Us Airways' Near-miraculous Survival Plan

deano said:
I feel U should fail if for no other reason the fact U screwed its employees beyond belief. If U goes away it will send a message to corporate America that these kinds of tactics will not work. If U does survive airline employees will learn how third world workers live and airlines executives the likes of Glass will insist employee genuflect when near him and must never make eye contact with him least you perish instantly.

The insanity of corporate tyranny must end some place and I believe it should end with U's demise.

I know the public loathes CCY and hopefully it’s enough to place the final nail in U's coffin.

Am I bitter? Nope, I just can't stand what U's executives get away with the GOP's nod.
[post="239532"][/post]​
I can't speak for any of the other groups at U but the new F/A contract is not third world wages. Granted I would never have agreed to any of this if there we not a gun to my head but its alot better than I thought it was going to be. We will work about 18 days a month but I will still make in the mid 40s at top out. we only get in the low 20s for vacation days for a few years but its back up to 35 days in 4 years. All premium pay was reduced a little but it is higher than I ever thought we would get. Some work rules like 30 and 7 were eliminated but its at the F/As request the co still can't make you fly over. It is by no means walmart or Wendys. If anyone from other airlines wants more info drop me a line. I'm not saying its great by any means but its enough for some of us to stick around for a while longer

Us/boston said:
I believe the reason U got the extention is because the government thinks that the industry has to change. I believe they think U is doing what has to be done and they want U to succeed. If U survives other airlines will make the same changes and stablize the industry. If U fails then none of the other Legacy airline employees will ever agree to changes and most airlines will fail leaving those that could hold out the longest at the end. These surviving airlines will most likely be a mess from the fight and the US air travel systems will be in trouble. You might say that the true LCC will pick up the slack from the failed Legacy carriers but the LCC business models do not allow for extensive service to small citys with little revenue. They need some kind of Hybrid just like U is becoming. They need most of the Legacy carriers intact but just better able to compete with the LCC. I now believe U will survive.
[post="239530"][/post]​

Interesting slant on the situation, Us/boston. You could very well be right.

700UW said:
The ATSB has not loaned any airline money.

Can you understand what the difference between a loan gaurantee and a loan is?

The ATSB "cosigned" the note, they did not loan any tax money to any airline involved with the program.

From the ATSB Web Page:
So once again I am asking you to provide the board with factual information the the US Government loaned US Airways or any other airline tax dollars in the ATSB backed loans.
[post="239515"][/post]​
The party or individuals who co-signed for the loan guarantee are RESPONSIBLE for the loan repayment if the primary party defaults.
Someone might buy some of your routes/slots but the aircraft are not going to be in high demand on the market as excess capacity is a major problem.
AA is actually reducing fleet size this year by parking 15 MD80'S. United has already announced reductions in flights for this year and at the same time SWA is increasing fleet size and increasing or starting service to several cities.

SWA should be awarded more slots and flights because they know how to run a profitable airline.
It is obvious that USAir,AA,UAL,DAL,COL,NWA,AWA does not know how to operate a profitable airline in today's market.
They should be required to make a profit or give the routes to a company that has proved it can make a profit.[SWA]

You still have not answered the question, provide the facts that the ATSB lent tax payers money to US Airways.

And the loan has $1.4 billion in assets attached to it to more then cover IF a default happens.

Slots are only at LGA and DCA.

SWA should be awarded more slots and flights because they know how to run a profitable airline.

Hmmm. And did SWA have any aircraft lost on 911? Did SWA have a MAJOR hub shut down from full ops for MONTHS after 911? NOPE. The government does not care about profit. In fact, many pols are more worried about service to smaller underserved and even larger UNserved communities. SWA has a wonderful operation..the envy of us all..believe you me. But get off your high horse. It will not replace the entire air traffic system. Right or wrong (and I admire their guts) SWA going into all these major hubs all at once will be a defining moment for that airline. The fat lady may be singing for some us (US), but the full story is not over. 15 years ago I was like you. Now my airline is probably doomed. But I would not gloat..just yet. Best. Greeter.

It is obvious that USAir,AA,UAL,DAL,COL,NWA,AWA does not know how to operate a profitable airline in today's market.
They should be required to make a profit or give the routes to a company that has proved it can make a profit.[SWA]
[post="239559"][/post]​
[/quote

You have no idea what you are talking about! WN would be loosing $$ if they had not hedged fuel. I hate to be rude, but you must be a dumb consumer or a pilot! Please Sell Crazy somewhere else!

goingboeing said:
[post="239559"][/post]​

This is got to be one of the dumbest things I have read on this forum (or in the top ten at least). SWA is a domestic airline that does not interline bags and until recently had no code shares. US, UAL, DAL, COA, NWA, AA all are international carriers with very large international networks. It cost money to support a company with an infrastructure that size and the price of oil is driving that cost even higher. SWA only has to support a domestic operation as does the other LLC so naturally their cost is going to be lower than that of an airline that operates on a global scale.

skycruiser said:
This is got to be one of the dumbest things I have read on this forum (or in the top ten at least). SWA is a domestic airline that does not interline bags and until recently had no code shares. US, UAL, DAL, COA, NWA, AA all are international carriers with very large international networks. It cost money to support a company with an infrastructure that size and the price of oil is driving that cost even higher. SWA only has to support a domestic operation as does the other LLC so naturally their cost is going to be lower than that of an airline that operates on a global scale.
[post="239574"][/post]​

Thank you for the nice compliment! [Hey,I made the top ten!]

In case you haven't noticed most legacy carriers earn profits from their International routes but turn around and more than lose it with the domestic market.
If the legacy carriers cannot get their act together[especially domestic market] within the next 2-3 years several of them will no longer be around.
The lenders and shareholders are growing weary of losing billions of dollars.
The only value that an airline has is its routes/slots and the aircraft that it owns. The actual product of selling seats is a big money loser.

Walmartgreeter said:

Hmmm. And did SWA have any aircraft lost on 911?  Did SWA have a MAJOR hub shut down from full ops for MONTHS after 911? NOPE.  The government does not care about profit. In fact, many pols are more worried about service to smaller underserved and even larger UNserved communities.  SWA has a wonderful operation..the envy of us all..believe you me. But get off your high horse. It will not replace the entire air traffic system. Right or wrong (and I admire their guts) SWA going into all these major hubs all at once will be a defining moment for that airline. The fat lady may be singing for some us (US), but the full story is not over. 15 years ago I was like you. Now my airline is probably doomed. But I would not gloat..just yet. Best. Greeter.
[post="239564"][/post]​

I do not work for SWA but they have proven themselfs to earn profits no matter the overall condition of the airline business.[at least their management had the good judgement to hedge fuel prices]

I work for AA who is ONE of the BIGGEST MONEY LOSERS in the airline business and will be in serious trouble by 2006 if they do not make major changes this year.And concessions is not the answer to fixing the airline as we made concessions almost 2 years ago and look at how much money AA has lost in 2004.
So USAir has some good company when it comes to being a big money LOSER.
9/11 IS NOT the source of the legacy carriers troubles.[It was a few moments of turbulence that bounced the airlines around]

The truth hurts and SWA is the domestic airline that MAKES A PROFIT.
All of the legacy carriers are losers.

Still waiting for you to show the board that the ATSB lent US Airways Tax Dollars!

700UW said:
Still waiting for you to show the board that the ATSB lent US Airways Tax Dollars!
[post="239579"][/post]​
Chill out 700. I see how you got to over 4400 post. I'll answer for them. THE ATSB NEVER LENT USAIRWAYS ANY TAX DOLLARS!

El Gato said:
This morning, I saw a bird of paradise land on my windowsill in the chill morning air of the steel city. The bird spoke to me, saying in chirps that he was lost and was seeking his way home to the tropics. I asked him how he came to be on my windowsill, and he responded by saying he was shipped on an aircraft, but somehow he was lost amidst other bags and ended up in the 'burgh. I let him into my home, and gave him breakfast. So far, he is doing fine. Apart from my cat staring at him while licking her chops, he seems ok for now.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
drug test monday dude....we'll see about this..... :shock:

speedbird86 said:
Chill out 700. I see how you got to over 4400 post.
[post="239580"][/post]​
The only mystery is when does he have time to work and sleep.

Back