Us Vs. Delta

Light Years

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
With all the publicity about Delta's CEO "retiring", I've been reading over stuff about DL...

USA Today mentioned that they have the highest costs in the industry... I thought that was us! Are we being LIED to? (Never!) And they are non-union aside from the pilots.

Most interesting I've read is analysts finding fault in thier "over-reliance on Regional Jets"... this is an airline with pretty expansive international service and hubs placed throughout the country. Delta (mostly through Comair) pretty much pioneered the RJ concept, but has the poverty wage aluminum tube replacement jet business plan gone too far?

I think the 70 seat jets (particularly the EMB170-190 product) are the next "revolution" and are perfect for US Airways traditional route system... if they dont mess it up ("Don't forget to paint Express on the fuselage," "First Class? Oh, never mind." Not looking so good). However, our business plan has been and continues to be shrinkage of the mainline and replacement, not growth, through contracted, inferior and countless 50 seat RJ operators.

Discuss!!!

Without digging thru the internet to check, I think Delta's CASM were slightly higher than ours in the 3rd quarter. But they are the last to come to the "concession party" so presumably their costs will drop over time.

I've seen some remarks about the "RJ glut" also. The 70-seaters are the new wave. I can see the day in the not too distant future when mgt will "have to fly 90-100 seaters on express to make money".

Latest posts