Us Airways To Make Deeper Cuts

wts54

Senior
Sep 16, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Falling behind on its post-bankruptcy recovery plans, US Airways executives will propose another round of cost cuts to the board of directors by year's end, the carrier disclosed Tuesday.
US Airways CEO David Siegel told employees in a company newsletter the airline needs to close "the shortfall between revenue and costs." Executives want to generate more revenue and reduce costs, including "restructuring or resizing money-losing segments of the company," he said, without giving specifics.

Siegel's comments were partly a reaction to US Airways' recent posting of a $90 million loss for the third quarter. He also warned of fare pressures from discount airlines -- especially from Southwest Airlines.

"They are going to have to look somewhere else than the pockets of labor. Our well is dry," said Jack Stephan, spokesman for the Air Line Pilots Association.

"Labor is very frustrated. Every time we've been asked to ante up (with concessions), we have," said Stephan. "But we don't see anything happening with the investment we made.

US Airways exited bankruptcy March 31 after shedding $1.9 billion in annual costs. About $1 billion of that came from labor concessions.

"Without cutting costs further, the airline can certainly save money by not paying high-priced lawyers to fight our contracts," said Joe Tiberi, spokesman for the International Association of Machinists. The union currently is in federal court to thwart management's outsourcing of Airbus heavy maintenance work. Tiberi had not seen Siegel's message and declined further comment.

The airline reduced costs to 9.7 cents per available seat mile last quarter from 12.3 cents in first quarter 2002. The industry measures costs by aggregate miles flown per airplane seat.

"We actually exceeded the cost goals we originally set back in the spring of 2002," Siegel said. "But the world has changed ever since then, and to successfully compete, we've got to bring down costs further."

Siegel said in order for US Airways' cost structure to fit the current revenue environmment, it needs to reach "certainly a number south of 9 cents.

"How far south depends upon what we think our long-term revenue production can be, given the structural changes that we're seeing," the CEO said.

Most of that industry change relates to consumer demand for lower fares and discount airlines' efforts to fill that need. Chief among them is Southwest Airline's bold decision to initiate Philadelphia service next May with 14 daily flights -- with gate space to grow to 40 a day.

Southwest is a low-fare carrier whose operating costs, at about 6.3 cents per seat mile, are about one-third lower than US Airways'. Philadelphia also represents about one-quarter of US Airways' operating revenue, analysts say.

Siegel called the incursion "a direct assault on our principal hub."

Company policy prohibits publicizing when or where US Airways board meetings are scheduled, said airline spokesman David Castelveter.

The board, however, has yet to meet to formulate the 2004 budget and would be expected to do so within the next eight weeks.

Thomas Olson can be reached at [email protected] or (412) 320-7854.

Ugh. News never seems to ever get better. I wish I could be in that room with management and the unions. Question: Aren't additional cost cuts technically already in the "pipeline", so to speak? Such as ALPA productivity improvements to be phased in over time, the new F/A reserve system, etc.?

Also, even as a passenger I see daily operations-type things that need to be revisited. I had the pleasure of sitting in PHL yesterday due to the fog. I saw planes depart around 9-10 a.m. only to see that gate then sit empty for another FOUR hours. What a waste.

If the gangsters of ccy need deeper cost cuts, then I'd say they are the ones
that should give up say 99.9% percent of their checks, give up their free first class
rides, force them to pay twice more than we the employees for medical expenses.
and sell their big mansions and tear down the one house on sxm!

Let's close a few more stations and let the competition move in. Then we can replace a bunch of Mainline flying with the loveley RJ's to stem our losses.
Cutting our own throats to save a buck, or saving ourselves out of Business as one expert put it. It is much better to cut our wages than to focus on increasing marketshare and revenue....at least these jokers think so. I agree that we could work for free and still not make a freaken dime. We earn less than any of the other Major carriers do, and several of them are starting to turn the corner to profitablity...what gives here folks???? Maybe a lack of vision...no Business plan :down: other than wage cutting???

everytime a LCC hits our turf....management reponse is WE must reduce OUR costs.ie:wages,bennies,etc....[you-me]....
did it every occur to anyone,this response is going to keep U still afloat and as i'm starting to see may or may not be an all hands on deck effort to keep the corporation alive to see the day when chip's uct comes to pass?
makes you wonder if thats what the game plan really is......

wts54 said:
"We actually exceeded the cost goals we originally set back in the spring of 2002," Siegel said. "But the world has changed ever since then, and to successfully compete, we've got to bring down costs further."
Changed in the past year? Yes, passengers are flying again, yields are up (although not at pre 9/11 levels), and morale is in the toilet. Other carriers continue to grow yet US Airways seems to drift like a rudderless ship. This place is screaming for a leader who will lead and inspire. Dave, you gave the impression that would be you when you first came here. The majority of the employee group and our customers have not seen it! What will you do to lead and inspire?

I agree.....Dave the well is dry. It is up to you to come up with a new and viable business plan to steer this ship to calmer waters. If you didn't have the vision a year ago to see that every airline would have to go through the same process as we did, that LCC would continue to expand and errode key markets, then you sir have failed. When you signed the contracts after round 2 and exited bankruptcy, you should have had all the tools in place that you needed. Sorry but YOU will not get another dime out of any employee group here.

The part that is so discouraging is that nothing has been done with the $2billion in savings that he has received from the employees and vendors. Where is the marketing plan? Where is the plan to generate revenue? Where is the plan to fight the LCC's? If his plan to fight is to ask for more concessions then this company is in trouble because labor costs are not the issue any longer. Southwest employees make more than I do now. Could it be that they have a better product, a better plan and a more efficient operation? Could it be that their management has vision and isn't afraid to compete? Yes, Siegel is going to stand and fight. It's just going to be with his own emploees!

Crazyincanton

what makes Dave think, and I use that term loosley,, with furthur
cut's that will become profitable?

OFFER A BUYOUT( line forms behind me), THOSE THAT WISH TO TAKE IT****waves hand*******,TAKE A FEW THOUSAND, MED, FLYING AND TURN
ME LOOSE!

that's a business plan that will work______or>>>>>>>>>>>>

DUMP DAVE NOW :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Latest posts