US Airways rejects PETA ad

US Airways rejects PETA ad
BizJournals.com, April 27, 2009

US Airways Group Inc. has rejected a second advertisement from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

PETA said Thursday it wanted to wrap a US Airways plane with an ad critical of legalized seal hunting in Canada. The ad shows a seal next to the blood-spattered tag line, “Canada’s Olympic Shame — End the Seal Slaughter.â€￾

The Virginia-based animal rights group proposed the wrap for flights between the United States and Canada to coincide with the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver.

“US Airways regularly reviews all of its advertising and sponsorship relationships, and potential relationships to ensure they are or would be consistent with our corporate image and culture,â€￾ says a spokeswoman. “The company has decided accepting advertising from PETA would not be the right fit for us at this time.â€￾

Linkage

Good! For once, US is *not* stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny. Any money they would make in advertising PETA's filth would be lost many times over from plenty of people (including myself) who would go out of their way to not fly on US. There is no sense in taking advertising dollars that turn off 99% of your customer base.

I think this would be a fantastic idea. I can already see it touching down in YVR.

Then we can paint another one that says: "PANDEMIC: SWINE STRIKE BACK" and use it on PHX-MEX. I'm sure nobody will mind. I mean, as long as we explain we're doing it for a quick buck and not because we as a corporation have any ethical convictions.

Terrorism, pandemic, financial chaos, eroding travel demand and now these people want us to alienate our northern market because seals don't have sense enough to dodge a baseball bat?

Madness.

Looks like PETA is also working with WN:

Group Hopes Ad Will Persuade Canadian Citizens, Government to End Disgraceful Seal Slaughter

For Immediate Release:
April 28, 2009

Colleen Higgins 757-622-7382

Dallas -- As the annual slaughter of more than 330,000 baby seals continues on Canada's ice floes, PETA is escalating its efforts to stop the massacre with plans to wrap a new ad around a Southwest Airlines jet. The ad shows a vulnerable seal next to the blood-spattered tagline "Canada's Olympic Shame--End the Seal Slaughter." PETA hopes to feature the ad on the Dallas-based airliner's flights between the U.S. and Canada as part of an international campaign that focuses on the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver.

<SNIP>

For more information, please visit PETA.org. To view the ad, please click here.

Here’s a picture of the WN aircraft:

Wait for it,

are you ready?

24wwqwz.jpg

[/FAIL]

Good! For once, US is *not* stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny. Any money they would make in advertising PETA's filth would be lost many times over from plenty of people (including myself) who would go out of their way to not fly on US. There is no sense in taking advertising dollars that turn off 99% of your customer base.

Agreed 100%/ Way to go US on this one :up: :up:

I agree good job US Airways should not advertise that way.

A good article
Exclusive: PETA’s Pet Killing Program Set a New Record in 2008
Public Records: PETA Found Adoptive Homes for Less than 1 out of 300 Animals

here is the link

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

peace

Thanks for posting that Kamono! I have met alot of PETA members and to say the least they are usually a big freak. They think we should live on nothing but water, nuts, and berries. Sorry but I'm a meat eater and considering since man kind we have always eaten meat. It lead's me to believe our bodies need it. I tried to stop eating all beef completely and I got very sick. My doctor told me I would have to go on a slew of supplemental meds and eat certain things. I went home and ate a nice big fat steak that day and never looked back.

I am glad Airways turned them down. All this would do is push away Canadian traffic!

What does being a meat eater have to do with PETA? PETA is about abuse of animals and not whether you are vegetarian or not.

Your body needs protein, of which "meat" is only one of many sources. Soy beans actually provide a much better source of protein than the hormone injected, forced fed and highly stressed sources you think you need. BTW, your doctor is an idiot.

You may wish to start reading medical journals and quit watching the tube. You will be healthier by doing so. Guaranteed.

I'm glad US said no to PETA as well. Ya know, it's fine to support your cause but some of those ads are as graphic as the weirdo's that stand on corners of busy intersections with abortion posters. I shouldn't have to explain to my eight year old nephew what that 6 foot tall picture of a fetus is all about as we sit at a red light. It's disturbing right along with a picture of a bludgeoned seal on the side of an airplane. Nutjobs. :rolleyes:

His Doctor did manage to attend and graduate Medical School and get his license to practice medicine.

I think the reason that many people resent PETA is because they try to ram their position down peoples throats in a way that is not unlike the likes of Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson.

And for the record PETS does oppose eating meat

Thanks PineyBob, it's amazing how one can say another knows not what they speak of, mean while they are the one who actually have no idea what they are speaking of. PETA people are vegans and vegatarians, how dumb can you be to think they fight for animal rights and yet they still eat them.

So do me a favor USSNARK, let the doctors be the doctors and you keep pushing cokes and peanuts. :rolleyes:

So do me a favor USSNARK, let the doctors be the doctors and you keep pushing cokes and peanuts. :rolleyes:
For the record, they do advocate alternatives but do not rule out meat eaters like yourself, the local leadership actually eats meat. :shock:

Your doctor is rather, um, narrow-minded, sort of like witch-doctors, I see. :rolleyes:

This country was founded upon the foundation of individual Freedom and Liberty which means you can think/believe whatever you want, but it also means you have no right, no matter how misguided you feel I might be to interfere with my personal freedom and liberty.

You equate the side of someone else's Airbus to your personal freedom and liberty?

This nation was also built upon the tenets of the free market, in which one party is allowed to barter, buy, and sell whichever goods, services, and ad space they from which ever party they so choose. This was purely an economic decision. You'll notice that US (wisely) declined the proposal in the least judgmental way possible.

His Doctor did manage to attend and graduate Medical School and get his license to practice medicine.

I think the reason that many people resent PETA is because they try to ram their position down peoples throats in a way that is not unlike the likes of Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson.

And for the record PETS does oppose eating meat

The last thing PETA cares about is animals. They chose animals as their front because who doesn't love animals? PETA is a subversive organization that also funds ELF. ELF is the bunch of nuts that goes around burning things like Hummers (which IMHO are silly) and brand new homes and developments.

There are plenty of nutjob organizations in ths country and PETA is right at the top 2 percentile.