Value vs. Price or when is it more then just a seat

Old PSA

Advanced
Aug 26, 2002
www.usaviation.com
After many, many years in the airport, I can say that all passengers are handled just about the same. Except of course Perferred status and First Class passengers. A bulk fare ticket is dealt with the same as a full fare (not seen very often). Whether its seat assignment, baggage limits, and irregular operations, they are all getting the same. Since we can't raise the fares, then lower to services to lower fares. If we have 1st class, then we should have 2nd class and 3rd class and 4th class.

As an example, web, bulk and bottom tier fares, no advance seats, 1 piece of checked baggage and online reroute only during when a flight is cancelled or delayed with no amenities. Electronic ticket only, no end to end ticketing, no interlining, no combining of fares and kiosk checkin only (where available) are some other possibilites. And no upgrading, no flight changes, use or lose it, no special services allowed like oxygen service or pet carriage, no special meals.

Just a thought.

I think you''d be better off removing the rules and restrictions instead of adding still more to an already insane list.

The more complicated you make it the more expensive it becomes.

A simplified and streamlined structure would better match the current reality that you describe. And it would facilitate a lot of productivity improvements -- which the company needs a lot more than they need another 5% or 10% out of your payrate.

Tom...cannot agree anymore!!! We do need to simplify the fare structure. Instead of going with a BA7 non advanced fare why not go with your non restrictive fare structure to a Y,B or M. Any changes made just the difference of the fare needs to be made. As far as restrictive non refundable type ticket, keep the advance purchase restrictions but for a vol change either the difference or the 100 dollar change fee what ever is greater. And the main sticking point for me is to once again allow NR type tickets to be put towards Non restrictive type tickets but all NR fare rules apply. I cringe at each time that a customer has a NR ticket and I cannot use it towards a Non restrictive ticket. IMO lots of revenue lost.

There are a lot of us who are buying discounted tickets who''d pay more for more flexibility, but not the exorbitant fares being charged. A few weeks ago I needed to go to DCA out of CMH on just a few hours notice. The round-trip quote I got was $840, which is outrageous for an hour flight on an RJ. Insofar as the ticket was coming out of my own pocket, I used miles for the trip. I simply could not justify the cost of the ticket -- it was just too expensive, and I''m not exactly poor. That $840 I saved will help make for a nice weekend in Paris this fall, probably upgraded on a systemwide. Meanwhile, I find myself using Southwest more and more for last minute trips because their walk-up fares are a lot lower than the majors. In the meantime, US is losing revenue to a competitor from a customer who''d much rather be on US. We''re not trying to rip off the company, we''re just trying to manage our own finances in a tough economy.

Simple concepts....

Treat your employees well. Build loyalty and trust. Have fun. Offer low fares, basic service. No interlining of bags and passengers. Give the customers a reason to fly us again. Kenny Freidkin got it, so did J. Floyd Andrews, and yes Herb Kelleher did too. Still does.............

Dave and his team are just more of the same. SWA continues to kill us. Just how much more will RSA put up with before they pull the plug.