Us Airways Seeks 23% Union Pay Cut

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
US Airways seeks 23% union pay cut

As of midmorning Friday, the airline had not filed the emergency motion, according to a company spokesman.

"We intend to negotiate to reduce the severity of the interim relief the company has indicated they will request," spokesman Perry Hayes said.

The pilots union, which resumed talks with US Airways management Wednesday, said it remains committed to reaching a long-term cost savings deal with the airline outside Section 1113.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
US Airways seeks 23% union pay cut

The pilots union, which resumed talks with US Airways management Wednesday, said it remains committed to reaching a long-term cost savings deal with the airline outside Section 1113.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="184050"][/post]​
Another good laugh.. I love these boards...this is like being committed to cutting off your own head.... :lol:

Will someone please explain to me how the company is supposedly willing to negotiate to a set of terms that they will subsequently plead to the Court that are less than what they will claim to the Court they need to survive?

Pretend for a moment Joe Blow earns $20.00 per hour. The company wants to negotiate that down to $16.00 per hour and informs Joe that he takes the $16.00 per hour, or they will petition the Court to make Mr. Blow's rate of pay $14.00 per hour.

Isn't there a credibility problem here and, potentially, with what information is given to the Court?

hp_fa said:
Will someone please explain to me how the company is supposedly willing to negotiate to a set of terms that they will subsequently plead to the Court that are below what they need to survive?

Pretend for a moment Joe Blow earns $20.00 per hour. The company wants to negotiate that down to $16.00 per hour and informs Joe that he takes the $16.00 per hour, or they will petition the Court to make Mr. Blow's rate of pay $14.00 per hour.

Isn't there a credibility problem here and, potentially, with what information is given to the Court?
[post="184068"][/post]​

Yes, your honor, we really are asking the employees to help finance our bankruptcy, because nobody else really cares.

The issue is the emergency cuts are steeper salary-wise than what US ultimately needs to make-up for the lack of new work rules. I find it hard to believe the judge won't approve the requests, so really there is a huge incentive to coming to TAs ASAP.

USFlyer said:
The issue is the emergency cuts are steeper salary-wise than what US ultimately needs to make-up for the lack of new work rules. I find it hard to believe the judge won't approve the requests, so really there is a huge incentive to coming to TAs ASAP.
[post="184073"][/post]​

the judge will approve the temporary cuts... judges like temporary things. I agree.

you all are talking like your gonna have a job. you must be Senior. They have already crunched the numbers. So you'll stick around but it will never be better from this point on. You should know that but at least you're starting to feel. No one will have a job at U when this is through. I think they kinda want you to Strike. I can walk at SFO tomorrow.

I know you think I'm kidding but Michael Moore should be notified. He probably has people that can get to most airports by tomorrow morning and he'll need footage of tomorrow most. He himself can do the back story later

I dont know but I think we may be very close to tricky here. You wont here it from the union guys first. U is probably in very high "manage in the moment" here. I think if it does unfold like some are predicting (I mean aircraft parked along with the employee losses. .150, 16000) i just dont think you can not have a little disruption. The creditors are calling the shots. Business is business. It MAY get big play because its an airline not a telecommunication company. Its certainly not Martha Stewart caliber but the public is fascinated with carriers. And of course they created this by demanding something for almost nothing. Well,capitalism created it. But the corner has been turned. And U will not be the first. The people with the money know it...this will probably snowball, at least to United.

Just a thought, people still shop at Wal-mart. Know they probably shouldn't but dollar is king.

People will forget about U. The goal has been met in that the economic shift from High cost to low cost has just taken a huge step.

Money is King.
you either have it or you don't and theres gonna be alot more people who dont soon