Us Airways Warns It Could Collapse By Feb.

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
US Airways warns it could collapse by Feb.

CHARLOTTE (Observer) - US Airways needs immediate cuts in its labor costs or runs the risk of going out of business by mid-February, the airline told a bankruptcy court in filings late Friday.

See link

Regards,

USA320Pilot

lets see now labor gets wacked for an additional $38,000,000 a MONTH and management plans to cut thier benefits by $13,000,000 a YEAR yea that sounds like shared sacrifice alright. :blink:

$38 million dollars a month savings is far less than the original ask of $800 million dollars a year in labor cost savings. That surprises me, I thought it would be higher. I must be missing something somewhere.

Jay

JayBrian said:
$38 million dollars a month savings is far less than the original ask of $800 million dollars a year in labor cost savings. That surprises me, I thought it would be higher. I must be missing something somewhere.
Jay
[post="184405"][/post]​
yea lets see now $456 million a year from labor and $13million from management only comes to $469 million but as you state the original goal was $800 million from labor alone. hmmmmmm that leaves $331 million not figured into that cut. guess it was some poor enron bookkeeping huh! :unsure:

Today the Charlotte Observer wrote If the airline's cash level drops below certain amounts on a weekly basis -- for example, $550 million at the end of next week -- the ATSB has the right to demand repayment. If that happens, the company would hand over its remaining cash and start selling assets, causing the airline to close.

The filing says that, without immediate labor cuts, aircraft debt and lease payments due in January and February, combined with reduced passenger revenue in the slow winter season, would drain needed cash and leave it unable to operate.

Cash projections in Friday's filings show that the airline predicts it will stay comfortably above those ATSB minimums. The company's agreement with the ATSB runs through Oct. 15, when it is expected to try to extend it.

At the same time, Friday's filing sketches a scenario under which the company would be able to emerge from bankruptcy as a "viable competitor." Any cuts would not take place until a bankruptcy judge holds a hearing, which the company has requested to be held Oct. 7.

USA320Pilot comments: It appears from Friday’s filing that management may be able to keep much if not all of the 282 mainline aircraft in operation and resume CRJ-700/900 and EMB170/195 aircraft delivery’s either through court ordered or consensual labor agreements. This is good news and could prevent the implementation of the 150 mainline aircraft fleet plan, out of seniority furloughs, no severance pay, and no MDA opportunities, for those who desire this alternative.

When would now be a good time for each union to follow the Dispatcher’s and obtain TA’s? The Dispatcher’s have a 10.3% pay cut and every other employee has a court motion and probable October 7 hearing to have a 23% pay cut with other onerous conditions "imposed".

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Friday's filing says that with the company's proposed interim cuts, the average pay per US Airways employee would fall to $45,822 -- less than the $59,509 today, which is the third-highest in the industry. The new amount would be less than the average pay at Delta, Northwest, American, Continental, United and Southwest, but above that of other low-cost airlines such as JetBlue and AirTran.

What CWA employee makes 59,509.00 this is a lie ........we don't even clear the 45,822.00
HOW CAN THEY SAY THIS AND GET AWAY WITH IT.

It gives the impression that all employees make 59,509.00 .....
PLEASE TELL ME THUNION IS ADRESSING THIS .... PLEASE!!!!!!!

DO THE MATH 20.30 PER HOUR IS ABOUT 38,500 yearly
-23% 15.60 PER 29,500 YEARLY

That doesn't include any deductions for medical dental 401k savings
I REPEAT ANY DEDUCTIONS.....................................

ok ill say this all usairways employees go to 29,500 and im in
I mean all pilots all management all of corporate

ALL EMPLOYEES ...THEN IM IN TAKE OR LEAVE IT

TransatlanticFlyGuy said:
The AVERAGE employee pay was that..not a CWA, not ALPA, not IAM. Read more closely before you go and rant.
[post="184416"][/post]​

I can read but still do the math there is no way this is right a blanket statement like that gives a wrong impression .....period

Doc said:
ok ill say this all usairways employees go to 29,500 and im in
I mean all pilots all management all of corporate

ALL EMPLOYEES ...THEN IM IN TAKE OR LEAVE IT
[post="184417"][/post]​
What kind of bubble do you live in man? Good lord..have every employee, regardless of position make the same $ amount? Brilliant! Glad we dont have you working in CCY.

TransatlanticFlyGuy said:
What kind of bubble do you live in man? Good lord..have every employee, regardless of position make the same $ amount? Brilliant! Glad we dont have you working in CCY.
[post="184420"][/post]​

Trying to make a point......omg come on do you really think anybody cares who makes what ....
may I ask your position at U

Oh and by the way where did USA320PILOT go post cut and paste this crap then leaves whats wrong USA320PILOT would you be scared to make 29,500.00 might not be able to keep that new car or that boat or what ever else you pilots have for toys welcome to the rank and file

Mod note: Don't mention first names.

Do only pilots have boats or new cars? This whole attitude of thinking what "other people" should make stinks! You are about to find out what a judge thinks YOU should make.

Hey 320, Feb. is a great month for hiring Wal-Mart greeters and yes I would like a sticker. It will be a great job for a guy like you, also I will be busy in feb. can they please hurry it up. ;)