Status
Not open for further replies.

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
US Airways negotiations: 12 angry men

Friday, August 27, 2004
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Twelve pilot leaders are meeting this week to discuss a negotiating impasse with US Airways that, without resolution, could throw the company into bankruptcy next month. Where does everyone stand?

Article

Jim

Allegheny County Chief Executive Dan Onorato predicted yesterday that US Airways will file for bankruptcy and go out of business but said four to five other airlines were waiting to take space at Pittsburgh International Airport.

Okay, so why haven't other airlines been breaking down the doors to get into PIT..? They have the gate space or is it that passenger charge that is keeping them away..?

delldude said:
because they are only interested if we are "out of the picture".
[post="173174"][/post]​

I believe there is truth in what you say. There is probably some thinking going on that it is better to be a "savior" of an area that has lost airline service then a "vulture" picking over a carcass that may not be dead.

AWA has limited PIT service and I don't think it will add too much more flying there, especially of the type routes U flies to/from PIT. I think PIT is likely more suited to Independence Air.

12 angry men?

No, let me clarify that.

7 frightened and cowardly men, 5 who understand what the company is trying to do.

"Twelve pilot leaders are meeting this week to discuss a negotiating impasse with US Airways that, without resolution, could throw the company into bankruptcy next month. Where does everyone stand?"

Notice the word could. Everything the company and media has written or said uses could, may, might, possibly, etc......... Gets kind of old.

I know where the 7 stand. Anything and everything at any time for any reason.

The other 5? Hmmmm, isn't that an interesting question? And for the record, the company is going to throw it into bankruptcy. Not the pilots. We don't have that power.

mr

delldude said:
so then who has the muscle here? the 7 or the 5...i don't quite understand your voting rules.
[post="173204"][/post]​

There are 12 representatives on the MEC. A Captain and Co-pilot rep for each crew base. Each represents a specific number of pilots. The 5 fellows who have had enough of the nonsense represent the vast majority of pilots at the airline.

Thus those 5 control what happens to any agreement or proposal that is put to a vote.

mr

mwereplanes said:
There are 12 representatives on the MEC. A Captain and Co-pilot rep for each crew base. Each represents a specific number of pilots. The 5 fellows who have had enough of the nonsense represent the vast majority of pilots at the airline.

Thus those 5 control what happens to any agreement or proposal that is put to a vote.

mr
[post="173229"][/post]​

That would be PHL, PIT & BOS. Correct? B)

Correct.

For the record: All 5 understand what is at stake. They also understand that we must play a role in the transformation. They are NOT hardliners who are blind to what is going on in the industry.

But they also realize a land grap attempt when they see one.

mr

mwereplanes said:
Correct.

For the record: All 5 understand what is at stake. They also understand that we must play a role in the transformation. They are NOT hardliners who are blind to what is going on in the industry.

But they also realize a land grap attempt when they see one.

mr
[post="173236"][/post]​

Rumor is that the 5 will roll call the NC back to the table and the Special MEC meeting will be adjourned. They will not allow the company to do an end run around the NC. They also will not let the weak-sister 7 put the company proposal, which is NOT an agreement in any way, shape, or form, out for a membership vote.

The 5 will put the company on notice today that they negotiate with the Negotiating Committee, period.

I can tell you that the 5 are solidly steadfast in their resolve.

If the company truly wants the pilot group as part of their team in attempting to transform this company they will be able to get us on that team. They know what they must do to have that support.

If they do not then C11 is THEIR choice, not ours. Leadership, at this critical time, must come from Lakefield and his underlings. We are about to see if this company wants the pilots or the judge.

My money is on the judge. There is no leadership among dishonorable men.

mr

As a member of another group in the company we have a hard time following your procedures, committees and such. Please explain to me if there are 7 who are per say "not hardliners" and are willing to send the trash out to all the pilots for a vote...then does that not overrule 5 people on the other side of the fence. Some of us are not "in the know" Thank you

Since when did any of us have a crystal ball that flawlessly tells the future?

In the absence of such crystal ball, the use of the words "could" etc is completely appropriate.

If oil dropped to $20 tomorrow, that would change the dynamics significantly.

Moderator note: Deleted entire previous post quote- please read the pinned topic regarding quotes- you may use the fast reply or add reply if you don't want to quote the entire post.

networking said:
As a member of another group in the company we have a hard time following your procedures, committees and such. Please explain to me if there are 7 who are per say "not hardliners" and are willing to send the trash out to all the pilots for a vote...then does that not overrule 5 people on the other side of the fence. Some of us are not "in the know" Thank you
[post="173247"][/post]​

Networking,

The 5 represent the majority of pilots and therefore answer to thier rank and file, NOT the minority who the remaining 7 represent. Now the rebuttal of course will be those who say they do not represent the majority in thier respective bases and hence want it out for a vote. It,s easy to see both sides view and strategy and a little more dificult to understand how the 5 "hardliners" can roll call ( count thier respective vote time # folks they represent) to further thier beliefs.

BTW...MR is correct in his postings and the MEC will not accept the company offer. This I know firsthand from a "hardliner" in the last couple hours. What they do with the POS I can only guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts