usairways and execs will meet tomorrow

etops1

Veteran
Dec 6, 2003
US Airways, Delta execs to talk in person

Dawn Gilbertson
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 29, 2006 12:00 AM

Two weeks after they launched a hostile takeover for Delta Air Lines, senior executives of US Airways will get to make their pitch in person on Thursday.

Representatives from both airlines and Delta's creditors are due to meet for the first time in New York. The creditors committee is a key player in Delta's bankruptcy case.

Elise Eberwein, senior vice president of people, communication and culture for Tempe-based US Airways, confirmed the meeting but would not disclose the date, location or other details. But insiders confirmed the meeting will be held Thursday. advertisement

CEO Doug Parker, President Scott Kirby and other top executives are expected to present their airline's case. Some US Airways executives flew to New York on Tuesday after meetings at the airline's hub in Charlotte, N.C.

The meeting is bound to be tense, at least initially, because Delta has made no secret of its disdain for the $8 billion-plus US Airways offer that caught it off-guard. The Atlanta-based airline said it wants to emerge from bankruptcy as an independent airline.

"Ideally, what would happen is we would go in there and, putting emotions and other things aside, go through what we think is compelling information," Eberwein said. "We're excited because we think we have a really good plan."

She said US Airways would like to emerge from the meeting with the go-ahead to study Delta's books. It's called due diligence and is a critical step in any formal merger pact.

Delta spokesman Anthony Black declined to comment on the airline's expectations from the meeting.

"We're obligated to review their offer and are scheduled to meet with US Airways at some point in the future," he said.

Bill Morey knows what employees would like to see next on the merger front. A 30-year company veteran based in Los Angeles, he sits on the five-member Delta Board Council that represents employees at the largely non-union airline.

The group distributed red "Keep Delta My Delta" buttons to show its feelings after the proposed takeover was announced.

"You would hope that it (Delta's stance at the meeting) would be compelling and that Mr. Parker would think twice about the value of continuing down this path," Morey said. "I don't think that'll happen, but that's what you would hope."

This is going to be the motherload of all PowerPoints.....love to be a fly on that wall.

It is beginning to sound like "We know how to run an airline."

Deja voodoo all over again.

And just like 1988 and 1989 NO ONE is running this here show. If my mortgage didn't depend on it, I might find it hilarious.

Latest posts