Us Airways To South Africa

With this weeks announcement that South African Airways will be entering the Star Alliance, isnt it about time that US Airways applies for PHL-JNB or PHL-CPT service. South Africa is one of the most untapped markets in terms of serivce from the United States(SAA flies ATL-CPT and JFK-JNB)
While i doubt that the A330-300 can do it nonstop, I believe that we have options to change that to a A340, which I think can make it. I hope we jump on being the first US airline to serve this wonderful country.

US changed their options to A330-200s which they ordered probably to replace the 767-200ERs are they are starting to show their age, no new 330-300s or 340s coming.

No bucks in it for us. AT one time, the Rand was !.58 to the dollar.
Now, with new Gov. , Rand is .45-59 to the dollar. Too bad.

I doubt Dave & Dave would be interested...

I don't think an EMB-170 can make it that far.

You are right South Africa is a bargin for americans. I am planning to go in the fall.

Right now ATL - CPT is the shortest route to CPT. All others you need to go to Europe, and then due south. With that route you are only going on one side of a triangle not two, cuts of several hours of flying time, not to mention the lay-over in Europe.

Maybe that flight wil change to CLT - CPT if SAA leaves sky team, and joins *A.

US or South African Airways will NEVER fly from PHL/CLT to Africa. The demand for those routes is not even close to being enough to denote a flight. If the flight moves away from ATL....I can maybe see IAD or more JFK flts....maybe ORD....but the fact that you have to make a stop for all of these flts makes it a little less desirable.

SAA's ATL flights will likely be moved to both Miami (largest O&D market between the US and South Africa) and Washington, D.C.

PineyBob said:
Bear96 said:
I doubt Dave & Dave would be interested...

I don't think an EMB-170 can make it that far.
true and they'd hire Mesa to fly it and they would get lost and land in South America.
Hmmmm...that sounds more like Shuffle America's style... ;) landing at the wrong airport and all...

Singleflyer said:
Right now ATL - CPT is the shortest route to CPT. All others you need to go to Europe, and then due south. With that route you are only going on one side of a triangle not two, cuts of several hours of flying time, not to mention the lay-over in Europe.

ATL-CPT may be the shortest route currently available, but certainly not the shortest potential route. At 7064nm, it's 139nm LONGER than the JFK-JNB route, which is only 6925nm. Even JFK-CPT, which isn't offered nonstop, is shorter than ATL-CPT. It's only 6775nm. Either way, if you live in the NE it would be more prudent to fly JFK-JNB and then connect.

These are great circle route distances.

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=atl-cpt...navy&MAP-STYLE=

Interestingly, SAA will be serving the ATL-CPT route with new A340-600's.

But with SAA in *A, I would expect them to be gone from the Skyteam, and summarily drop the ATL-CPT service.

TransatlanticFlyGuy,

The distance between PHL and JNB is approx. 6961 nm.

The A330-300 having a max range of 5600 nm does not come close.

The A330-200 having a extra fuel tank will get a little closer with a range of 6650 nm, but still not close enough.

The A340, depending on version could make the trip, but doesn't look like we will see anything like this for awhile.

A340-200 - 8000 nm
A340-300 - 7300 nm
A340-500 - 8650 nm
A340-600 - 7500 nm

linemech

Latest posts