US Airways studies United baggage charge

This will result in a large increase in carry on luggage. It will be out of control. The carry on bag limit is NOT, NOT, NOT enforced as it is. Not in ANY station. Just wait and see!

If our overall baggage stats were better, I would say go for it...but as things stand now-- we would create more of a problem with refunding the extra charges when the bag doesn't make the flight.

Pretty sad that Southwest provides more service than the so-called "full service" United Airlines (and soon to be US).

Allegiant charges for checking the first bag, but they don't sell any $1000 fares, either.

This will result in a large increase in carry on luggage. It will be out of control. The carry on bag limit is NOT, NOT, NOT enforced as it is. Not in ANY station. Just wait and see!
Exactly! Why Management can't get it through their heads (I know, it's a little difficult when THEIRS is up their arsce) that there is only so much space on an aircraft and when pax abuse the carryon limits, it is not fair for the last to board customers to find no space available. Tempe eliminating closets and increasing seat capacity hasn't helped matters either. It seems a little more RATIONAL for the airlines to charge for you to CARRY It On, and make it Complimentary to Check it but then again......you need a sound system to DELIVER the bags and not have excuses for WHY it didn't get there. And where is the FAA in all of this?

The new United policy only applies to those travelling on a non-refundable ticket that do not have status in the FF program. While that is a fair number of people - I could care less since I have status.

For US - charging for extra bags could be a disaster as boarding flights is already a nightmare because of all the stuff people drag on board. Still can't figure out why it takes US twice as long to board a plane as other airlines - unless it is caused by the fact that US jams more people onto a plane than other airlines. The larger overheads on other airlines also helps to speed up the boarding process I guess.