Us Airways Warns It Could Collapse By Feb.

I suspect this current regime will continue to return to the labor groups for more until finally the entire operation shuts down. If the dispatchers are under the illusion that this pay cut is the final, they will surely be in for a rude awakening very soon. Lakefield/Glass/Bonner have NO PLAN, except to keep picking the pockets of labor until the company turns a profit. You're employees should always come first in a business to be successful, but unfortunantly, we call come in someplace along the bottom. The BK judge should seriously consider putting a Trustee in charge of this company because no one here has any faith or trust in the current group.

My take on what is going on...Usairways is the new "TWA". Management will take and take and take...ect ect ect. This is no way an insult to my fellow ex TWA employees.

Winglet said:
If I were a creditor who had any chance of salvaging anything, I'd want this carnival shutdown now before Lakefield and his boys have any more time to burn down cash and shovel it out the backdoor.
[post="184726"][/post]​

Amen to that.

I've been saying that since March...

The company has said it is losing at least $1 million a day.

Who pointed this out in March of 2004? And more importantly, why hasn't management done much to correct this? Maybe if management had found a way to limit this loss, then the burden for over $1mil/day would not come from the employees...

700UW said:
Funny,

How does ALPA advisor's know when and if the judge will implement any cost savings without a hearing or hearing any arguments from the union attorneys.

For example the A330 outsourcing would not save the company money, it will actually cost them more. An A319 cost over $500,000 per plane to outsource, a A330 will be at least double that. Funny it does increase the company's cost if the work remained in-house since we all ready have the mechanics on hand to do the work.

I hope those advisor's are different then the ones who said take concessions to keep your pension.

I would not count the chickens before the egg hatches, but we all know your M.O. anyhow.
[post="184433"][/post]​
700, AS FAR AS COSTING THE COMPANY MORE, YOU KNOW THAT IS bs!!! WHEN YOU FACTOR IN all THE BENEFITS, SICK, VACATION,INSURANCE, ETC, ETC, you KNOW IT COSTS MORE!!!! We have approximately, what, 4200 mechs?? Southwest, JetBlue, what do they have??? Post FACTS!!!! Don't try to do an " end around"!!! GOOD DAY!!!!

700UW said:
You know your anti-union bias is showing.

The biggest thieves in this company ie, Siegel and Glass are non-union.
[post="184521"][/post]​
OK, 700, and at this point in the game, your consant diatribes of " unionism" is going to "save" us????? Give me a break!!!!!! Your mentality just kills me!!!!! GOOD DAY!!!!

NeedForSpeedNFS said:
OK, 700, and at this point in the game, your consant diatribes of " unionism" is going to "save" us????? Give me a break!!!!!! Your mentality just kills me!!!!! GOOD DAY!!!!
[post="184781"][/post]​
Save your breath on him and his like minded cohorts who believe more in their union than God Almighty.

If the IAM wins the bus work it will be a hollow victory, it's symbolic and will mean more when U is gone and they can go on and tell other poor souls how they fought and won the U mechanics bus work.

Take the IAM, or any union's leadership and then take the company leadership and set them sit by side and then tell me with a straight face what difference you see. Besides the company side having more sheep skins in their possession, there is absolutely no difference, they’re all human, fallible and looking out for number one.

We have approximately, what, 4200 mechs??

I think at last count we had about 3300 mechanics actually working out of about 6000 or so on the senority list. The others have either quit the company or are furloughed. LCC JetBlue currently starts the mechanics out at about $25/hr plus a little shift differential. U mechanics topped out will make about $23.40/hr if the company gets there wish.....

Yes, U has around 3300 active mechanics...but what the less informed fail to understand is our fleets diversity Vs. the LCC's that management and their APLA-esque drones want to accept.

FL...has a Fleet of B717-200...and are just now recieving B737 NG's ( Two narrow body types

HP..Has a few B757-200, A320/A319's and some B737-300's (All narrow bodies)

F9.. All Airbus narrow bodies....hence reduced costs in logistics , tooling and training. ( How Brilliant is that?)

WN....A mix of B737's (All narrow bodies)

US... A330-300's , B767-200ER's , B757-200's , A321's , A320's , A319's and B737-400's and B737-300's (Wide Body work requires more manpower to work...and we have more of everything , what fools worked this out?

Plainly stated...U is NOT set-up as an LCC...nor can it be compared to one in it's present form. The diversity , training and certainly the logistics of keeping such a diverse operation prevents a side by side comparison in a logical world.

U can be an LCC....but to be one , you have to mirror one ..then beat them at their own game. Clearly U is not a contender in a head to head comparison..but then again we have always been far to small to compete with the other legacy carriers too.

AP Tech said:
We have approximately, what, 4200 mechs??
I think at last count we had about 3300 mechanics actually working out of about 6000 or so on the senority list. The others have either quit the company or are furloughed. LCC JetBlue currently starts the mechanics out at about $25/hr plus a little shift differential. U mechanics topped out will make about $23.40/hr if the company gets there wish.....
[post="184820"][/post]​
They will get their wish, that’s a given or there won’t be an airline.

Now consider this: At that rate and if one actually needs to use their medical benefits on a regular basis, you’re screwed. Management has mentioned in the past they wanted more contributions for medical, which would make it beyond ludicrous. Then to hold your job and you will most likely be in a city you don’t want to be, away from your family paying to live there weekly and on top of that, working a shift you probably hate with other mechanics who are also all pissed off at the world and rightly so who just don’t care about your problems having their own to worry about. This makes for a workforce that will be disgruntled at best and of course you will have managers who are scared to death of losing their own jobs and will make your life miserable, even more miserable than it already is with discipline actions that are not even reasonable. This is just the IAM’s situation and I am sure other union groups don’t have it any better and probably even worse is some cases.

So, we have all this and an airline that is supposed to not only survive but be a good place to earn your living! I am laughing right now because it’s that damn funny.

The unions are not going to able to save you from the big bad wolf who some named Jerry. Unions are only people and a few leaders and those leaders are up to their necks in dodo right now hearing from all the disgruntled members and can do nothing for them except give them an sympathetic ear. In the IAM I have a few friends who are in trouble and receiving zero help from the IAM, zero. One person had to hire their own attorney just to get unemployment benefits, still pending while they wonder how to buy food.

This is one ugly mess and it’s both the unions and managements fault and not one person or one thing. This best thing for an employee to do at this point is to move on. Of course this is my opinion only but a lot of my co-workers sure as hell agree.

Everyone can write whatever they want on these boards and it won’t change jack s-h-i-t. It might help as therapy for some but that’s about all it will do.

To the few malcontents that want to PM me and scream at me. Go ahead, I don’t give a whit what you do because I will consider it therapy for individuals who surely need it because they were too stupid to give up while they still possessed their sanity.

To the remaining calm and rational employees, “mostâ€. consider this a journey that was a rough ride but one you grew stronger on, and now you will be able to move forward to calmer, securer, and most of all a more peaceful existence. U is not worth your health and mental well being and most folks know this while others are filled with extreme hostility costing them their very health.

¡Bueno adiós y la buena suerte mis empleados U prójimos, lo que un paseo lo ha sido!

cavalier

US Airways internal website called theHub.com lists the following employee headcout:

Pilots - 3,228
Flight Attendants - 5,561
Mechanics & Related - 4,741
Fleet Service - 4,549
Airport Ticket/Gate Agents - 4,075
Reservation Sales Agents - 1,758
Other - 3,936
TOTAL - 27,848

The major difference between JetBlue and US Airways for Mechanics & Related is that JetBlue performs no heavy maintenance, only has line maintenance mechanics, and has no utility (cleaner) personnel. Cleaners at US Airways earn about $20 per hour, can earn overtime, and in some cases double time.

In the case of JetBlue crewmembers clean the aircraft and in some instances it's contractors who clean that make minimum wage.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

PitBull:

PitBull asked: "Why did the company state 34,000 employees in their filing?"

USA320Pilot comments: The bankruptcy filing was for US Airways Group, which includes Material Services, MDA, PSA, and Allegheny/Piedmont, which provides more employees than approximately 28,000 at the mainline.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Latest posts