US ever serve RDG Again

BuffaloJoe

Veteran
Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
Will US ever serve RDG again? They had decnt loads from here when they flew the DH8 and D38's here. Levels came down when Mesa's Air Midwest took over with those B-1900D. RDG can handle small jets, a Southwest 737-700 comes in about 2 times every month for a Disney Charter. I am not asking for a 737, maybe an RJ E-135/145 would be sufficient. They built a new terminal and Air Midwest pulls out. I flew RDG-PIT when PSA and Allegheny flew it and they were always 20-25 regularly. I flew the route at least 2 times a month. When air Midwest took over, their planes were dirty and service was mediocre. I kept flying them till they pulled out, but I would suffer cancellations and delays more frequently with them. That may cause some traveler's to find alternaives. Air Midwest planes were smaller (19 Seater) than the normal loads of PSA and Allegheny. The 19 seaters at 1st were overbooked and about 6 months later they began to dwindle. I know the PHL-RDG flights were generally empty but for them to discontinue RDG was unjust. Allegheny used to be based in Reading. They were Suburban Airlines before that. I just would like to have the convienience of flying from my Hometown Airport than to drive to PHL, 5 minutes to RDG and 90 to PHL (On a Good day with no traffic). It's worth another $125-175 more for me.

I think the A.D. that plagued the airport for years was a large part of US' departure and transfer over to LNS. They had been receiving EAS subsidizing for years (via distance waiver) with the hopes that grants provided to expand the airfield and bring in more service. When the A.D. blew the cash, the government pulled the EAS waiver.

Finally they have a new A.D. and Airlink Express and Manassas Air are getting in gear to provide service. Its good to see some service back into RDG (I'm seeing flights come in regularly) so perhaps in the next few years they could bring service back.

-JC

I think the A.D. that plagued the airport for years was a large part of US' departure and transfer over to LNS. They had been receiving EAS subsidizing for years (via distance waiver) with the hopes that grants provided to expand the airfield and bring in more service. When the A.D. blew the cash, the government pulled the EAS waiver.

Finally they have a new A.D. and Airlink Express and Manassas Air are getting in gear to provide service. Its good to see some service back into RDG (I'm seeing flights come in regularly) so perhaps in the next few years they could bring service back.

-JC
US used to run a few Charters out of RDG a month with 737's....More business lost to SWA...

Those were US 737s that were chartered out from RDG (before switching over to WN 737s)? Interesting fact!!!

-JC

RDG never had EAS. RDG is not 75 miles away from PHL.LNS gets EAS due to the fact that they list the drive to PHL via turnpike.

RDG did infact get EAS while it was still in service. They received a waiver as they were right inside the 75mi perimeter.

LNS had service years ago, was outside the 75mi range so EAS was provided, and they were sick of dealing with RDG's A.D.

-JC

RDG did infact get EAS while it was still in service. They received a waiver as they were right inside the 75mi perimeter.

LNS had service years ago, was outside the 75mi range so EAS was provided, and they were sick of dealing with RDG's A.D.

-JC
I was unaware of the waiver. But still I believe RDG can be profitable with a few flights out of here. Does it have to be PIT? I think they can consistantly fill a E135/145 from RDG to CLT. 2 flights a day that would have decent times for connecting. I remember the RDG-PIT flight that flew to PIT arrived at PIT after the bank left, so we had to wait several hours at times which made it very unappealling for travelers. I just hate the 90 Min + drive to PHL. well worth paying more.

BJ

I know PI had the Shorts 360 and the Shorts 330. May be the Beech 99
the DASH-7 and 8. I dont know which one or more they flew into RDG

That was right after Allegheny/Pennsylvania Airlines moved their HQ to MDT. What type of planes did they operate?
They had a Fleet of B-1900's, and many of them were former Penn Commutter A/C.
PI Commutter never flew into RDG, but Suburban did and they had their home office in RDG. Suburban merged with Penn, and became Allegheny then everything was relocated to MDT.