USAirways/America West Merger Talks -WSJ

aerosmith said:
320's got to much time on his hands (colated posting) ought to be flying more.
[post="264135"][/post]​
Listen to whose talking pal...you are sitting on your tuff collecting and posting more that you ever did.... :p

aerosmith said:
320's got to much time on his hands (colated posting) ought to be flying more.
[post="264135"][/post]​

Time on layovers. Reserve captains (and F/O's on certain aircraft) at US Airways are flying between 19-21 days a month! No kidding!

eye in the sky states:
"US Airways is the toxic lover of the airline singles scene. Over the years, it has hooked up with good carriers. But their good never overcame pathologies that seem the one constant of US Airways. advertisement "

That was Usairways management. When AWA finishes the deal it will be AWA Mgt. running the show which will make the majority of U employees happy or they don't have a clue.

Hey 320pilot, I guess you won't get to fly a 747 after all. Gonna laugh my ass off when you end up junior to a ten year AWA captain!

skyflyr69 said:
When AWA finishes the deal it will be AWA Mgt. running the show which will make the majority of U employees happy or they don't have a clue.
[post="264178"][/post]​
skyflyr69,
Hate to be the one to burst your bubble but if you think the majority of employees at AWA are you happy you have obviously been drinking way to much kool aid.

I work with a number of individuals who's wife's work at the res center for AWA in Tempe and they say the turn over rate there is incredible, why is that? Being's I work at Skyharbor airport I cant begin to tell you the number of times I've been on the bus going from the employee parking lot to the airport and have over heard either a pilot or a f/a complain about how the HP treats their employees.

I work with at least a dozen EX AWA employees who tell me that working at your favorite airline was by far the worst experience of their life. From what I understand the working condition's are horrendous and the pay's even worst!
Maybe its the employees at HP that dont have a clue... or perhaps even you :huh:

tug_slug said:
skyflyr69,
Hate to be the one to burst your bubble but if you think the majority of employees at AWA are you happy you have obviously been drinking way to much kool aid.

I work with a number of individuals who's wife's work at the res center for AWA in Tempe and they say the turn over rate there is incredible, why is that? Being's I work at Skyharbor airport I cant begin to tell you the number of times I've been on the bus going from the employee parking lot to the airport and have over heard either a pilot or a f/a complain about how the HP treats their employees.

I work with at least a dozen EX AWA employees who tell me that working at your favorite airline was by far the worst experience of their life. From what I understand the working condition's are horrendous and the pay's even worst!
Maybe its the employees at HP that dont have a clue... or perhaps even you :huh:
[post="264187"][/post]​

It sounds like a match made in Heaven with usairways, let the rice fly!! :D

Attachments

• rice.jpg
    rice.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 177
I don't even want to get started with that one....have you ever noticed it the people who except the company to provided them with everything under the sun, but yet they don't want to put any effort or *work* at all. aka "Silver spoon"

If you don't like your job, LEAVE. Why complain and be miserable when one can get another job. From what I see there are thousands of employees at HP just happy with their job and they don't complain.

Pilot and FA's #### about everything under the sun, including the sun itself when it gets in their eyes! Plus if you ever believe a "rumor" or "sure fact" that a pilot or FA tells you, then boy do I have some land in Flordia to sell you.
**disclaimer: not all pilots and FA's are like the preceeding note, but it can be proven by polling gate agents from airlines accros the world about who complains the most.

Once again, IF YOU DON"T LIKE YOUR JOB, GET A NEW ONE! I do not see anyone at HP or U holding a gun to your head forcing one to work.

said my peace......hey it is cold outside again! :up:

They may not be holding a gun to my head but they are holding a $20000.00 buy out over it. June is my month and I am HAPPY TO LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big R

Gee Tug Slug, you mean you actually overheard a pilot or flight attendant complain? I don't believe it. I WON'T believe it!

I think resurrecting the PACEMAKER logos on the aircraft would stimulate business with the Sun City retiree crowd!

RowUnderDCA said:
did I read correctly? Did U's prese release state:

US Airways said the discussions were about a ``potential strategic transaction.'' ??
[post="264062"][/post]​
Yes..that would be a "PST"

Everywhere I read, I see a comparison between the US Airways-HP "merger"/"strategic transaction" with the the USAir acquisition of PSA.

The yeasayers say yea because they see a "good fit" (route network, a/c) with costs in line with one another that at least has a fighting chance with WN. They also say they see a more favorable regulatory environment. The naysayers point out USAir's acquisition of PSA and Piedmont, and even AA's acquisition of TWA, as examples of a transaction doomed to fail.

But isn't the best reason for a "yea" that we have, now, the benefit of hindsight? Haven't there been any lessons learned? That US Airways and HP won't make the same mistakes when looking at the profitable routes to preserve, the back offices, the fuel hedging policies (or lack thereof), and dealing with the seniority lists? Or do you believe US Airways and HP have not learned from the mistakes of the past (especially US Airways) and are bound to repeat them? (I'm getting the feeling that most people believe the latter.)

If for some reason a merger does come to fruition, and the new US Airways does turn a profit, is it going to remain committed to keeping costs low? Are the work groups going to clamor for a piece of the pie beyond today's hard-to-fathom promise of profit-sharing, and want their base wages raised? (After all, although still low, inflation runs about 3%-4% a year... people are gonna want at least a cost of living increase.) *If* there is further consolidation beyond US & HP and there does turn out to be fewers seats and therefore *some* pricing power returns - doubtful, because "prices are sticky downwards" (was it John Maynard Keynes who said that?) - will US Airways steer clear of the temptation to re-complicate the better-but-still-complicated fare structure and to discreetly increase departmental budgets?

Doesn't anyone see that the airline industry, inherently cyclical on so many levels (e.g., seasonally, macroeconomically), will expand-and-contract, ebb-and-flow? That for every consolidation, a new carrier, albeit possibly short-lived, will sprout up to act as the proverbial pin in the inflated balloon? Will the new US Airways be prepared to handle the peaks and the troughs? Will they learn that it's a good idea to hedge fuel, in good times and bad? (Wasn't it Southwest who said something like, "We manage in the good times like it is the bad times"?) Will they learn how to keep labor costs low (other than severing/furloughing people, outsourcing beyond our borders, and asking for concessions)?

Back