US business parter UA plans to return to basics, Business blueprint presented to creditors

Status
Not open for further replies.
----------------
On 6/13/2003 1:13:01 AM will fix for food wrote:

----------------
On 6/12/2003 11:17:28 PM Chip Munn wrote:

Here''s the report:

Airline – Yield RPM

US – 13.05
AA – 11.86
CO – 11.57
WN – 11.54
DL – 11.33
NW – 10.76
UA – 10.54

Source: AVMARK, Inc.

----------------​

You forgot one other DOT listed Major...American Eagle, with a yield of 29.79

----------------​
As a side, compare the yields of CO, UA, DL, and NW to the yield of Southwest. Kinda counterintuitive, isn''t it???

Chip:

I have some more substantive questions for you:

1. While correctly noting that United''s May 2003 Pacific RPMs "plummeted" by 47% compared to the previous May, a much larger drop than was seen by Northwest, do you believe that United''s greater exposure to the main SARS-affected countries (due to more nonstop flights from the U.S. to places like Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Taipei) might be the cause?

2. Don''t you think that United might have done a better job than Northwest of matching Pacific capacity (ASMs) to Pacific traffic (RPMs) in May, since United''s capacity dropped by 85% of its traffic while Northwest''s capacity declined by only 50% of its capacity?

3. Don''t you think that without the SARS-induced traffic declines seen by many carriers in May, mostly in the Pacific, United''s 13.8% drop in system RPMs would have been less than US Airways'' 11.9% decrease?

WARNING: TRICK QUESTION (NO NEED TO ANSWER, IT''S GIVEN)!
4. How did US Airways'' Pacific results in May compare with those of United or Northwest? Oh, wait -- US Airways doesn''t have a Pacific operation, so there''s nothing to compare.
DISCLAIMER: SORRY, I JUST COULDN''T HELP MYSELF ! BACK TO THE SERIOUS QUESTIONS.

5. Are you concerned that US Airways'' domestic RPMs in May declined by 15.0% while United''s domestic RPMs dropped by only 0.8%? Should US Airways'' code-sharing business partner United be concerned by this comparison?

6. Are you concerned that US Airways'' system load factor in May declined by 0.1 percentage points to 73.5% while United''s system load factor increased by 4.0 percentage points to 77.2%? Should US Airways'' code-sharing business partner United be concerned by this comparison?

7. Regarding the airline yield numbers you quoted from an Avmark report, what time period do they cover? Perhaps more importantly, are those yield numbers adjusted for the variation in each airline''s average stage length to make it a meaningful comparison?

Chip, I agree with you that United must solve its revenue problem in order for the carrier to have a long-term future, but IMHO "United''s code-sharing business partner US Airways" is not on firm ground yet either. I look forward to your answers to my (mostly) serious questions.

Cosmo,

You hit the nail on the head, and beat me to the punch.

This is a perfect example of Chip not illustrating the whole picture, in an effort to slant the "facts" in his favor.

How can anyone overlook the effect of SARS and the decline in traffic to the Pacific. These are historically some of our most profitable routes, and not subject poaching by the likes of JBLU and WN.

Gee Chip... notice the 2 airlines at the bottom of your list. NW & UA. Who has the most exposure to problems in the Pacific? You figure it out.
As Cosmo points out, it''s certainly not USAir.

Cosmo also posts some other interesting questions. We are all looking forward to your spin.

To all: Don''t waste too much time sweating over Chips posts. Everyone pretty much has him figured out by now. He is certainly just trying to stir the emotional pot.

Piney, while I can understand your distaste for UAL, considering what you posted, I must agree with several posters, who view Mr.Munn in a somewhat dim light.

The story of Mr.Munn and UAL does go back a few years. When the U-UAL merger was on, several people from U was already clamoring for the B-777 seats, figuring that is where U seniority would catapult them. Obviously, that made for some interesting debates.

Is Mr.Munn merely report the wholesome facts, or is there indeed some agenda behind the statements put forth. While aspirations are one thing, achieveing those through the demise of other peoples careers, is bound to create controversy. U finds itself in better fortunes, due mostly to a government guarantee, the lawmakers has considered reopening the window and more importantly, there is now a chance UAL may receive such aid. Should that occur, UAL will be better situated than U. I am sure, Mr.Munn would not be happy, should UAL desire to aquire U and take his rightfully earned seniority away.

Found this and while it is old news, it does not paint a pretty picture of U:

"For the 3 months ended 3/31/03, revenues fell 10% to $1.53B. Net income before accounting change totaled $1.64B vs. a loss of $286M. Results reflect a decline in RPMs and a decrease in yield, offset by $1.92B credits from reorganization items."

If the accounting charges are discounted, it would appear, that U is still loosing money. Moreover, Mr. Siegel recently stated, that in his opinion, recovery for the airlines is still not expected untill 2005. If U does not fix the revenue picture soon, the financial drain may be unsustainable.

----------------
On 6/13/2003 10:56:35 AM PineyBob wrote:

Perhaps there is a reason for the rancor and almost childlike glee... ----------------​

As a paying customer, you have a right to critique airlines based on your personal experience. IMO your experience with UA is not representative of that of a vast majority of our customers. (at least not lately) And I hope if you give UA another try we can prove that to you with superior comfort, reliablity, safety, and convenience. While your axe is justified, Chip has no ligitimate justification for his.

----------------
On 6/13/2003 12:29:00 PM 767jetz wrote:

How can anyone overlook the effect of SARS and the decline in traffic to the Pacific. These are historically some of our most profitable routes, and not subject poaching by the likes of JBLU and WN.
----------------​

But aren't you two making C Munn's point for him? BAD NEWS for UAL is Bad News. Bad news is really bad when you're in bankruptcy. I guess it is understandible that your are reading more into C Munn's post, considering the extreme effort he puts into his subject. But I don't recall him stating that UAL was morally incapable of recovering, or didn't deserve to survive. Is it material that SARS isn't UAL's fault? er, no. Yes, the clock is ticking. No, UAL hasn't been setting the bankruptcy world on fire. Will this matter... who knows? But no matter how you slice it, poor yield is poor yield and bankruptcy court and the financial community isn't likely to give UAL a pass because of SARS.

Is your point that UAL's brilliant strategy (obviously just cost cutting, lease slashing, operational performance and maybe more advertising) is going to shine through once the SARS issue is behind UAL? Well, that's a theory. I hope you're right.

But U is out of bankruptcy? I don''t get this. I''m not making any value judgments, much less moral judgments of who deserves what. I don''t think you have to read those into Chip''s postings, either.

In fact my whole post was premised on the lack of moral judgments. Hey, maybe the previous posters are correct and excuses (SARS ate my homework) count in bankruptcy court. Honestly, I''m not much of a poster, it''s just the illogic that gets me.

So the financial world is going to overlook UAL''s prospects for future success, because of SARS? I can understand the premise that past data don''t predict future performance, but that''s ALWAYS true! How can you compare U''s prospects over the past year with UAL''s prospect over the coming year? This may be a contest between U and UAL for some of you posters, but I couldn''t care less.

In my job, we call that ''time machine'' thinking.

----------------
On 6/13/2003 1:08:00 PM RowUnderDCA wrote:

Is your point that UAL''s brilliant strategy (obviously just cost cutting, lease slashing, operational performance and maybe more advertising) is going to shine through once the SARS issue is behind UAL? Well, that''s a theory. I hope you''re right.
----------------​

That''s basically what US did in Chapter 11. The only wrinkle (if you can really call it a wrinkle) was replacing the capacity parked since 9/11 with 200 or so new RJs moving forward. That''s it.

Stones, glass houses, and all of that.

UA is still losing $10 million-plus per day. As long as that's the case, it will never get financing and never emerge from Ch 11.

767jetz,

I agree UA was worth trying again, and I did. They have a direct ORD - MHT I have taken that flight several times since I could get miles on US. Each flight was worse than the one before, and the Friday night of Memorial Day weekend was one of the worst experiences I have ever had with an airline. I am assuming that was my last flight on UA, since my last boycott of the airline lasted more than 15 years

Well U or UAL isnt going to rule the world for a long time if ever. There has been more human suffering in this business recently than i have seen in 44 years all put together. Chip has said he wishes no ill will towards any employee from UA so i will take him at his word. Remember Chip doesnt write the music. He just sings the song.

----------------
On 6/13/2003 12:14:31 PM 767jetz wrote:

----------------
On 6/13/2003 10:56:35 AM PineyBob wrote:

Perhaps there is a reason for the rancor and almost childlike glee... ----------------​

As a paying customer, you have a right to critique airlines based on your personal experience. IMO your experience with UA is not representative of that of a vast majority of our customers. (at least not lately) And I hope if you give UA another try we can prove that to you with superior comfort, reliablity, safety, and convenience. While your axe is justified, Chip has no ligitimate justification for his.

----------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Denial deep denial is what I read here as well as other UAL employee posts. U may not even make it for crying out loud and as far as I am concerned UAL is history waiting to happen. Dead dog, no leadership, old stuck in the mud archaic airline model trying to reinvent itself entirely too late in the game. Things are beyond bad when employees agree to farm out their own work costing them their very jobs. There have been companies in better shape than UAL that are now history. A company in bankruptcy, slashing tons of jobs, floundering and losing millions daily requires more faith to believe UAL will survive then simple vanish, it''s common sense no MBA required! Of course this is only my personal opinion and you don’t have to agree or even like it, you may even get angry, but guess what, it doesn’t change a thing, UAL is still dying a concern and will soon be the concern of no one, she will be a distant memory just like Eastern and all the many others who went through the same song and dance before death finally won.
May she rest in peace.

----------------
On 6/13/2003 12:29:00 PM 767jetz wrote:

Gee Chip... notice the 2 airlines at the bottom of your list. NW & UA. Who has the most exposure to problems in the Pacific? You figure it out.
As Cosmo points out, it''s certainly not USAir.
----------------​

Just to add my $0.02 to 767jetz SARS comment: one can also look at what effect SARS had on YYZ and AC. Ofcourse, the SARS wasn''t as bad in YYZ as in Asia (unless you happen to visit a YYZ hospital ) and yet it still had devestating effects. Actually its pretty tempting to speculate how UALs performance would have been without the SARS outbreak.

I do believe that UAL is being secretive about what they are really going to do, because the moment they open their mouths, all the other carriers follow suit. I think we could all agree on that one. Raise fares, lower fares. Start a low cost, not start a low cost. I think you all get my point. Keep the compitition guessing on what will be the next move, and confuse them until you have them where you want them. I mean you wouldn't tell your ememies (in a buisness sense) what your every move was going to be? Would you? We learn this as kids playing battleship, and many card games. Something is definitly brewing over at UAL. Could possibly be that merger that they have wanted for years and years. I think they are also pretty smart on not exiting BK sooner than later. Did anyone mention that oil prices are on the rise?

On another note... June is really the month that everyone should be watching UAL, because it is the first full month that all employee pay decreases go into effect. About 213m a month in savings for UAL. I think U has had that advantage over the other carriers because of the painful pay decreases.

“In my opinion, I believe the UA employees may be in denial and you might want to focus on some of my warnings. In a recent UA thread I was chastised when I said that UA’s revenue was lagging its peers. However, AVMARK Consulting recently released network carrier and WN Yield RPM and as I predicted, before the information was made public, UA is dead last in revenue. How can that be and how could I have known this before the information was made public?â€￾

Did you include average stage length in your “analysisâ€￾? What time period was covered by AVMARK’s yield study? You mean you could look at last Q’s numbers and see UAL’s yield per RPM was lower? Gee, Chip, are those numbers based on ASM? No? So an airline that has a 78% LF may be getting more revenue PER FLIGHT than an airline with a sub 70% load factor with a higher “yieldâ€￾? When I speak of revenue, I’m referring to our revenue recovery, and I alos consider STAGE LENGTH. But I guess in your world, we should be flying “jungle jetsâ€￾ or EMB-120’s, since eagle blew all our yield numbers away.:

“Furthermore, let’s look at some other factsâ€￾

To call your statements “factsâ€￾ is BEYOND a stretch, some are outright WRONG.

“... has filed a motion against UA to obtain the McKinsey & Co. reports and analysis for the restructuring business plan. Unless there was a reason to hide something, why would UA not willingly provide this information to the key parties who have to vote on the POR?â€￾

Yes this IS true. But the company WOULD like to keep some aspects of the business plan out of the public domain. UAL got good press from the “buy three, fly freeâ€￾ campaign. Had that program been in the public domain, you can rest assured that NWA, AMR, DAL or even U would have pre-empted them.

â€￾2. Six key airports, LAX, SFO, DEN, ORD (all part of the UCT); as well as VHP and NYC airports jointly filed a motion against UA to force the airline to pay its debts or if monies were not transferred, the airports could serve eviction notices.â€￾

And if bullfrogs had wings they wouldn’t have to hop. Keep dreaming, I guess U would come rolling into ORD and DEN with all those RJ and LAX, SFO with the “big ironâ€￾ and fly the pacific….right….

â€￾3. UA entered bankruptcy in early December and for the first 60-days did not have to pay aircraft lease expense. Shortly thereafter, the Company reached interim wage concessions from all unions, which basically became the new contract wage rates, and during the first four months of this year the carrier lost more money than any airline in the world, when it did not have to pay all of its bills.â€￾

Chip, have you ever had a course in accounting? Lets actually LOOK at some of the numbers from UAL’s Q1 report. DYK that UAL’s Q1 labor costs were reported as approx the same as the 1st Q 2002, DESPITE THE MASSIVE PAYCUTS AND 7.5 THOUSAND (9.5%) FEWER EMPLOYEES? DYK the 1st Q numbers reported only a 3.8% drop in “AC RENTâ€￾ YOY? Why gee, with 60 days “freeâ€￾, and subsequently lower lease rates, shouldn’t that number be at least 67% lower than the prior year? Do you think there is a difference between GAAP accounting and “cash flowâ€￾ accounting, ESPECIALLY IN BK? Please acknowledge, for once, that the 1st Q numbers DID not include reduced labor costs and reduced (or even “free) leases. I would like you to acknowledge it so that I know in the future if you are still quoting these numbers (despite knowing better), that it must be to attempt to put a slant on the facts.

â€￾4. In my opinion, UA’s biggest short-term challenge is the airline must be cash flow positive in October, which appears unlikely. In fact, UAL chief financial officer Jake Brace indicated this acute problem in the June 4 WSJ article when he said that the airline could still miss some of its financial targets by late summer. Interestingly, on May 30 the Associated Press reported while officials of the airline express confidence that United also will meet its lenders' May 31 benchmark, it must make dramatic improvement to get back to positive cash-flow by the end of October as required.â€￾

Take a CLOSE look at the 1st Q numbers and you’ll see that UAL, with it’s new cost structure, is AMAZINGLY close to being operationally cash flow Neutral ALREADY!

â€￾5. Also noteworthy, speaking at the Star Alliance news conference at the National Press Club on May 31, UA chief executive officer Glenn Tilton said, "United's chief problem now is not filling plane seats, but low revenue."â€￾

And that’s different from which airlines? Of course (with one of the highest load factors of all the majors) filling seats ISN’T a problem.

â€￾7. On June 12 NW reported its May Pacific RPM’s fell 26 percent on a 13 percent reduction in capacity. NW’s chief U.S. Pacific competitor -- UA -- said its May Pacific RPM’s plummeted by 47 percent with a 40 percent reduction in capacity. Also noteworthy, UA’s May load factor rose to 77.2% from 73.2%, but its systemwide RPM’s dropped 13.8% in April – the highest drop in the industry. What should be concerning is that UA is carrying significantly more passengers and earning much less money. In fact, the Chicago-based airline’s April RPM drop was the highest in the industry and lags its peers. Again, who first broke this news on this message board before it was made public?â€￾

You are kidding right?! UAL cut back MORE than anybody else for the months of april and may. So we took a bigger RPM hit than other airlines, DUH. Yet our LOAD FACTOR went up SUBSTANTIALLY (which typically has a POSITIVE effect on yields,( what time frame was your irish consulting firms numbers from?). The net result? UAL got a SMOKING deal on the leases of our 400’s after we demonstrated a lack of “needâ€￾ Now we are adding back 162 flights to the june schedule and an additional 54 to the July schedule.

â€￾8. Busdrver, on June 11 you wrote “the revenue picture (I've checked, it is improving and the companies emphasis is now on revenue generation now that the turnip is bled out)â€￾, but on the very next day UA reported a huge revenue drop that is the worst in the industry. Furthermore, AVMARK consulting just released a report indicating UA was dead last in Yield RPM. As a UA employee who checked on UA revenue, can you tell me how you “checkedâ€￾ on UA’s revenue numbers to dispute my claim, when your company publicly released dismal revenue numbers less than 24 hours after your post?â€￾

UAL DID NOT REPORT A HUGE REVEUE DROP! They reported a huge RPM drop, on a MUCH larger drop in ASM’s (which means we cut flights to save money, but unlike U, we actually had a HUGE jump in Load factor). THERE IS A DIFFERANCE!! Let me make myself clear, UAL’s YIELD is improving. That’s a fact. We are adding back over 10% of capacity (are you?). Again, for what time period is AVMARKS study? June? July? August? Even UAL doesn’t know exactly what the June yield will be. But they DO know if the months is shaping up to be better than in the past. The “fare bucketâ€￾ changes DAILY.

â€￾9. Finally, US entered bankruptcy with conditional loan guarantee approval, exit financing, and an equity plan sponsor. However, after more than six months in bankruptcy UA said it’s now beginning the process to find exit financing. Why has nobody stepped up to the plate, at this point, to lend UA money, when US had all of these financial agreements complete before filing for its formal reorganization? If UA were definitely going to be solvent and it had such a strong franchise, doesn’t it make sense people would be willing to lend the airline money, like they did with US?â€￾

You had to go to a loan shark to get dip financing. UAL went to a BANK. Do you understand that there is a difference? You got conditional approval because you ENTERED BK with a huge level of concessions. UAL did NOT. Had UAL had YOUR level of cuts prior to the last ATSB denial, we would have likely gotten the loan and not even entered BK. You can rest easy that UAL WILL have plenty of money to exit. Some reports indicate UAL may not even NEED a big infusion of cash to exit. We weren’t the ones down to 500 million in cash. How many times have UAL’s DIP lenders publicly threatened to pull the plug on “Dipâ€￾ financing? How about U?

â€￾In conclusion, can any UA employee tell me where one point, just one point listed above, is inaccurate?â€￾

Was that enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.