US Airways withdraws DL offer

Does anyone seriously think the bankers/lawyers are going to walk away from this deal-making opportunity?

Well, unless you chose to ignore the creditors statement, I think they just did.
It is unlikely anyone else will pony up the kind of money Parker did, and time is running short.
Bottom line is Parker failed to eliminate his biggest competitor.

Sad news...now the industry can continue to languish in poor margins, poor long term results, significant overcapacity...we'll likely see the lagacies back in this same boat in the next downturn. What then...more paycuts, benefit cuts, and so on.

It would be nice to see this business treated more like the unregulated industry it is as opposed to a local jobs program for every Chuck Schummer in Congress.

If the industry was
"treated more like the unregulated industry it is as opposed to a local jobs program for every Chuck Schummer in Congress."
Then there would have been no government bailout after 9/11. The healthy airlines at the time would have lived, DL had one of if not they strogest balance sheets at that time, and the airlines that were not that sound would have gone out of buisness. This would have meant USAir and soon after America West would have gone CH7.

WT, you still claiming to be just an interested DL passenger? Because to me it seems you laid low these past couple of months due to the probable fact that you are in DL management and felt it wasn't wise to say much. Just wondering.

hey coach, that's not what you were saying a month ago.

Sore loser are we?
I know coach and he was never in favor of this merger. He is a dedicated US employee who only wants to see his company solve their problems. He is one of the nicest guys you will ever met and was cut from the same bolt of cloth as Boeing Boy. Both are true gentlemen

Wrench,

I'd be perfectly happy with that. UAL and AA would likely have gone away as well. Then again, AA might have survived since UAL was in much worse shape and gone away first, thus benefitting AA. I don't think DL would be any different as that healthy balance sheet went away on 9/11 with Michelle burns leveraging everything she could immediatly. The debt they took on that day was at terrible rates etc. and could have dragged them down in the same way it did. Most of the bailout money (outside the loans) didn't really do that much overall. I'm a fan of exactly what we saw US and HP do...take two weak companies and make one strong one. It worked for the railroads...see Conrail. Many bankrupt railroads were merged by the gov't to form one of the strongestr railroads in the business until it was purchased a few years back. Merge a weak US with a weak HP, merge a weak UA with a stronger CAL, merge a weak NW with a stronger AA, merge DL with AS. That's just my theory though.

You won what - a horrible management team... LOL - you folks are absurd - and praise the south you won :up:
Here is some free advice for you. When having to eat crow, it is best to eat it quitely and quickly.

The DL management team knows how to run an airline and has proved it. Yours knows ponzi schemes but have yet to prove whether they can even do that. They certainly do not know how to run an airline. They do however know how to cash checks they did not earn. BTW, how are those contract talks coming along. Can you say cost neutral?

You have no idea what US has done. You have united the employees and the management as one for the first time in 20 years. They DID put you out of business several years ago and my guess will they will now do so again. Only this time there will not be a HP to save you. You need to be very very afraid.

See YOU in BK4

I know coach and he was never in favor of this merger. He is a dedicated US employee who only wants to see his company solve their problems. He is one of the nicest guys you will ever met and was cut from the same bolt of cloth as Boeing Boy. Both are true gentlemen

And the beer's on me Jim if you are ever in So Cal.

Here is some free advice for you. When having to eat crow, it is best to eat it quitely and quickly.

The DL management team knows how to run an airline and has proved it. Yours knows ponzi schemes but have yet to prove whether they can even do that. They certainly do not know how to run an airline. They do however no how to cash checks they did not earn.

You have no idea what US has done. You have united the employees and the management as one for the first time in 20 years. They DID put you out of business several years ago and my guess will they will now do so again. Only this time there will not be a HP to save you. You need to be very very afraid.

See YOU in BK4
L4p, DL managed this company into bankrupcy, didnt they? As you know Im a relative newcomer so fill me in on when US was put out of business, did I miss something? These are strictly business decisions and have gotten way too personal. Would it have been fun to see how successful these two airlines could have been working together, yes! but will each survive? Only time will tell. I hope your trip to LAS was successful and you get caught up with all these threads. Affectionately, Mama

L4p, DL managed this company into bankrupcy, didnt they? As you know Im a relative newcomer so fill me in on when US was put out of business, did I miss something? These are strictly business decisions and have gotten way too personal. Would it have been fun to see how successful these two airlines could have been working together, yes! but will each survive? Only time will tell. I hope your trip to LAS was successful and you get caught up with all these threads. Affectionately, Mama
No, the management team in place now was put into place after the BK. Whole new team.

The old US was days from shutting the doors until your company bought them.

As we say out my way, thems the facts......

Great market BTW, and I'm bone tired. Not looking forward to the red eye tomorrow night.

• Banned
DCaf,
I'm really trying to wean myself off of these internet boards. 4000 posts on two boards is too much.

I'll come out to play every so often but I have to move on to other things in life.

Besides, DL is returning to health and is well positioned to compete and be the world class carrier it once was. It was always my intention to see them through that process.

No, the management team in place now was put into place after the BK. Whole new team.

Sorry, but not true.

CEO Gerald Grinstein took the reins at DL on January 1, 2004.....20 months before DL filed BK. While much of DL's fate was already sealed prior to Grinstein taking over, I would argue that Grinstein's indecision and poor moves during his first year in charge were really the final nail in the coffin that sent DL into Ch11.

Sorry, but not true.

CEO Gerald Grinstein took the reins at DL on January 1, 2004.....20 months before DL filed BK. While much of DL's fate was already sealed prior to Grinstein taking over, I would argue that Grinstein's indecision and poor moves during his first year in charge were really the final nail in the coffin that sent DL into Ch11.
Sorry, but Grinstein put this team together in the past two years and put them into place to turn the company around.

Jim Whitehurst became COO July 2005 and Ed Bastian became CFO in July 2005 as well. Glen Hauenstein joined DL in April 2006 in August of 2005 and is credited with the growth of the current route structure and increase in RASM. Lee Macenzak became Executive Vice President and Chief Customer Service Officer in July 2005. Joe Kolshak became Executive Vice President and Chief of Operations in you guessed it, July 2005. None of the senior management that was in place when Grinstein took over remain in place today. They are ALL gone and have been for at least the past 18 months.

You may want to check your facts next time......

DCaf,
I'm really trying to wean myself off of these internet boards. 4000 posts on two boards is too much.

I'll come out to play every so often but I have to move on to other things in life.

Besides, DL is returning to health and is well positioned to compete and be the world class carrier it once was. It was always my intention to see them through that process.
I didn't really expect you to be able to answer my question, and you didn't. More DL public relations. Good luck on that weaning thing.

Back