video of A-319 & DC-9 in MSP

its amazing how there was no fire or explosion!

Honestly people... you've been watching too many movies. Jet fuel is not like gasoline. Jet fuel is akin to oil and needs a VERY hot ignition source to burn. A punch in the wing alone will only allow it to run out.

Honestly people... you've been watching too many movies. Jet fuel is not like gasoline. Jet fuel is akin to oil and needs a VERY hot ignition source to burn. A punch in the wing alone will only allow it to run out.

Prehaps you should examine the photos of the collision a tad closer. True a punch in the wing only allowed it to run out.......however, it was running out right into the overhead section of the DC-9s cockpit. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Here is a news article written shortly after the incident...

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_130211546.html

As for the aircraft...an Airbus AOG team was able to salvage the A319 after major repairs to the aft spar on the right wing and completely replacing the empennage (the section of the fuselage just behind the aft pressure bulkhead). The DC-9 was unrepairable and eventually was scrapped.

Ouch. I'm surprised that this aircraft was is was deemed economically viable to repair, compared to the A319 involved the the LGA mishap. The LGA aircraft looked like it wasn't as badly damaged yet was written off.

In looking at the video, I am surprised at that it took so long to deplane people on the Airbus. It looks like the DC-9 was deplaned first, using the aft airstairs. Then the Airbus, using the slide. If there was no great rush, why not whel out steps, rather than risk people getting hurt from going down the slide?

Amazing video. I remember reading about the incident last year, but had no idea the DC-9 was going so fast.

What I remember, it's the fumes that catch fire not the liquid itself. I'm surprised we didn't have a dead pilot in the cockpit. :shock:
Jenny, to a point, you are correct. Gasoline fumes will ignite with a heat source <spark> vs. Jet-A which has a Flash point. The kerosene will not go off unless the heat is at or above the Flash point. You can throw a lit cig in a 5 gallon bucket of Jet-A and it will not ignite unless the fuel is at Flash level. Flash points of Jet-A usually range above 113 degrees F. Hope this helps.

<_< ---- Hydraulic failure? An tribute to "SCAB" maintenance???? :shock: When will they learn? Next time it could cost someone their life's, and one helluva Law suit for Northworst!!!! :down:
Stratocruiser and Spock covered this but its not the first time MCI transplant has screwed up by accusing the Scabs of screwing up when it was the AMFA's watch. I still find it amazing that when something like this happens its ignorant Scab Maintenance but when this type thing happens to Union Boys their Hero's. :lol: Give me a break already.

Back