USAirways....from tomorrow's headlines.....

missthe727

Senior
Dec 19, 2006
This was in Friday's Pittsburgh Tribune Review......Hysterical but sad...I almost choked on my coffee when I read it !!! :shock:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/opinion/columnists/heyl/s_571278.html

Modern air travel like a subway in the sky

RIPPED FROM TOMORROW'S HEADLINES...................

By Eric Heyl
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, June 6, 2008

Ripped from tomorrow's headlines:
TEMPE, Ariz. -- In another move designed to streamline skyrocketing airline costs, US Airways announced today that it no longer will provide seating to passengers who fly in coach.

Seats still will be available to those in first class. But beginning July 1, those purchasing coach tickets will spend their flights holding onto subway-style straps dangling from the carry-on baggage compartments.

"This is a win-win for the airline and consumers," US Airways CEO Doug Parker said at a news conference at the airline's headquarters.

"It will significantly increase the fuel efficiency of our airplanes, as well as virtually eliminate frequent passenger complaints that the seats are too narrow and spaced too closely together."
Facing soaring fuel costs during a severe economic downturn, airlines have been laying off employees, raising various fees and eliminating what once were standard offerings on their flights.

American Airlines, for example, announced last month it will charge $15 for a single checked bag. Delta passengers pay $25 for making reservations via telephone. US Airways no longer provides complimentary in-flight peanuts and pretzels.

Parker called the removal of coach seats "a natural next step in this ongoing process." He reacted angrily when asked if the move could cause some passengers to feel as though they are being treated as little more than cattle.

"That's ridiculous," he said. "Cattle have hooves. They aren't capable of gripping straps."

Industry experts predicted US Airways would realize additional savings from going seatless in coach by eliminating its inventory of items typically stored in seat backs.

"There is every indication the airline no longer will be providing in-flight magazines, air sickness bags or emergency instruction pamphlets," said an analyst with Amalgamated Aviation Observers Inc. "Where would they put them?"

In addition to the recent snack cutbacks, Parker said that US Airways soon plans to stop providing passengers with any beverages -- including water.

"We're confident most passengers will be able to stay sufficiently hydrated, even on coast-to-coast flights, by recycling their own perspiration," Parker said.

"And we're going to make it easier for people to do that by disconnecting the wiring on all airplane air conditioning."

Although the airline plans to remove every restroom from its fleet by year's end to further increase passenger capacity, Parker insisted the lack of facilities would not pose a significant inconvenience to people.

"We're cognizant that not everyone can stave off nature's call on a trans-Atlantic flight in which the plane sat on the runway for three hours before taking off for no discernible reason," he said.

"That's why we're going to begin allowing people to bring their own diapers or catheters on board -- for a modest fee, of course."

Eric Heyl is a Tribune-Review staff writer. He can be reached at [email protected] or 412-320-7857.

This was in Friday's Pittsburgh Tribune Review......Hysterical but sad...I almost choked on my coffee when I read it !!! :shock:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/opinion/columnists/heyl/s_571278.html

Modern air travel like a subway in the sky

RIPPED FROM TOMORROW'S HEADLINES...................

By Eric Heyl
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, June 6, 2008

Ripped from tomorrow's headlines:
TEMPE, Ariz. -- In another move designed to streamline skyrocketing airline costs, US Airways announced today that it no longer will provide seating to passengers who fly in coach.

Seats still will be available to those in first class. But beginning July 1, those purchasing coach tickets will spend their flights holding onto subway-style straps dangling from the carry-on baggage compartments.

Who Cares About The Pittsburg Tribune Anyway! They Have ALWAYS Hated Usair(ways) Anyway..DEL BY MOD :down:

MOD NOTE: Do NOT quote entire posts when responding, ESPECIALLY when the post you are commenting on is on the same page.

Don't give them any ideas...about 2 years or so NY Times ran an article where Airbus was pitching a standing room option to their planes.

Original NY Times Article - http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/25/business...p;ex=1303617600

Related graphic:
0425-biz-webSEATch.jpg

The main article reminds me of southwest’s new AD campaign against us …. Their disrespecting us ……. we need to answer them back …. :ph34r:

Personally I think we should use YouTube and whip up some quick low budget adds where we mock southwest’s always happy front line workers . Or better yet ,doesn’t southwest appear in some TV show ? we could take clips from that show showing distressed PAX and workers at their worst and splice it into an attack add that ends sayings something like “do you REALLY want to start your summer vacation with customer service like this :eek: ?â€

You see the thing about trying to change the masses minds isn’t necessarily being truthful, just repetition and being close to factual sounding …

You see the thing about trying to change the masses minds isn’t necessarily being truthful, just repetition and being close to factual sounding …
So, you want to lie. Tear down a company that is doing everything right because the company you work for will not. SWA, the most unionized and highest compensated making the most dollar per unit cost of any carrier in the industry. and you are so jealous you want to hurt them instead of actually compete with them. Destroy what you cannot have.

Pathetic and disgusting.

Note: I said "will not" in the second sentence. You may wish to ponder why I said that and not "can not".

Quick edit: Freedom. Notice SWA ads do not lie about what goes on with other carriers. But you want to lie about SWA. Is it because, finally, you are embarrassed about what your company does? or, perhaps just infantile.

"Disrespecting us" That's rich.

Quite awhile ago Herb Kelleher was asked the single biggest reason for WN's growth and success. Do you know his answer? Well I do and it was,

US Air

It was even on that confangled contraption thingy called a TV set .....on a show called 60 Minutes. 24 Months after merging with PSA, the economy was in the tank much like now, (minus $4.00 @gal) petrol, "leisure fares" were not paying for the operation anymore. So US Air in a typical "knee jerk bad management decision retreated the operation EAST.

Kellerher later said if US had held out in CA for another 6 months SWA would have pulled out. :angry:
So U bought alot of houses, disrupted alot of lives, gave up most of the routes, and bought the most expensive MD-80s to bring back east with alot of unhappy campers. Just another example of cranal anal inversion management much like now, (minus $4.00 @gal) petrol.

History always seems to repeat itself.