US enhances stand-by policy but keeps the $100 fee -- is management out of control?

KCFlyer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/18/2002 9:09:45 PM ClueByFour wrote:
[P]I am going to go out of my way to fly on the UA coded US flights to avoid the standby charge. US is going to get lunched on this, as the rest of the industry is running away from the $100 fee.[BR][BR]Generating some more revenue would certainly help the current situation. This is _still_ not the way to do it.[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]My wife was stranded a couple of weeks ago at ORD. She was flying United and everything was delayed. She was speaking with a gentleman who was originally scheduled to leave at 11 a.m., but he said he's stand by to get any earlier flight. UAL charged him $100. As things turned out, there was no space on any of the earlier departures, so he was sitting at the gate at 5:00 p.m., preparing to board the flight he was originally scheduled on. He asked the agent about a refund of his $100 stand by fee, since he was flying on the original flight and was told "Sorry, it's not refundable". So I don't see what the code share is gonna buy you.

From the US website -- just posted

US AIRWAYS ENHANCES NONREFUNDABLE STANDBY FARE POLICY
ARLINGTON, Va., Dec. 18, 2002 – US Airways announced today that it has enhanced its standby policy for customers traveling on nonrefundable fares. Effective immediately, customers holding confirmed reservations and tickets may obtain a confirmed seat on alternate flights earlier or later on the same day of travel, per the rules of the fare purchased, for a nonrefundable $100 fee.
Customers can now confirm seat assignments on flights with the same origin and destination as flights in their original itineraries. New itineraries cannot be confirmed more than four hours prior to departure of the new flight, and confirmation must be completed at the airport. In the event the desired alternate flight is sold out and no confirmed seat is available, customers will still be able to stand-by for last minute seats, per the fare rule, subject to the nonrefundable $100 fee.
Reporters needing additional information should contact US Airways Corporate Communications at (703) 872-5100.

I am going to go out of my way to fly on the UA coded US flights to avoid the standby charge. US is going to get lunched on this, as the rest of the industry is running away from the $100 fee.

Generating some more revenue would certainly help the current situation. This is _still_ not the way to do it.

something doesn't sound right -- the stand-by fee on UA was not to start until 1/1/03 and the fee is only payable IF you got on.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/18/2002 10:54:20 PM planeedge wrote:
[P]something doesn't sound right -- the stand-by fee on UA was not to start until 1/1/03 and the fee is only payable IF you got on. [/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]Apparently it started December 2, 2002. I know my wife, and she's not prone to exageration. She simply relayed what was told to her by the gentleman waiting for his flight.

It's a license to gouge. These fees are collected at whim and the rules are so bizzare that nobody knows what they mean or under what circumstances they apply. And since everything imaginable is labeled as "non-refundable" once you hand over your money seeing it again is unlikely at best. Regardless of whether the service that you pay for is ever rendered.

Today I'm flying on a fare that allows stand-by -- or at least it would have earlier this week. In fact I went out of my way to purchase a "more flexible" fare and paid more than I had to in order to do so. I'm likely to try and stand-by since I can get to the airport earlier than expected, my confirmed flight is very full and when I last checked my upgrade hadn't cleared and the earlier flight has open seats. But I'm willing to bet that the agent will be confused and attempt to charge me for it. I'm less willing to bet that I'll succeed in explaining that this ticket is not subject to the "enhanced" stand-by rule.

I don't understand how continually creating incredibly arcane and complex rules and restrictions is supposed to be helping. This is stupid. I don't need to do this.

Is UM intentionally trying to put us out of business? If so, I suggest these "enhancements": $200 unac minor charge (400 if a conx), $250 pet charge-300 if in cabin (why? why not?), $25 charge for "aisle seat towards the front of the plane", $50 for exit aisle, $175 for any checked bags over the limit of none, $25 per carry-on, etc, etc.

Sounds stupid? Give 'em time.

INVOL

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/19/2002 4:22:57 PM Biffeman wrote:
[P]You know what you passengers are spoiled and selfish.[BR][BR][STRONG]If you buy a ticket to a specific sporting event and you miss it what is your ticket worth?[BR][BR]If you but a ticket for a specific movie at a specific time and you miss it what is your ticket worth?[BR][BR]If you buy a ticket for a broadway show for a specific time and date what is it worth?[BR][BR]If you buy a ticket for the super bowl and miss it, what is your ticket worth?[BR][BR]So why should you be treated differant than any other consumer who buys a ticket for those events?[BR][BR][BR]I say you don't use it you lose it![/STRONG][/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]Great Idea. Let me resell a ticket that I can't use, just as I can for a sporting event, movie, broadway show, or super bowl. That's some flexiblity those examples offer me that an airline ticket doesn't. Make the tickets transferable and you got yourself a deal. [/P]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/19/2002 4:22:57 PM Biffeman wrote:

You know what you passengers are spoiled and selfish.

So why should you be treated differant than any other consumer who buys a ticket for those events?
----------------
[/blockquote]

I can resell my ticket to the types of events you mention. US can then attempt to sell the seat I vacate.

Think of it as a pax union--we are trying to "defend the quality of life of the craft," or whatever excuse the IAM used at Eastern.

Boof,

Those tickets are also transferable, airline tickets are not. I am not one to defend passengers who find all the loopholes and abuse the ticketing rules, but our fare structure is hopelessly broken and no one in CCY seems to care (BEN B I AM TALKING TO YOU!!!).

Use caution in who you address your comments to. Our customers pay our checks. If the management cannot structure fares properly to make a profit, it is not the customer's fault for buying a good deal. If passengers are such an inconvience, may I suggest you look into freight carriers for employment?

Actually some of those things are good ideas. Some people would pay more for an aisle or window seat. There should be fees for things like that hmmm Not a bad idea ill forward that one! Keep the good ideas a comin!

You know what you passengers are spoiled and selfish.[BR][BR]If you buy a ticket to a specific sporting event and you miss it what is your ticket worth?[BR][BR]If you but a ticket for a specific movie at a specific time and you miss it what is your ticket worth?[BR][BR]If you buy a ticket for a broadway show for a specific time and date what is it worth?[BR][BR]If you buy a ticket for the super bowl and miss it, what is your ticket worth?[BR][BR]So why should you be treated differant than any other consumer who buys a ticket for those events?[BR][BR][BR]I say you don't use it you lose it!

[BR][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/19/2002 4:37:59 PM Biffeman wrote: [BR][BR]I was talking about missing it totally and you still had your tickets, no tickets for movies, shows or sporting events are transferable after the event is over.----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE][BR][BR]Someone usually knows if they won't be able to use their airline ticket. If I had tickets to the super bowl, but one week before the game find that I have to go out of town on business, I could sell my tickets to someone else and they could go. I'd have to eat the airline ticket though. Too bad I couldn't sell him a package deal and not take a loss. And by the way, check some of your fares that are subject to the "use it or lose it" penalty... not all of them are the ones that are loss leader fares. I found a CLT-MCI flight for $800 that was "use it or lose it". If you can't make money on that fare, you might just deserve to go out of business. Nickle and diming your passengers is not the way to return to profitablity.