USAirways/America West Merger Talks -WSJ

longing4piedmont said:
The US Airways-America West talks are known as "Project Barbell" because US Airways is big on the East Coast and America West on the West Coast, with a modest number of transcontinental flights between them, said people close to the matter......

[post="263099"][/post]​
I don't think we USAirways and America West are that big so maybe it should be called "Project Dumbell" :huh:

longing4piedmont said:
Hey, I was giving you a tremendous amount of credit here. I think you may have taken offense to my post. I assure you none was intended. No doubt your vast powers of discernment have enabled you to know the financial terms of this deal and the third party players involved from reading an article in the WSJ. Your limitless knowledge of the two companies involved has been exhibited here time and time again. I was just trying to alert all here that there was no need to even wait for the deal, much less the details, to go through as you had provided a glimpse of the future
[post="263112"][/post]​

Okay, hows this - GE pours so much money into this deal that THEY end up bankrupt. Airlines burn thru millions of dollars a month - how long do you think GE will allow that to happen, or, do they look at an investment of a billion that returns losses in the millions as a good thing? And how does GE purport to ease the transition of the workforces? Sorry dude - if America West wants to expand on the east coast, why not lobby GE to finance that move AFTER US folds? Heck, negotiate the rights to buy the name USAirways, although at this point in time, I don't view that name as an asset - might as well call it Piedmont.

hmmm, considering that AWA started operations in Aug 1983, and most of the U pilots have at least that much seniority (as do the F/A's), this will be intersting to say the least. Is it AFA at both airlines? The pilots are NOT entitled to DOH, but I believe the F/A's are if they are both AFA. Career expectations....?

Then to the fleet. U's parking all the Boeings, while awa has a smattering of 737's and 757's. I'm wondering who is going to be the sacrificial employees when 'efficiency' dictates less jets/ flight hours.

I know America West is AFA, and I am pretty positive they are also ALPA. If there would be a merger the F/A's have to intergrate by seniority, not sure what the pilots do though. I have a friend at AW and he said they are talking about it there too.

OK everyone. Don't start putting in your transfer request for PHX tomorrow morning. There is plenty of time ahead.

Yup, I'm hearing this as well. It will be out on the Wall street journal tomorrow.

Here we go again....

if they can pull this off, this will be one great huge airline with some great international destinations....a great money making machine...

good luck to all

This can never happen.
LLC AWA uses REAL glass in F/C while Legacy U uses Plastic.

It can't be True !

AWA used to have 747s flying to Hawaii in the early 90's. I guess you could say they are going back to the future. This ought to be interesting....

Back