Usairways Eyes Nashville for Future Reservation Center

I understand the home-based res system works very well for JB and I think U should embrace the concept. The ability to monitor employees at home is fairly easy these days and call quotas could probably even be increased since there are few or no distractions. It seems to me that sick leave will not be abused, and tardiness would be reduced. This system should not be used as a means to avoid childcare expenses, since children would be a distraction... this would have to be on the honor system, or there might be surprise home visits from supervisors. Also thinks like no televisions or radios blaring in the background... our customers should not know that they are talking to somebody wearing their hubby''s boxers, LOL. U could pay a monthly office space allowance in lieu of office rent and still come out ahead. And of course, U should pay for phone lines, high speed data lines, and computer equipment. It would also be relatively simple to set up an "on-call agent" system to handle unexpected high call volumes, and U could pay an on-call rate for thos agents not yet working, bumping up to the regular rate once they start taking calls. Incentive systems work well and I think the incentives of this type of an arrangement are well worth testing this model.

The at-home folks will come in handy soon, when the ATO agents will be replaced by "kiosk attendants" and the kiosks won''t be able to do ticketing changes (yet).

"I''m sorry, you''ll have to use the phone over there for anything more than check-in."

INVOL

----------------
On 4/4/2003 1:45:10 PM ScottishWitch wrote:

Why not Baghdad? Kabul? Timbuktu? I''m sure we could find cheap labor and other fun things...

----------------​
just keep your eye on pittsburgh...nashville may be right.
''top o'' the mornin'' to ya!

How about IND since UAL closed two res centers there. The space could be taken over by U without much expense involved. Cost of Living is cheap in low slow IND. Besides, if U were to move res to IND, my radar senses tells me this would be an indication of an eventual merger down the road after UAL comes out of Chap 11. Just a thought!

----------------
On 4/4/2003 9:28:32 AM DCAflyer wrote:

I understand the home-based res system works very well for JB and I think U should embrace the concept. The ability to monitor employees at home is fairly easy these days and call quotas could probably even be increased since there are few or no distractions. It seems to me that sick leave will not be abused, and tardiness would be reduced. This system should not be used as a means to avoid childcare expenses, since children would be a distraction... this would have to be on the honor system, or there might be surprise home visits from supervisors. Also thinks like no televisions or radios blaring in the background... our customers should not know that they are talking to somebody wearing their hubby''s boxers, LOL. U could pay a monthly office space allowance in lieu of office rent and still come out ahead. And of course, U should pay for phone lines, high speed data lines, and computer equipment. It would also be relatively simple to set up an "on-call agent" system to handle unexpected high call volumes, and U could pay an on-call rate for thos agents not yet working, bumping up to the regular rate once they start taking calls. Incentive systems work well and I think the incentives of this type of an arrangement are well worth testing this model.

----------------​

The whole basis behind the new telecommuter job option is to reduce benefits...and therefore reduce costs. You get to work out of the home...no commuting, no gas expenses, no need to worry about the weather. Quality assurance at my company is easy to execute - as our software (completely web-based) allows us to record & monitor calls...as well as actually look at the agent''s desktop. If we find something we don''t like...we can pull that agent off the call in one click and take it over or disconnect it.

Agents don''t get sick time...infact none of our people do; it is all provided as vacation time. They can access this time back at anytime - though significant usage of it as Emergency Vacation (under 48 hours notice) can result in corrective action up to termination.

The other key point, which you made, is the cost for office space, hardware and an internet connection. Most systems out there will run over a standard 56K dialup connection on almost any computer you can buy now (or that was made in the last 3 years). The downfall to dialup is the ability to have another phone line just incase the system won''t run using VoIP (voice over IP). The dream setup would be a relatively new computer, connected to a broadband DSL or cable line, and the at-home agent has their own high quality headset with amp (plantronics). My company will not pay for the agent to have the highspeed line put in or to have a fast enough computer. However, the agent can deduct these from their taxes at the end of the year as a business expense. To ensure a high quality sound call...we''ll provide the heatsets and amp - just that it''ll be payroll deducted; anyone can buy the stuff themselves off E-Bay pretty cheap as well.

Bottom line...U should look into this as a cost cutting measure, but they shouldnt get drawn into paying for all the equipment - that is the agents responsibilty and should be one of the requirements for the position.

Latest posts