields. No legacy carrier could compete effectively out of BOS. Right now, their cost structure is low enough to support p2p routes with cheap fares.

Disagree, Ever look at the manifest on a shuttle flight? See how many chairman we have on board...
those are the same folks looking to go BOS-AUA on the weekend...

MGMT does not know how to run an airline.. That is the problem.

Those of us who follow US Airways know that the company decided that hedging was "To Expensive" and they were comfortable with the short to mid term outlook for fuel.

I've often been on here ranting about US and the "High cost of cheap" in their attitude and approach towards Employees & Customers. I always maintained that one day it would bite them in the ass big time. I'm wondering if 2011 is the year that "Cheap" costs them or even drives them into BK?

Those of us who follow US Airways know that the company decided that hedging was "To Expensive" and they were comfortable with the short to mid term outlook for fuel.

I've often been on here ranting about US and the "High cost of cheap" in their attitude and approach towards Employees & Customers. I always maintained that one day it would bite them in the ass big time. I'm wondering if 2011 is the year that "Cheap" costs them or even drives them into BK?
Could have been 08 or 09, when fuel was near $4 a gallon, WN hedged their fuel, US and others didn't. WN made a profit and US bi**he'd that they should have hedged their fuel. As you can see US has learned from its past and is doomed to repeat it! B)

Back