He's The Exec At Controls Of Us Airways'

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
He's the exec at controls of US Airways' major merger

America West's Kirby talks with Observer about future of airlines
TONY MECIA

Will the merger between US Airways and America West produce a strong new force in the U.S. airline industry -- or lead to yet another round of financial troubles?

The answer in large part depends on how well company management integrates the No. 7 and No. 8 airlines. That process started in earnest a few weeks ago, even though the deal isn't expected to close until early October.

Charlotte Observer Interview

Its a well known fact that most (around 66%) mergers and up failing...

It always seems like a good idea.. BUT, M&A are the most difficult thing for even the best financial minds in the world to calculate.

I strongly suspect that the main thing that determines winners and losers is an intangible, specifically the differences in corporate culture and how those differences are resolved.

hp_fa said:
I strongly suspect that the main thing that determines winners and losers is an intangible, specifically the differences in corporate culture and how those differences are resolved.
[post="285009"][/post]​

If you take a moment and attempt to look at things from a positive standpoint for a change , you will see that U is more than ripe for a complete cultural over-haul , my only concern is how long will it take to purge the old mindset..and allow the new culture to be absorbed?

Face it , we will either embrace this change...or what was U and what was HP will likely die. I would prefer to see the combined companies make a go of it , working for a losing team is taking too heavy of a toll on far too many people.

HP, thats certainly part of it.. I think a lot of it is ego... Every CEO always thinks they are the one who can pull off the big one. Every one who has the chance wants to try it too... who in their shoes wouldnt? M&A is the pinnacle of the financial world.

it's kind of along the lines of all CEO's will insist their companies stock price is too low.

Unfortunatly some MBA's aren't worth the income they make. They are better at fleecing the companies they run. I concur, it's their ego.
As far as cultural overhaul, the appointment of Al doesn't help the operation from an employees stand point. It actually deters the forward momentum. He is percieved as one of the major hamstrings of this company.

Phantom Fixer said:
If you take a moment and attempt to look at things from a positive standpoint for a change , you will see that U is more than ripe for a complete cultural over-haul , my only concern is how long will it take to purge the old mindset..and allow the new culture to be absorbed?

Face it , we will either embrace this change...or what was U and what was HP will likely die. I would prefer to see the combined companies make a go of it , working for a losing team is taking too heavy of a toll on far too many people.
[post="285011"][/post]​

Ummm, my post was not directed at any particular company. It was a broad statement about many mergers and acquisitions. Why are you so defensive?

hp_fa said:
Why are you so defensive?
[post="285110"][/post]​
Like anyone left at that U, he is dramatized, victimized, abused and scarred for life.

Go look at the employees faces, they are all hollow shells of their former selves as if like their life force has been sucked out by some evil entity who enjoys others suffering anguish.

At the airport over the weekend upon seeing a older F/A coming off duty walking thru the parking lot looking like she was getting into her SUV to drive off the nearest bridge. The human psyche can only sustain so much abuse before it produces ill effects.

In other words…give him a friggin break.

hp_fa said:
Ummm, my post was not directed at any particular company. It was a broad statement about many mergers and acquisitions. Why are you so defensive?
[post="285110"][/post]​

hp_fa,

I was not being defensive...I was stating fact in regards to U as it is today.
My greatest hope is that this merger brings cultural change...and a total revamping of the current mindset that has plagued an otherwise great bunch of people.

U in it's stand alone form is ate up with problems...and most if not all stem from the top.

I hope Doug Parker can see the good in what we are...and take notice of the bad and see clearly how to weed it out.

I know many here are really turned off about AC remaining with this merged company...and I can't say one way or the other , since I have never personally or knowingly been impacted by what many say is shear stupidity and an un-willingness to lead....but as many as are against this guy , both customer and employee alike , they can't all be wrong.

I'm sorry if you mis-understood my post.....as I for one am eager to see some positive change that will hopefully benefit us both (all)....I'm just sad to see it have to come to a point where more jobs and lives will be negatively impacted to make things right. We on this side of the coin have had plenty of that since 9-11-01...and CCY still couldn't pull it off , even with a BK Judge in their corner (twice).

Let's hope that Doug Parker and his young crew have the answers and the vision to make this thing work.

calibrator said:
Like anyone left at that U, he is dramatized, victimized, abused and scarred for life.
Go look at the employees faces, they are all hollow shells of their former selves as if like their life force has been sucked out by some evil entity who enjoys others suffering anguish.
At the airport over the weekend upon seeing a older F/A coming off duty walking thru the parking lot looking like she was getting into her SUV to drive off the nearest bridge. The human psyche can only sustain so much abuse before it produces ill effects.
[post="285119"][/post]​

Don't you think you are going a little overboard? I see what you see and have gone through similar things, but in no way would describe my fellow workers in this way. I, as I am sure everyone else have a lief outside of work. There is no reason why these events at U should take you to the point where you can be described as above. If so, then you need to cut the umbilical cord from U and leave.

I think you folks have this all backwards. ALL of the US Airways people I've talked to throughout the system are ready and willing and excited- yes excited about the new US Airways. They are ready for the new corporation and anxious to get started. I just hope that the America West folks don't listen to the Doom and Gloomers and expect us to feel the way they (D&G'ers) do. Let's put this thing together and kick Southwest, AirTran, JetBlue, Delta, etc ASS!!!

It almost feels like the old Jet Piedmont spirit re-emerging...
:up:

If "creating impressions of excellence" didn't bring about cultural change... what makes you think this will?

Once creditors wise up and stop bailing this loser druggy teenage step child out of jail, you'll see the change.

With a CASM of over 9.0 including Fuel you are dreaming about going up against JetBlue, Southwest and AirTran.. All are at 7.5 or below including fuel.. So dream on. In order for the MEGA LCC to get to that level more cuts need to be done.. Big deep cuts.. Painful cuts.. Dougie is not up to the challenge.

a320av8r said:
I think you folks have this all backwards. ALL of the US Airways people I've talked to throughout the system are ready and willing and excited- yes excited about the new US Airways. They are ready for the new corporation and anxious to get started. I just hope that the America West folks don't listen to the Doom and Gloomers and expect us to feel the way they (D&G'ers) do. Let's put this thing together and kick Southwest, AirTran, JetBlue, Delta, etc ASS!!!

It almost feels like the old Jet Piedmont spirit re-emerging...
:up:
[post="285246"][/post]​

justaumechanic said:
With a CASM of over 9.0 including Fuel you are dreaming about going up against JetBlue, Southwest and AirTran.. All are at 7.5 or below including fuel.. So dream on. In order for the MEGA LCC to get to that level more cuts need to be done.. Big deep cuts.. Painful cuts.. Dougie is not up to the challenge.
[post="285481"][/post]​

justaumechanic,

Money is a big factor but if the product is better then they will pay extra. Case in point would you rather stay at a Holiday Inn or the Marriott? Sure the H.I. is cheaper but the extra bucks are worth the value returned. You noticed I did not say overpriced but reasonable.

AW is doing this right now out west and the people love them. If you look at the clubs, Star Alliance, First class, comfirmed seating and such it is easy to see.

US needs to clean the aircraft, terminals and provide better service. Then the customer will pay a few bucks extra.

Latest posts