Not open for further replies.

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
US Airways CEO: More cuts coming

Friday, June 18, 2004
By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bill Wade, Post-Gazette
US Airways CEO Bruce Lakefield: "[Pittsburgh] is kind of the victim, as we are the victim, to the low-cost carriers."
Click photo for larger image.

A week after cutting another 130 local airline jobs, US Airways Chief Executive Officer Bruce Lakefield hinted that more local cuts could be on the way as he strives to save the nation's seventh-largest carrier.

Article

Jim

When is THIS CRAP going to END?

A friend who is now in PHL, saw Lakefied.
Bruce had mentioned to him, US is a fax/phone call away from BK>>

Well then DO IT!!!

ALL smoke and mirrors to get WHAT THEY WANT!!!

Threat AIrlines should be there name!!! :down:

PineyBob said:
NOW after everyone is good and pissed off, the "New" guy comes in and plays it straight and now almost nobody wants to believe him.
A huge leap and faulty assumption on your part.

What makes you assume the new guy is playing it straight?

Yeah, yeah, we know he was in the navy and got to ride on a submarine. Zero airline experience, seeking zero input from those on the front lines, continuing the assault on contracts, continuing and increasing farmouts of contractually covered scope work, continuing the abuse of "labor relations." Another non leader filling out an acting role. The saga continues.

The "gentleman" has no credibility with this poster until he cleans out CCY, tours the system seeking input, addresses the massive operational inefficiencies, and does something OTHER than continue the mantra of labor must give more. This is nothing more than a continuation of the con game and assault on workers.

Again, the emperor has no clothes.

Anyone who thinks that one single thing in the corporate culture has changed since davey left is delusional and in sore need of a reality check. Wishing don't make it so.

ALPA, shame on you for your self serving deception. You will rue the day.

There has been MASSIVE cuts, 20,000 plus jobs and $1.2 Billion in annual concessions from employees is MASSIVE!

Looking at your emphasis on the word MASSIVE, am I to assume you are directing your post to mine above where I made a statement about massive operational inefficiencies?

I'm referring to the incredible waste, poor scheduling, etc etc...

I'm a bit confused by your post, I do agree labor has given and suffered MASSIVELY. Is that a word?

Elaborate?

D

The transformation plan is to eliminate 900+ utility folks, and gut the mechanics down to less then 800 and vendor out ALL maintenance.

And the elimination of reservations.

Yep real incentive for the unions to negotiate with with a bunch of liars and thieves. NOT!

PINEY,

What the employees could sink their teeth into are "Tangible" items.....not promises of possible future success or stock options that could be erased in BK court.

CASH is king. G. Bethune proved that at CAL where every employee rcvd a $60. bonus for each month that performance goals were met. That gets your attention in a hurry.....because you have some extra money in your pocket as a direct result of your efforts.

CAL also is in the habit of awarding fully-loaded Eddie Bauer edition Ford Explorers to employees that have had perfect attendence for each 6 month period. They are picked from a drawing and the winners are handed the keys by G. Bethune himself at IAH-HDQS. What does this cost CAL??? $120K or so??? A small price to pay for the benefit the company realizes from such initiatives. It demonstrates that employees DO matter and are appreciated. It creates a desire to succeed at the very least.

I personally asked Wolf while he was at UAIR about such an incentive program and he curtly retorted: "Your paycheck is your incentive." :down: He didn't even wish to entertain a further discussion. LOSER!!

That is the exact managerial mentality that has flocked to and flourished at UAIR over the years. Seigel knew about the success of these programs at CAL but he did nothing of a sort to even attempt to improve morale.......to create a sense of belonging. I guess he was too busy slashing the CBA's and fabricating scams to dupe the workforce with. And I must say that he was rather successful with his "Bait-n-Switch" techniques :angry: !!

Enter Bruce Lakefield.....soft spoken, highly regarded exec who will save us <_< . Will he or is this simply another ruse to squeeze more blood from our stones??? As the good book says: Beware of false prophets.....after all, Bronner is still the Admiral and GlASS is still advising everyone with his union busting philosophy. It's like little red riding hood where grandma is really a wolf in disguise.....pay careful mind to this notion. Because after ALL unions agree to a plan for survival(and they will).....WHAMMO :shock: !!! It will be bankruptcy part II inspite of all the assurances by Lakefield that it is not UAIR's intention to revisit BK. He wouldn't do that :huh: or would he??? I'm putting my money on the latter bet.

It's a lose-lose situation for the employees. One way or another we will be ground down into managements idea of a LCC. The problem is they are not treating the mold problem but rather repeatedly repainting it.....only to have it bleed thru time and time again. That's why failure is more than likely.

What needs to be done is to simultaneously reinvent the ENTIRE route system and perform a "stand down" while repositioning the company in the proper fashion once and for all. Then actually operate the new company with the intent to do exactly that......Run the airline instead of prepping it for sale.

NO....I will not quit but rather see this thing thru to either the bitter end or perhaps even witness a miracle?? I will just have to wait and see.

Also people fail to remember this Transformation Plan is not Lakefield's it is Seigel's.

Before Segiel was fired the BOD approved Seigel's Transformation plan, all Bruce is doing is following Dave's script.

And if you believe Ashby is in control of negotiations you are people are dupped, Glass still calls the shots he is Sr Vp of Labor Relations, as Bruce Ashby is VP of Expresss and Alliances.

golden1 said:
When is THIS CRAP going to END?

A friend who is now in PHL, saw Lakefied.
Bruce had mentioned to him, US is a fax/phone call away from BK>>

Well then DO IT!!!

ALL smoke and mirrors to get WHAT THEY WANT!!!

Threat AIrlines should be there name!!! :down:
Thats pathetic theycan't decide between a FAX or phone call.

PineyBob said:
You know that comment would be funny if there wasn't so much truth in it. That is ONE area where I have consistantly faulted US Airways and the style of Jerry Glass.

I firmly agree that massive cuts in workforce, wages & benefits are REQUIRED in order for US Airways to survive. I do firmly believe that there is a right way and a wrong way.

IMO not enough "Selling" as to why the cuts were required and what the plan was to ultimately turn the place around. NOW after everyone is good and pissed off, the "New" guy comes in and plays it straight and now almost nobody wants to believe him.

The cutbacks both then and now should have been & should be coupled with "incentives" to motivate the workforce and energize it in the pursuit of company objectives. If you chop the heck out of pay & benefits you have to give them something to try to earn some of it back and earn it in ways that benefit the company.
QUOTE Pineybob... Jun 19 2004, 02:17 PM

NO it isn't because I speak for ME alone.

I don't pretend to speak for entire workgroups like others

I say... what the heck you doing now? Looks like you are speaking for/about all work groups to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts