Us Airways Revisits Outsourcing

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
US Airways revisits outsourcing

With America West merger done, airline wonders if cuts went too far

TONY MECIA

Gene Tinker figures his task should have been simple: Figure out what airline offers the best fares to Maine for a family vacation next summer.

Tinker, a retired packaging-products sales executive, doesn't use computers. So he picked up the phone.

In a series of calls to US Airways, though, he says he couldn't find a reservations agent he could understand.

Charlotte Observer

"However, US Airways customers buying tickets can also call the old America West reservations number, (800) 235-9292, to get agents in Tempe, Ariz., or Reno, Nev. Starting this month, those agents can book flights throughout the airline's expanded network, including flights from Charlotte."

Jim

boy i guess that the outsourcing really worked so well---so well in fact that "Delta is bringing it back form India" due to "some quality issues"!!!

This is often the case with outsourcing. The quality is almost never better, but the price is usually so cheap, at leasts on paper in an MBA sort of way, that its hard not to go for it. Then customers start to get pissed.....

"However, US Airways customers buying tickets can also call the old America West reservations number, (800) 235-9292, to get agents in Tempe, Ariz., or Reno, Nev. Starting this month, those agents can book flights throughout the airline's expanded network, including flights from Charlotte."

Jim

America West res agents are cheaper than Indian workers! :lol:

I can understand some outsourcing, like ordering a DELL but other more complex communications - such as TECH SUPPORT for Dell or purchasing a ticket for 4 family members trying to sit together - I think it's a terrible idea.

And you just have to laugh when someone you just cannot understand says that his name is Jim - about the only word that you can understand is "Jim"

I can understand some outsourcing, like ordering a DELL but other more complex communications - such as TECH SUPPORT for Dell or purchasing a ticket for 4 family members trying to sit together - I think it's a terrible idea.

And you just have to laugh when someone you just cannot understand says that his name is Jim - about the only word that you can understand is "Jim"
Yes,This is Jim.Im sorry sir,yes we have no bananas.....

It's always about the bottom line... nothing like calling India to book a flight out of CLT.

SpinDoc Replies:

US Airways reservations outsourcing was all
about cheap, temporary replacement workers
to cover the loss of bodies after the buyouts.
Anyone who believed it was a permanent
solution does not know how things go in
business. After HP and US reservations operations
are merged, the outsourcing will disappear and HP
will hire more people off the street for $9.00
per hour in PHX and INT.

• Banned
Where have you been?

PIT has been closed down.

Jim
We already can AND some calls are being filtered through to us directly if you push the sales button. We're shocked at the number of calls that came in this week-end. Hehehe I know how it feels--used to be there myself--I personally think it was a test--to see if we can handle getting rid of the outsoursed offices.

Jim
When calling America West reservations number for USAirways flights can you get the full service of a USAirways agent seat assignments, reissue, international travel, awards and flight credit travel, star alliance,UAL code sharing,Unaccomtanied minors,Special Service Passengers (which we have a legal responsibillity to) the list goes on and on and on VERY CONFUSING TO THE CUSTOMER

I can share my personal experience last week having to call US to have a certificate booked (couldn't be done online). After receiving a 'Thank You for Calling US Airways, this is Bobby', my experience went downhill fast. I had to explain the cert I had to 'Bobby' three times, put on hold, gosh I lost count. All told, the experience lasted about 30 minutes. In the past, the gang in PIT/INT had this done in 5-7 minutes.

I'm a former U employee from PHL, BOS, DEN, & RIC before leaving a few years back. I left on good terms, on my own, and try to support U whenever I can, but this has to change! I don't have the time to talk to 'Bobby' in Manilla, San Salvador, or wherever he is. 'Bobby' in INT will make things so much better.

Back